Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Musical Theatre

Options
  • 26-08-2009 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm just wondering how one goes about getting in to musical theatre. I have done a workshop, and I really enjoyed it. I have been singing for some time now, and some of my favourite music has come from musicals.

I'd love to try my hand at it, be it a small part, or an extended workshop or something, but I'm not even sure where to begin, and searching online hasn't brought me much joy as of yet.

So, is there anyone here involved with that kind of work? How did you get into it? And do you have any advice for someone who's considering it?

Thanks,

Kila

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Im not as au fait on musical theatre. I know there is a musical society in Naas.

You could try ringing the Drama League of Ireland, they are bound to know.

www.dli.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

Thanks for that. I was chatting to some friends, and it seems that maybe a good first step would be to join a musical society and go from there.

So I'll investigate what's around, and who will take me, and go from there. I believe there are some excellent musical societies around, so I suppose it's just a case of getting in touch, auditioning, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Try www.aims.ie

post on the board there and you'll get plenty of info on local musical societies.

There are over a dozen groups in the Dublin and suburban area.... Baldoyle, Portmarnock, Rush, Coolmine, Harolds Cross / Tallaght, Dun Laoghaire, Bray, Glasnevin, Rathmines / Rathgar, Leixlip, O'Connels in Raheny, Sheevawn in Bray, Cecilians in Blanchardstown.

Found that site myself and had a wee look earlier.

Don't suppose anyone here has any experience with any of the musical societies in Dublin? I've heard that the RandR are a great society, but very tough to get into.

• Advertisement

Kila wrote: »
    Found that site myself and had a wee look earlier.

Don't suppose anyone here has any experience with any of the musical societies in Dublin? I've heard that the RandR are a great society, but very tough to get into.

Start with your local one. Most do a panto or Xmas show in January and I'd offer to participate or help out.

Then just show up at auditions...!

I've done shows with a load of them (Bray, Glasnevin, Cecilians, DAYMS, Playback, O'Connell's, Pioneers, etc) and every show is great fun.

If you are a teacher you'll LOVE Teacher's Musical Society who do great quality productions.

Glasnevin and R&R are regarded as the top of the class in Dublin, but hard to get into (especially if your a gal, which I'm not). I wouldn't recommend them for your FIRST show.

It's a great community - everybody knows everybody - and once you dip you're toe in you'll get hooked.

Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can get in touch with a local branch and see what's what.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Hi - dunno if it's exactly what you are looking for, but I just put a post in the 'improv' thread about an upcoming workshop dealing with Music in Improvisational Theatre if you're interested. :)

Hmm... Tried to contact some local musical societies, but haven't heard back from any of them yet. Does anyone know do they break for the summer or something? Is it possible there's just no one around to answer a mail?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

That is very likely the case. Most usually start up again at this time after the summer break. I don’t know where you are based, but I know Dun Laoghaire are auditioning new members this evening.
    http://www.dmds.ie/index.php

• Advertisement

A little awkward for me to get to Dun Laoighre, tbh. I'm in Tallaght.

But I may well just get in touch with them and find out what the story is. Thanks for that.

Advertisement