Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accelerator pedal question.

• 26-08-2009 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭

Hi,

I've got what probably is a silly question.

I'm a learning driver and I recently bought a '01 Volkswagen Polo and I've noticed that the resting position of the accelerator pedal is pretty low to the floor. The clutch and brake pedals are level with each other height-wise, but the accelerator looks like it has sunk to the floor considerably.

I've seen many cars like this and I was wondering, is it supposed to be like this? Why does it happen? Is it that the accelerator cable has lost its tension?

I know it's probably nothing to worry about but I'm curious...

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It's so that you don't have to have your foot at a crazy angle, with the heel resting on the floor and the foot on the pedal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

Thanks for your reply. Don't know why but it just looks and feels to be a bit too close to the floor compared to other cars I've been in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As long as you can rev your engine to max (in neutral of course) it's probably as it's supposed to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

There are a few reasons for this.

1. Comfort. Most of the time you've got your foot resting or pressing lightly on the accellerator pedal. The height is just right to avoid straining your ankle over a 2 hour plus journey. The brake and clutch pedal are typically pressed much harder and depressed more, and when pressed are roughly the same height as the accellerator pedal.

2. Heel & Toe. This is used in "spirited driving", very smooth driving or like me, a vintage car with a poor idle (only when cold - I don't like leaving the choke on too long). This is where as you're braking & changing down a gear, you keep your heel on the brake pedal and you tip the accellerator with your toes to get the engine revs up to match the road speeds when changing gear. It makes for a smoother gear change, or if the car doesn't like idleing, stopping it from stalling

3. Travel - Typically the brake & clutch pedals have more travel than the accellerator pedal.

However, if still not happe, take it to a mechanic and he'll tell you in under 2 minutes (including the time for a cuppa) if the car is getting wide open throttle. If the car isn't getting wide open throttle, that means that when the pedal is pressed to the floor, the throttle in the engine is not fully open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

@ pesant press yer acc pedal 1/4 way down in neuratl and it'll reach full reves that dosent mean the butterflies are open

• Advertisement
Advertisement