Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs trouble....sigh.

Options
  • 26-08-2009 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

So I ordered x2 Army 1911's from RSOV, payed and shipped through UPS.
    Now the UPS site showed as enterig IRL but that the package was in "brokerage"? After calling their support they confirmed that customs have seized the package and will be in contact with me?

The 1911's are under the 1joule limit so does anyone have any experience with this? Should I have any info ready for customs when they call?

Any experienced advice is really apprechiated. Thanks lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

more than likely there looking for an invoice as they donot believe the declaration

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

yeah, just say its airsoft equipment, under the limit, not a firearm, and explain that they are actually that cheap, ask for an e-mail that you can forward on an invoice to, its usually all they actually want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭scanlant

Once you get it sorted, Hightower1, can you post how much the total all-in cost was for the 2 1911s?

I'm looking to make an order for 2 of them myself over the next week, and am interested in the total cost before committing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Hi Guys, thanks a mill, will have the invoice ready.

Yeah no probs will post up the price, seems like so far the total cost was 131eur incl UPS delivery. Not sure if there are any other costs yet but if there is I will post it up. Ordered on Sat so should have been out for delivery today so good turn around time.

Turns out customs held them and turned them over the the gardai for testing. So whay should have been a 4 day delivery has now turned into a possible three week one.

Would make you wonder why the gardai wouldnt have a chrono in the major stations? Would save them testing things in Phonix park that dont need to be and save people waiting weeks to hear back. Not like they are expensive kit or anything.

Thanks a million customs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Sam Fisher

Can I suggest that you make a note of the person/people you have spoken to in the authorities and the date and time? Make sure you can get a reference number off them too. You never know how long this may take.

They (customs) took my Tornado grenade and a QD silencer last August (yes, that's a year ago) and I am still chasing them up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭Horse84

I have 2 gbb pistols held, one from about last august as well and I'm still getting fobbed off. Nothing you can really do only keep onto them and keep a record of all correspondence with them, making sure to take note of officers' names etc and above all remain civil:rolleyes:

Last YEAR! omg thats a disgrace.
    I had an l96 tested before, took about three weeks from giving it to them to getting it back. They were grand about it.

I cant believe there is next to no garda eduction on this? Surely they would have the common sense to bloody google airsoft if they are unsure about anything? I mean the legislation is there guide them on accepted velocities.

Common sense would dictate that they would contact the IAA for consultation if in doubt.

Well I have been told they have handed them over to the Gardai now so I will wait a bit and chase up if I have herd nothing, if I get no joy I'll be contacting the Garda onbudsman. I can accept they have more important things to do but they are expected to perform their duties in a timely manor. Like anyone else , off duty they are consumers too and do you think for a second they'd accept getting fobbed off? Not a chance.

Lads after the length of time ye have been waiting I would defo be sending in an official complaint. Link to the form is below....

http://www.gardaombudsman.ie/GSOC/GSOC-1-form.pdf

Send it in and see what happens.
    Apparently they take it seriously enough , mate of mine drives a modded car and was legal in every way but sick of Garda hassle, kept a stack of these in the glove box and they get right sh***y when your filling it out in front of them asking their details. Remember they are PUBLIC SERVANTS not bullys, no law was broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

Horse84 wrote: »
    I have 2 gbb pistols held, one from about last august as well and I'm still getting fobbed off. Nothing you can really do only keep onto them and keep a record of all correspondence with them, making sure to take note of officers' names etc and above all remain civil:rolleyes:

I hope Steve Fay doesnt mind me landing him in it this way, but you should seriously consider dropping along to the IAA homepage and dropping them a line.

Whether you're a member or not, I'm sure they'll help you out.

Steve contacted customs and the Gardái on my behalf earlier this year when I had two large shipments held for months on end, and I was getting the runaround - he was able to cite various articles of law which firmly put the onus on them to either produce the goods, or issue a confiscation notice backed up by evidence of illegality, or be subject to legal penalties. I'm not making any promises on behalf of the IAA, as your cases could be different to mine, but its certainly worth dropping them a line and asking them for some guidance or help - all it will cost you is an email.

Despite what customs think, or how the articles look, they are legal, and neither they nor the Gardaí have a right to hold them indefinitely. If you're not getting anywhere chasing it up yourself, then get some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭Horse84

Cheers Tony but I was onto Stephen and he was very helpfull and yea I'm an IAA member for ages. He gave me some good advice but i wouldn't be expecting them to get involved in individual cases like mine, plus i'd nearly prefer to get it sorted myself. I like most people hand over a large chunk of my hard earned to the government every week and i'll be damned if they're going to screw me like this.

You see the thing that bugs me is, I was issued letters of seizure for both right? Now i could be wrong but the only reason they can be seized is that if they were over the limit. grand no problem there, lesson learned for me but when i was talking to em last they were implying that the gbbs were still in their posession and had not even been sent for testing and i certainly haven't been issued any certs from ballistics.

Anyway "supposed" to have a face to face meeting with em sometime soon, I'll let ye know how i get on:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement