Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perlico VS Ercom?

Options
  • 26-08-2009 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

So I'm looking for the best phone/broadband bundle and Perlico at the mo is working out slightly cheaper. I'll be using the wireless broadband for the PS3 too and I've heard that Eircom is not great when it comes to games like FIFA online, as in it doesn't work at all! My home phone is currently with Eircom and so I'm inclined to think I should just stay with them and add the broadband to my bundle, I have a feelng switching would be a lot of hassle, or am I wrong? Is it simply order online, they post it out, I plug it in and away I go? thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Perlico just re-sells eircom products, so there should be no problem switching everything over, there's nothing much in it.

As for Fifa not working on eircom, there's no reason for that. Sounds like someone in particular was having a problem. If it doesn't work on eircom broadband, it won't work on any of the resellers, which rules out the majority of connections in Ireland. If this was the case, we'd have heard more about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Avoid perlico..one month after ordering the service and i cant get broadband. No one will answer my calls or emails.

Eircom have a pretty **** download limit on their packages. And they do not allow illegal downloads, or so ive heard.

eircom don't enforce their cap, but even then their cap is pretty similar to all the other ISPs. No ISP allows illegal downloads.

jor el wrote: »
    eircom don't enforce their cap, but even then their cap is pretty similar to all the other ISPs. No ISP allows illegal downloads.

How do you know that Eircom dont enforce their caps?

Yes but i thought some isps, most recently chorus upc were a bit ambivalent, in that while it was still up, upc did not block access to the pirate bay. Eircom on the other hand did.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    I trebled my download limit this month and doubled it the month before, I haven't been charged even an extra cent, and I'm on Eircom's 7mb in Limerick.
    It varies on what you hear, some people have been charged, others haven't.

• Advertisement

z0oT wrote: »
    I trebled my download limit this month and doubled it the month before, I haven't been charged even an extra cent, and I'm on Eircom's 7mb in Limerick.

What exactly were you downloading?

What exactly were you downloading?
    TV Series/Movies/Games/Music off Rapidshare, and the odd Linux ISO here and there.

Quick question-is rapidshare legal? and is it worth paying for a account?

Well apparently the service they provide is legal, but their hosting of copyrighted works definitely isn't. But then again, who's going to be only downloading someone else's home photos and videos from there?
    Rapidshare have long claimed they can't be held accountable for what's stored on their servers, although that seems to be changing now with the lost lawsuits in Germany, although AFAIK no action has been taken against Rapidshare.com which is hosted in Switzerland.
    As for it being worth getting an account, up to you really, but there's so much stuff up there, everything you can think of, and IMO it beats using torrents and having to seed all the time. I've been using it in my college now for about 3 years and I've downloaded maybe 6/7 TB's of stuff.

Because they never have.
    Yes but i thought some isps, most recently chorus upc were a bit ambivalent, in that while it was still up, upc did not block access to the pirate bay. Eircom on the other hand did.

eircom have not actually blocked access to any site yet, and this is not the place for discussing it. There are two threads to discuss that in.

I've never seen any proof that eircom charged anyone for cap breech. All I've heard is "a friend of a friend of someone's dog got charged" type stories.

Rapidshare is legal, as are P2P protocols. It's the content that may be illegal. If you download music, videos, films, etc from Rapidshare, you are most likely not downloading from a legitimate or endorsed source. Some artists might distribute samples freely, but it's rare.

• Advertisement

Well apparently the service they provide is legal, but their hosting of copyrighted works definitely isn't. But then again, who's going to be only downloading someone else's home photos and videos from there?
    Rapidshare have long claimed they can't be held accountable for what's stored on their servers, although that seems to be changing now with the lost lawsuits in Germany, although AFAIK no action has been taken against Rapidshare.com which is hosted in Switzerland.
    As for it being worth getting an account, up to you really, but there's so much stuff up there, everything you can think of, and IMO it beats using torrents and having to seed all the time. I've been using it in my college now for about 3 years and I've downloaded maybe 6/7 TB's of stuff.

And you did most of your downloading on a free account? yeah ive download stuff online for quite some while now..mainly through the pirate bay...i guess its time for me to jump ship.

You downloaded this stuff on your college connection>did they not catch you?

And you did most of your downloading on a free account? yeah ive download stuff online for quite some while now..mainly through the pirate bay...i guess its time for me to jump ship.

You downloaded this stuff on your college connection>did they not catch you?
    No I've a premium account with them because downloading as a free user isn't worth the trouble. The connection I used to download all that stuff is an extension of the Campus' Main connection which is supposed to serve over 16000 students (I think). I never got any warnings or anything, been working away downloading ~10Gb/day for the last few years no problem.

Anyway lets not hijack this guy's thread. ;)

Anyway lets not hijack this guy's thread. ;)

Lest ye be banned!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

RTM wrote: »
    I'll be using the wireless broadband for the PS3
    I've seen a few threads saying that this is useless...

Advertisement