Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duotone and Neo-Noir

Options
  • 26-08-2009 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭

Thinking I was making a pasiche of one of Atget's duotonal colour schemes, I uploaded this photo last year:

[IMG][/img]2836168429_2afc944c76.jpg

It turns out the the world of cinema is currently thinking in "colour noir" and that this style is quite fashionable. It reflects black and white photography, but with a colour tint.

A thread for duotones?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

C929425DF5404992AA6E2D7EF39BDA9E-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I've been leaning to this sort of idea lately although I do it fairly strong gernerally using a few different effects to get the below result. It has had a great response from my clients.

Initially some people thought this may be sepiabut in fact it is a mixture of high contrasts and colourising and more.

3825720879_01fa1cb278.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Well done. It works very well as a book cover.

STG, that photo would still be regarded as a sepia image, rather than split toning - just to be anal. Split toning is where highlights and shadows are toned differently, rather than different variations of contrast of the 'sepia-ish' colour range.

Handy tip; Easy to do split-toning, buy some C41 monochromatic film, I like Ilford's XP2, shoot, and scan in colour. Blue/Yellow split toning is done for you.

Example;
    CNV00033.jpg

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Well done. It works very well as a book cover.

STG, that photo would still be regarded as a sepia image, rather than split toning - just to be anal. Split toning is where highlights and shadows are toned differently, rather than different variations of contrast of the 'sepia-ish' colour range.

It is not actually sepia at all, it is colourised, clarified and contrasted amongst other things, sepia didnt come into it at all anywhere, not trying to be anal either.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

Show that to any Joe in the street and it's gonna be labelled as sepia, STG.

I don't think there's enough of a split tone 'effect'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

there's a difference between split tones and duatones. In order to achieve a true duatone you use two haltones. usually black and another colour. If you choose a reddish tone as your second tone you'll end up with a duatone with a sepia look, but not a true sepia. Sepia is not a colour as such, but the result of a process.

this is a duatone >

aynb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

It is not actually sepia at all, it is colourised, clarified and contrasted amongst other things, sepia didnt come into it at all anywhere, not trying to be anal either.

As Eas then said, the process defines how the end result is described, perhaps. Since you did not use a sepia processing, the desaturation in your beautiful photo is probably best described as not a sepia effect, even if it is similar to many of the softer sepia vintage effects one finds on the net.

It is not duotone, either, as there is the absence of a second colour. I find the image remarkable because it sparkles so clearly and has not the flatness of many sepia processed photos. Without revealing trade secrets, it would be helpful to all of us if you gave some guidelines on achieving such delicate toning, STG.

I've just found this useful tutorial for PS users:

http://digital-photography-school.com/convert-duotones-photoshop

My duotone photo was originally made with the "recipe" system in the Canon Digital Professional software.

From above
    It reflects black and white photography, but with a colour tint.

hence my adding, the same effect is here but with different tones 3829527709_23fb1c86ca.jpg

As far as my little mind sees, two tones = duo tones or colour noir = colour and black:confused:

If you focus too much on the technicalities you lose the art so if my technicalities are wrong I'm afraid I will not apologise as this is my own take on the art!

I'm genuinely interested in how you arrive at these magical effects, STG, and it is misfortunate that technical hair splitting might get in the way of knowledge.

It could have been beneficial to add Tritones to this thread's title, as some very subtle effects are achieved:

http://fiveprime.org/hivemind/Tags/duotone,tritone

I've started looking closely at movie posters as they are often very finely toned.

I have a script and use seperate programs, although I wont let everything out as I want this to be my style that seperates me from everyone but some of the process used here I have been using seperately for years. My husband lost his job which means I have more time now to work without worrying about the kids and I just started linking them all together and came up with this.

Initially it would have taken quite a while to do but now I have it down to a t it takes 2 minutes max and I generally know the second I see the picture if the process will work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

I really thought there was a difference between duo or split tone when you have the highlights tinted with one colour and the shadows tinted with another, and colourised where everything is tinted with one tone.

