Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Group set up to minimise Dublin rail disruption

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

:rolleyes:

Why dont they just setup a group to hire someone to fix the bridge asap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

This is a sensible move and has nothing to do with the bridge reconstruction.

This is about managing the traffic especially come Monday/Tuesday when the schools go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

KC61 wrote: »
    This is a sensible move and has nothing to do with the bridge reconstruction.
    It has got to do with the bridge reconstruction because it looks like they may be needing this group for a long long time. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Again they come up with a workable plan, we'll have suffered the hell and the bloody bridge will be reopened. No Gardai in sight all week on the road routes out of the city that are affected by the line closure.

Bet the expenses are sound though.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Why wasn't this set up on Saturday? or even Monday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

boy scouts
    Sea scouts - and quite a few of them are female. :p

Why wasn't this set up on Saturday? or even Monday?

Because......

On Saturday they were all washing their cars, doing the shopping and maybe giving the kids a lift somewhere. Then it was a really over priced meal with some mediocre wine, followed by mundane sex.

On Sunday they all read the papers, but glossed over the story about some collapsed bridge in north Co. Dublin. Some played Golf, but had stomach problems due to the fry up sitting on top of the chicken in white wine sauce.

On Monday, they scratched their heads and crotches, drank a cuppa, relayed the crap meal and sex to a colleague. Then, without warning, an office junior with a semblence of 21st century living caused uproar by suggesting they get together and devise a plan, because a mate of his in Amiens street heard this bridge is fcuked and it could be next year before its reopened.

Without further ado, they discussed it over tea and chocolate Kimberleys (paid for by the taxpayer) and decided that said office junior should issue a press release to say that they would all meet together...at some stage and work out a plan that would have the city running like clockwork. After that they returned to planning their latest junkets to a few useless conferences come winter time.

By Wednesday morning they were all ****ting themselves, because the office junior had actually sent out a press release reagarding "the plan". Golf has been cancelled, restaurant bookings have been scrapped and the partners are joyous in anticipation of a sex free few months.

DWCommuter, thats completely wrong. They're putting it in place because the Irish Rail managers who live in Louth and work in Dublin are now woken half way though their commuters nap and told to get on a bus.

Victor wrote: »
    DWCommuter, thats completely wrong. They're putting it in place because the Irish Rail managers who live in Louth and work in Dublin are now woken half way though their commuters nap and told to get on a bus.

No Victor, Im sorry, but we will just have to completely disagree on this one. I described it as it happened.:D The lads on the train don't make decisions. Its the IE gang in mercs and beamers that talk the talk. Train? What Train?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

You're wasted here DW - I can't wait for the book and perhaps the movie but who would you get to play Barry Kenny 'the thinking woman's Cary Grant' ? :D

• Advertisement

While there is a certain degree of sarcasm here, I think that by and large the response of the bus and rail companies has been quite rapid in terms of replacement services.

An initial service was provided on Monday morning with Dublin Bus adding 12 extra 33X departures to/from Skerries, additional buses on the 33 and a service from Donabate to Malahide, while Irish Rail provided a special bus service to/from Drogheda.

The next morning a Balbriggan shuttle was introduced by Irish Rail, along with 2 extra 33X services from Rush, followed by three extra 33X evening services.

From today there are more trains running on the northern line, and from Monday next additional 33X buses and a direct 33D from Donabate to the city with an all day shuttle bus from Donabate to Malahide connecting the two train services.

What would be helpful is some form of cross-ticketing arrangement with Bus Eireann (particularly in the off-peak), but it has to be said that they have also increased capacity on their routes.

I think that the response of the bus companies was rapid, considering the short notice, and they have observed the loading patterns since the introduction of the services and changed the patterns accordingly. I'm not sure what else you can ask of them, considering there are limits on both bus and driver resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

While there is a certain degree of sarcasm here, I think that by and large the response of the bus and rail companies has been quite rapid in terms of replacement services.

An initial service was provided on Monday morning with Dublin Bus adding 12 extra 33X departures to/from Skerries, additional buses on the 33 and a service from Donabate to Malahide, while Irish Rail provided a special bus service to/from Drogheda.
    That's about 60 hours after the bridge collapse. On Friday night, IE refused to refund me for my return ticket in Pearse Station, yet their website told me to use Dublin bus services.
    The next morning a Balbriggan shuttle was introduced by Irish Rail, along with 2 extra 33X services from Rush, followed by three extra 33X evening services.
    Any eejit would have known these would have been needed. The first 33X on Monday morning didn't even go through Lusk. What if a passenger wanted to go there?

From today there are more trains running on the northern line, and from Monday next additional 33X buses and a direct 33D from Donabate to the city with an all day shuttle bus from Donabate to Malahide connecting the two train services.
    The 33D was obvious too
    What would be helpful is some form of cross-ticketing arrangement with Bus Eireann (particularly in the off-peak), but it has to be said that they have also increased capacity on their routes.
    The RPA have spent 30 odd million on this. Why aren't they in the special group.....
    Of course BÉ would run extra busses, any new passengers are generating instant income for the company, unlike DB who mainly have to suck it up from rail season ticket holders.
    I think that the response of the bus companies was rapid, considering the short notice, and they have observed the loading patterns since the introduction of the services and changed the patterns accordingly. I'm not sure what else you can ask of them, considering there are limits on both bus and driver resources.
    The changes in response to demand are welcome but the initial services were obviously not good enough. I realise there are resource issues, but there should have been a more comprehensive plan starting from Monday.

Well we will have to agree to disagree.

In the short space of time they had I really don't think Dublin Bus could have done much more. The toughest part is rostering drivers and that was done over a weekend and set up for Monday morning with at least 12 buses/drivers rostered for the service. They may not have been able to get more drivers at that short notice.

That to me is a good rapid response to the situation and they have built on that all week.

Obtaining the extra buses for next week would have meant reviewing the network and removing extra workings, tightening maintenance spares, and redesigning driver rosters. That does require more time than 2 days at a weekend!!!

What has become of the buses and drivers from withdrawn services?

Victor wrote: »
    What has become of the buses and drivers from withdrawn services?

The buses have virtually all been sold (although some are still awaiting shipment to the UK).

There was a programme of voluntary redundancy among the drivers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The buses have virtually all been sold (although some are still awaiting shipment to the UK). There was a programme of voluntary redundancy among the drivers.

So there are no Dublin buses to take up the slack , and no drivers . The auction details are listed below. I do not believe Bus Eireann got rid of its stock yet though.

They are proposing to get rid of 29 drivers in Galway and a lesser number of buses, maybe they should redeploy them to Balbriggan instead for the year :D

http://www.tendersdirect.co.uk/Ourservice/TenderView.aspx?ID=%20000000002477969

Total 107

Dublin Bus offer for Sale by Tender the following Vehicles.
    2 x RA Type Olympian D/Deck Buses (1996)
    84 x RV Type Olympian D/Deck Buses (1998/9)
    17 x WV Type Low Floor Midi-Buses (1999)
    4 x VL Type Low Floor S/Decks (1997)
    Arrangements to View the buses can be made by contacting this office on the number supplied during office hours.
    NOTE: Further information and additional documentation relating to this notice may be available on the eTenders Web Site at http://www.etenders.gov.ie/Search/Search_Switch.aspx?ID=84038

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    So there are no Dublin buses to take up the slack , and no drivers . The auction details are listed below. I do not believe Bus Eireann got rid of its stock yet though.

They are proposing to get rid of 29 drivers in Galway and a lesser number of buses, maybe they should redeploy them to Balbriggan instead for the year :D

http://www.tendersdirect.co.uk/Ourservice/TenderView.aspx?ID=%20000000002477969

That is not what I said - I said they have "virtually all been sold". There are still some of them on the books. Using these buses and a tightening up of maintenance spares, along with a reallocation of "extra works" from other services that (due to a reduction in passenger numbers) are no longer needed, Dublin Bus have been able to offer the enhanced services to the North County area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dublin Bus have been able to offer the enhanced services to the North County area.

The schools are not open till monday, how can Dublin Bus tell before then ???

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The schools are not open till monday, how can Dublin Bus tell before then ???

I think that you underestimate their abilities to judge passenger loadings across the network - it's generally something that they do quite well surprisingly enough!

Well judging by the mayhem on the northbound routes, I'd really love to know what this group is doing. Still no sign of a decent Garda presence on the streets to help matters. Put U2 back in Croke Park and we'd be laughing. Gardai everywhere!:D

Group of plonkers. Thats what they are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement