Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal V Celtic - 2nd leg - Emirates

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Nice goal Eboue.
    2-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

EBOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEE

They aint booing him now :)

Nice finish

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love you Eboue :D

Time to rest players now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

All over now, 2-0 Eboue. Good goal, kept his head as they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Meh, preferred the 1st goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

good goal, arsenal are impressive, I hope they can topple man utd and l'pool this season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I wonder will the same posters calling for Eduardo to be banned be as quick to call for their own players to be banned who engage in it.

To be fair some of the times i see nani dive and see him clutch his throat has made me think send him off tay feck, that dive is worse than anything nani's done

Have been impressed with Eboue this season, I hope we keep him

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    kept his head as they say.

LOL, George Hamilton said that right after I posted it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Finally, we have a legit goal:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I wonder will the same posters calling for Eduardo to be banned be as quick to call for their own players to be banned who engage in it.

I've openly criticised anyone who dives for Liverpool on here. Rule sare the same for everyone

Have been impressed with Eboue this season, I hope we keep him

I think that's a forgeone conclusion now.
    Wenger will only bring in now if anything.

curry-muff wrote: »
    To be fair some of the times i see nani dive and see him clutch his throat has made me think send him off tay feck, that dive is worse than anything nani's done

Fair play, but I have been on here at times when x team has played and a player from that club has dived and no call from said supporters of club to have him bannded.

As far as I know it is the first time Eduardo has done it, and I hope the club take some internal disipline action and someone sits him down, it is not acceptable from any player, sadly it is part of the game now which is a problem for most clubs.

imo it has made no difference to the result of the tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Disgrace from Eduardo.
    Any player at that kind of nonsense should be banned for a few games. It would cut it out fast enough. Video evidence should be used to retrospectively punish these players.
    I dont give a toss that he broke his leg or that he feels "vulnerable" or that he "isnt like that".
    Its far to common in the modern game.
    As Giles and the lads said though, until managers condemn their own players and there is some way to retrospectively punish them (in fairness refs cant get it right in real time all the time) it will keep happening.
    I think the tie was as well as over before the goal, but still, its awful to see any player at that crap and get away with it.
    It isnt the first and it wont be the last time we see it this season however.

When he sees it himself it will probably bring back all that pain he suffered when some else made a terrible decision.
    I think that embarrassment will be enough to wake him up to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

and I hope the club take some internal disipline action and someone sits him down, it is not acceptable from any player

I haven't seen Eboue dive in a while actually. Do the same with Eduardo as they have with Eboue.

Did Hamilton just call Sporting Lisbon "Sporting Portugal" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Stekelly wrote: »

Celtic may aswell through a few manly tackles his way now , let him knw what a tackle feels like.

I think he's got a fair idea tbh :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Do they not play the offside rule in the SPL or something? The Celtic forwards have been very poor all night.

• Advertisement

He should but won't.

What kind of idiots run football these days? How hard is it to ban players who dive, or use goal line technology? Really doesn't make any sense.

Yeah don't like those players who use goal line technology - nasty :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Wreck wrote: »
    Do they not play the offside rule in the SPL or something? The Celtic forwards have been very poor all night.

the whole celtic team have been to be honest, I'm very disappointed

draffodx wrote: »
    good goal, arsenal are impressive, I hope they can topple man utd and l'pool this season

Yep and the real test starts Saturday...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/4842424.stm

This is from way back in 2006
    Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has called on referees to stamp out diving by suspending guilty players.

Chelsea's Shaun Wright-Phillips is the latest Premiership player to be accused of diving in order to get an opposition player sent off.
    And Wenger said:

"We have to fight it and there is only one way to punish people diving obviously: suspension.

"Once it is in the game it is difficult to get it out. Once a guy knows he might be punished he will not dive."

Wright-Phillips was accused of diving in Chelsea's 1-0 FA Cup quarter-final win on Wednesday and Newcastle defender Robbie Elliott was sent off.
    "My view without going into any individual case is that we are all as managers to fight against it," Wenger said.

"Sometimes the players dive just because they pushed the ball too far and the only way to get something out of the situation is to dive.

"We are all managers who can never say that one of our players has not dived. Nobody can say that in our league.

"I can say that when my team are not involved I am 100% against it."
    Arsenal were at the centre of a diving controversy two seasons ago when midfielder Robert Pires won a penalty against Portsmouth to seal a home draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

That victory is sweet as honey for Arsenal. Definitely no sting in the tail from Celtic for them. They are feeling what the Arsenal buzz is all about. #

this statement has nothing to do with the jersey ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

greendom wrote: »
    Yep and the real test starts Saturday...

not too sure about that, I think United will struggle this season without Ronaldo, sure they scored 5 in their last game, but they only got 1 in the previous two games. I think Chelsea are the team to beat this year, while they haven't really added much they have lost nothing form last seasons team.

on tonights game What a Goal!!

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement

3-0 Arshavin, deserved win.

There we go, Arshavin is gonna get motoring now just in time for Utd.

Surprised we brought on Arshavin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,120 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Scott Brown should have a bit of cop on and stop starting rows with 16 year olds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I haven't seen Eboue dive in a while actually. Do the same with Eduardo as they have with Eboue.
    Unfortunately though, Eboue's big change in attitude seems to have come from being booed by his own fans and substituted after coming on as a substitute. It shouldn't take that really, although it's possible that someone had a word behind the scenes too.

Either way, I'd like them to have a word with Eduardo - as an Arsenal fan, I'm generally quite proud of our players diving-wise and I don't want that to change.

• Advertisement

not too sure about that, I think United will struggle this season without Ronaldo, sure they scored 5 in their last game, but they only got 1 in the previous two games. I think Chelsea are the team to beat this year, while they haven't really added much they have lost nothing form last seasons team.

on tonights game What a Goal!!

yeah we haven't been stretched at all so far this season and if that continues to be the case after Saturday I, for one, will be feeling very confident about the season.

So far we've played a disjointed Everton, a very poor Portsmouth and a disappointing Celtic. Even a Ronaldo less Utd will put up a better show than any of that lot

yahoo_moe wrote: »

Either way, I'd like them to have a word with Eduardo - as an Arsenal fan, I'm generally quite proud of our players diving-wise and I don't want that to change.

Well if you have seen Eduardo play for Croatia, D Zagreb & his time at Arsenal, you would know , it won't.;)

Surprised we brought on Arshavin
    Me too - although given how well he's done in just a few minutes (and the fact he hasn't gotten injured), it's actually worked out quite well. He hasn't really been right at the centre of things yet this season, but a good cameo like that can only help him.

Ramsey off injured though, hope it's just a knock. And that Cesc recovers by Saturday.

Well if you have seen Eduardo play for Croatia, D Zagreb & his time at Arsenal, you would know , it won't.;)
    Sorry but one dive is one dive too many - it's nothing to do with how good he normally is.

Sure it's not like other well-known players who've dived for penalties dive all the time, every game - but I still don't like that it's in their game somewhere.

Happy days, when the draw was made thought this might have been a tough tie, but has been very comfortable over the two legs. Roll on the draw.

Sorry but one dive is one dive too many - it's nothing to do with how good he normally is.

So then why aren't players like Giggs & Amoruso still being branded as cheats when they did the same to Celtic?
    And what about player who play/tackle/intentionally injure the man instead of playing the ball in each and every game?
    In effect cheating the game....and it is relevant as Caldwell is one of them more than less.
    You don't hear people calling for them to be banned do you?

3-1
    FT

Sure it's not like other well-known players who've dived for penalties dive all the time, every game - but I still don't like that it's in their game somewhere.

Do you feel the same about defenders deliberately fouling? Because personally I can't see the difference/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I said it would be comfortable for Arsenal over the 2 matches when the draw was made and was called clueless

Me >>>> the person who called me clueless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,325 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Goal of the tie, looking forward to the Europa League

So take away the dodgy goals and the pen that wasn't Celtic go through on away goals don't they...

• Advertisement

So then why aren't players like Giggs & Amoruso still being branded as cheats when they did the same to Celtic?
    You quoted the wrong part of my post - read the second part. I said I don't like players having that in their games at all, no matter how infrequently. I'm not talking about whether Eduardo should be banned or not.

As for defenders fouling, I'm not really sure why you're comparing the two. Most of the time defenders get punished for their blatant fouls so the rules have been followed and they can't assume that they won't get punished (as people diving in the box do). Diving for a penalty results in a goal about 80% of the time, so it's a massive swing in most games... I'd rather the players on teams I support didn't deliberately try to engineer that.

greendom wrote: »
    So take away the dodgy goals and the pen that wasn't Celtic go through on away goals don't they...

Nope, 2-1:p

As for defenders fouling, I'm not really sure why you're comparing the two. Most of the time defenders get punished for their blatant fouls so the rules have been followed and they can't assume that they won't get punished (as people diving in the box do). Diving for a penalty results in a goal about 80% of the time, so it's a massive swing in most games... I'd rather the players on teams I support didn't deliberately try to engineer that.

But it's exactly the same - the diving attacker is trying to gain an unfair advantage as is the fouling defender. Sometimes they get away with it - other times not, but the intention is exactly the same - except that a foul can result in serious injury as Eduardo found out to his cost

Well my post was in the context of players who repeatedly do it in their games, what deterrant have they got?
    Get booked three times and you miss a game, i'd take that.:pac:
    The point being the slate is wiped clean after the one match ban.
    The only way to effectively cut out diving is to ban players for longer when they get 3 yellows to deter "cheating" in all forms as the divers won't feel the need to dive, sour after being fouled softly or broken leg style.

playa3 wrote: »
    Nope, 2-1:p

:o:o:o

Celtic slipping RTE a fiver!!!
    They dug up the Arsene Wenger article.:pac:

Okay, well sounds like we're discussing different things Willie :)

And greendom, again, it's not the same - someone who dives is breaking the rules because it's very likely he'll get away with it (people rarely get booked for diving, even if no penalty is given) and he'll often gain a big advantage (a penalty which mostly leads to a goal).

A defender who hauls down someone who's through on goal almost always gets punished so they break the rules assuming that they'll get punished. That's why the rules include red cards and suspensions, but unfortunately they're not applied as well in the case of people diving as they are for defenders who make professional fouls. I'd distinguish between fouling and cheating.

Anyways gotta go eat so I'm not going to stick around making the same point all night :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Good Win Arsenal :D Hard Luck Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Having not seen the first leg i dont know how Celtic played on that night, but they were very, very poor tonight.

Obviously the penalty took the wind out of their sails, but to be honest even before that they didnt show too much imo.

• Advertisement

Okay, well sounds like we're discussing different things Willie :)

And greendom, again, it's not the same - someone who dives is breaking the rules because it's very likely he'll get away with it (people rarely get booked for diving, even if no penalty is given) and he'll often gain a big advantage (a penalty which mostly leads to a goal).

A defender who hauls down someone who's through on goal almost always gets punished so they break the rules assuming that they'll get punished. That's why the rules include red cards and suspensions, but unfortunately they're not applied as well in the case of people diving as they are for defenders who make professional fouls.

Anyways gotta go eat so I'm not going to stick around making the same point all night :pac:
    I see what you're saying but the intention is the same even if the odds may be more stacked in the diver's favour. Both are cheats, it's just that the ref finds a dive harder to spot than a foul.

Advertisement