It's so easily done in lightroom these days that it's overused, a bit like the whole vignette thing. It's poor to rely on a method of processing to define your style though, because even if you don't share your 'secret recipe', it's not difficult for a hundred others to come along and figure out how to do it themselves. Subtlety ftw...

All I can say is lol.

We all have our styles, our tastes etc etc so who are we to deny anyone else the right to theirs or to demean their choices????

I certainly will not be belittled by keyboard heros who think their view is better than mine.

Er, STG, I don't think that that process is going to seperate you from any large grouping of photographers - It's an easy process to recreate, both in darkroom and digitally, and has been done for many many years. If you're going to make it unique, you're really going to have to seperate it from looking like a sepia/selenium toned image, or in the case of the image above, an iron toner.

None of the above makes sense to me :(

I like the pictures though.

All I can say is lol.

We all have our styles, our tastes etc etc so who are we to deny anyone else the right to theirs or to demean their choices????

I certainly will not be belittled by keyboard heros who think their view is better than mine.

People are trying to help you, give advice, rather than be 'keyboard heros'. If you're not interested in discussion, then maybe a discussion forum isn't the place for you. :confused:

Nobody's been demeaning or belittling you.

Fajitas did I ask you for advice???? what makes you think you are in a position to give me advice on a style that my clients are loving and just now I received an email from someone based upon that style....?

To be honestr the style has laready benefited me as I have taken two bookings through it, if I ask for your advice by all means give it but there is no request here!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

, if I ask for your advice by all means give it but there is no request here!

use your indoor voice.. chill out ffs, nobodies trying to emulate 'your style' or suggest that your clearly sepia photos are anything but marvellous.

That quoted text was in reply to Fajitas claiming he is giving me advice, hence me saying I am not requesting advice I was just attempting to join in the discussion rather than be made the centrepoint of the discussion.

you're really going to have to seperate it from looking like a sepia/selenium toned image, or in the case of the image above, an iron toner.

to me this is belittling.

Ah here. Talk about lashing out. I'm in plenty of position to give advice on toning, shur haven't I been doing it for years. Digital, darkroom, even digital prints in the darkroom. I quite enjoy it, even if it does leave some nasty stains.

I'm a helpful kinda guy, indeed, I'll go out of my way to be helpful. If I saw someone doing something wrong, I'd stop them, tell them what they need to know, and try better their ways. You're on a forum where people help each other out, it's great like that.
    to me this is belittling.

If that's belittling, you're growing to have to grow much thicker skin. I'd hate to tell you a photo is out of focus.

Please... if we stick to posting photos that excel in this technique it may bring some harmony.

Speilberg's film "AI" has some very fine use of tonality and is incredibly beautiful towards the end, when the story is set very far into the future.

http://filmforthesoul.blogspot.com/2009/05/year-2001-artificial-intelligence-ai.html

It does not have the claustrophobia of the Batman films, the latest to be released tomorrow, I think.

• Advertisement

I'm a helpful kinda guy, indeed, I'll go out of my way to be helpful. If I saw someone doing something wrong, I'd stop them, tell them what they need to know, and try better their ways.

If that's belittling, you're growing to have to grow much thicker skin. I'd hate to tell you a photo is out of focus.

Fajitas, you may see it as being wrong others may not, this is the point, who are you to say that my style is wrong???? Have we all lost the art side of photography and decided we are going to base ourselves purely on technicality????? I mean seriously I dont like very shot I see but I can appreciate someone elses eye, understand that what means something to me may not do anything for you but that does not mean it is wrong, art allows for huge variations, technicalities may not and if this is the way this forum is going to continue maybe it should be split into those that are in it for the art side and those that are in it for the technical side.

I know youre not a bad guy Al and many a times we have had a chat but at the end of the day you are going to have to accept the fact that not everyone sees things the way you do and sometimes you dont need to assume that you know better!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

i was unfortunate enough to watch Knowing with Nicholas Cage last week and noticed crazy split toning in it, to the extent that it was distracting. Seems film photographers are as guilty of overusing techniques as the rest of us...

was it split toning or sepia? cant tell the difference.

When did I say your style was wrong??? I was merely giving an example of me willing to help people.

Also, the artistic side of photography is deeply rooted in the conceptual as opposed to the technical, toning, split, duo, tri, is regarded as technical/aesthetic as opposed to the artistic side. If you're going to state the toning is done for artistic reasons, you're going to be asked to state your reason.

Art allows for huge variations in thought, which would be the conceptuality behind the piece of art.

Tbh, if this forum was to be split into an art side and a technical side, it'd be fantastic, but it wouldn't last. I do believe I would be firmly planted in the 'art' side, bearing in mind I've exhibited as an artist as opposed to a photographer. But the hons. degree in Fine Art might help with that ;)

Off topic and debate; I've chatted with you!? Did you introduce yourself as STG? I honestly don't remember meeting you! Sorry if I didn't make the connection! :o

elven wrote: »
    i was unfortunate enough to watch Knowing with Nicholas Cage last week and noticed crazy split toning in it, to the extent that it was distracting. Seems film photographers are as guilty of overusing techniques as the rest of us...

Dystopia is so fashionable at the moment that films like "The War of the Worlds" and "The Lady in the Water" seem to be setting very strong trends:

http://www.sepiamutiny.com/sepia/archives/005253.html

I have seen both films on TV and would not willingly spend time in the cinema with such gloom. However, "The Lady in the Water" is so beautifully designed and the scenes around the swimming pool at the end so delicately lit that I'll probably try to see it again.

The inky blackness of some duotones really makes colours dance...

[IMG][/img]3103806573_62dc0223ce.jpg

Art allows for huge variations in thought, which would be the conceptuality behind the piece of art.

I thought of this as a photo upload thread, along the lines of the "Most Colourful Photos" thread that could continue quietly with examples of the best efforts of posters here.

Often the "art" is in the eye of the beholder. When approached to have the photo in the OP used for art work I was seriously alarmed by the strong reaction it seemed to inspire, as people seem to see in it what to me is just the obvious. I am an amateur and not an artist. However, the artistry within any work gains momentum as it is discussed and invited into the iconography of the tribe.

I'm always astonished at the way Eggleston's red ceiling (split toning?) took on a life of its own years after it was taken, because of the violent events that became associated with the room in question. When the photo was taken, it was just that... a white and red photo...

I was asked to bring my cogitations on the educational system to the off topic thread last week. Perhaps we could do this with the art analysis and the other ideas that have popped up this morning?

When did I say your style was wrong??? I was merely giving an example of me willing to help people.

If you're going to state the toning is done for artistic reasons, you're going to be asked to state your reason.

Off topic and debate; I've chatted with you!? Did you introduce yourself as STG? I honestly don't remember meeting you! Sorry if I didn't make the connection! :o

Ok point by point

Firstly maybe you should think before you post as what you are putting across may present itself a lot more drastic than youre intentions, everything is relative and if you are in a discussion about someones shot and say if someone is doing something wrong you will point it out obviously it is going to be interrpretted that you think that particular person is doing something wrong.

Next, many artists have no degrees or education, I dont think that is the be all and end all, but to be honest the majority of artists will tell you art requires no explanation. Why did Van Gogh cut of his ear???? Because he felt like it, he wanted to paint his ear! Not comparing myself but why did I do this for artistic reasons, because I felt like it, I wanted edginess, something different.

Next. The photo was taken initially with this intention. If you looked through the full set you would see a trend in the style of the shot as well as the style of the edits, all pre planned. As soon as the style was developed and appreciated by past and future brides it was added to some of the traditional wedding shots and hugely appreciated.

Off topic, I mean online via the forum and pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

At last a robust debate on boards. Not really interested in the subject matter, but this is rivetting stuff indeed. Just like the old days around here :D;):p

rymus wrote: »
    was it split toning or sepia? cant tell the difference.

This is all new territory to me. If you had time, Rymus, it would be very helpful to have a link to your toned portrait of Rick O'Shea, taken at the Irish Blog Awards in 2008.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/irishblogawards/interesting/?page=2

• Advertisement

I have all the time in the world.

Which one though? Was it this one?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rymus/2314775272/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement