Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rehoming reptiles and turtles??

• 26-08-2009 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of anyone who would have contacts for rehoming reptiles and exotics?

Having made the very hard decision to find a new home for my YBS i'm finding it very difficult to find anywhere with info on rehoming of such animals.....hundreds of sites for cats, dogs and furries, but the poor old reptiles seem to be getting a bum deal.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The Reptile community website has a rehoming section on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭li-evo7

Shelli wrote: »
    Thanks

Try reptile haven.The guy in there could probably sort you out.They are on fishamble street in dublin city centre.I got my argentinian tegus from there and i have known him to take in reptiles every so often from people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Do you have a tortoise to rehome by any chance or is it just turtles? I recently decided I'd really like one, but am saving up for all the equipment etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Much harder to find a rehome tortoise than it turtles. Turtles are rehomed because they can be a nuisance to look after, they're dirty and smelly compared to torts as well and people buy a lot more turtles than they do tortoises due to the low price of the turts.

Pet World in Athlone has a tortoise plus equipment for sale for $350

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Perhaps try http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/irish_chelonia_group/ http://www.irishanimals.ie/reptiles/index.html

Also there are rehoming sections on irishanimals.ie and petsireland where you can post more info on the animals and photos etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have a huge pond with some red eared sliders & a few yellow bellies - your guy is more than welcome here - my guys have lived outside for years now their shells are stunning now they have natural sun light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Kruger

hey Bond-007,

Thinking of putting my sliders in a pond... how are u heating it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

I don't - they live wild in the uk & cope well all the can't do in our climate is incubate eggs.

I intend one day to have a heated house - but they have been outside for 6 years now with no problems.

I generally put mine outside on warm days... not sure id have the guts to leave them out all the time... but if its working out okay 4 you i might be tempted to try it... i know the heaters u buy in pet shops cannot be left outside.

• Advertisement

Dont do it this time of year - but over the winter turn down the heat a degree or 2 a week till all they have is room temp water - then in spring move them outside when the weather heats up - thats what we did & we know others who have done this.

Thanks for the advice, they grow out of there tanks so fast, it d be great for them if i could keep them outside.

Their shells are so much better with real sun light - I was given one that had a fungal infection & the natural water & sun sorted it out a treat. They eat the weed & natural bugs - dead fish etc. Mine can wander around the garden as well - so they get the best of both worlds.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭aboutimeilogin!

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I have a huge pond with some red eared sliders & a few yellow bellies - your guy is more than welcome here - my guys have lived outside for years now their shells are stunning now they have natural sun light.
    are you really willing to add a random turtle to your pond?
    you do know this is very unsafe as nice as you are offering.
    i'm just thinking of your turtles!
    a friend of mine got wiped out a few years ago accepting a random turtle!
    10 years work studying sliders out the window cos he added a rescue willie nillie! no fixing could change things. quarintine new animals is a must

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MarySce

No selling animals here!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

This thread is 4 years old so I am closing it. Don't PM any of the previous posters here thank you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement