Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap small & film?

• 26-08-2009 3:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

With all this free film floating around and electric picnic coming up I'd kinda like to pick up a cheap film camera to bring along instead of my DSLR.

Ebay is full of the likes of holgas and lomos and russian range finders; Anyone recomend something ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have a couple of 35mm Compacts that you are welcome to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Olympus XA could be got cheap enough off ebay and can use up to 800 ISO film I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭trican

I'd highly recommend a lovely mechanical Nikon fe or fe2 - particularly if you're DSLR is a Nikon (so you can share the lenses).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

+1 for the Olympus XA. They're very popular so you won't get one for less than 30 euro though. 35mm like the free film.

Or a Holga - cheaper and maybe more fun but uses 120 film. Of course you can put 35mm film in it, but for me square shots just seem right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Some sort of rangefinder might be good for you, little smaller than a slr and better lens and more controls than a compact, but if you can find a basic nikon slr might be closer to what you're used to

Olympus trip might be fun too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Get a decent fixed lens rangefinder, I have a Canonet GLIII 1.7 QL that's a little beauty, it's broken at the moment though. There's another few folk on here that picked them up after I got mine. Minolta, Olympus and a few others have similar. They fit in your pocket, are quiet, and have a very good lens.

If you didn't mind going USSR, pick yourself up a newer Zorki - I have the 4K - It's indestructable, and gives some really nice images.

If the size wasn't a factor though, go medium format, 35mm's best quality is being compact, so don't bother buying a big SLR for a few rolls of 35mm if you already have a good DSLR. Good nick Bronica's and Mamiya's go for about 300 quid with lens and WLVF, they're 6x4.5 format, so you'll get 16 shots on a roll of film. You can pick up Russian copies of Hasselblads quite cheap too if square format is your thing.

I quite like medium format cameras for festivals, you don't get in much trouble because they look old, you get a good quality neg, they're fairly solid and a bit of a conversation piece. I shot the Oxegen weekend on my Mamiya 645 the last two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

If you have canon ef lenses get a canon eos 300/300v/300x

I have the 300v, meters very well, autofocus would be the same as the eos 10d I think, can bracket up to 9 frames, double/multiple
    exposures on the same frame is possible. It weighs around 370g.

the 300 has a plastic mounting ring(or whatever u call it), the 300v and 300x have metal. the 300 and 300v stop at 1/2000 shutter speed, the 300x goes to 1/4000

since winter is coming, 1/2000 should be plenty!

if you want something manual you could get a small pentax k mount slr

pentax,richo,chinon.
    I think sears also does rebadged pentax k mount, they do m42 anyway

get a nice 50mm f1.4 or f1.7 and u have a nice solid compact less 'in your face' camera.

ricoh 500g and yashica electro are 2 great value/quality rangefinders

I wouldn't bother with the 300 series, they're entry level film SLR's that don't have a great build - For the same money, you'd buy a second hand professional SLR!

Either utilise the small size of 35mm or go for a larger format :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

+1 for the Zorki 4K, the Jupiter 8 lense is the business, nice and contrasty

You could pick up a nice Canon AE1-P with a 50mm 1.8 on the cheap too,
    As a wild card; Olympus EE's with the half frame are fun and the images
    have a retro look if thats your thing. There are some many options to pick
    up good 35mm gear on the cheap, with everyone going digital, Viva l'analog!

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother with the 300 series, they're entry level film SLR's that don't have a great build - For the same money, you'd buy a second hand professional SLR!

Either utilise the small size of 35mm or go for a larger format :)

the 3000 is entry level.
    I much prefer the 300v to the canon eos 1 I had last year.
    I have a 1d series dslr now so I dont mind the size/weight.

anyway its the photographer,lens + film that count

I payed 30euro for an 'as new' 300v, the same guy sells 300's for 15-20euro. hes up north and sells on ebay

an eos 1 will cost u 150euro or more, 1 autofocus point, old metering, heavy. fps isnt too high either. a 1n will cost u 300euro. the best value pro canon slr would be an eos 3. it has the 1v/1d 45 auto focus points and is very well built but will cost 250 or more. 1n will also cost 250 or more

the 1v will cost 400 or more but is a brilliant camera
    300v is 30euro. huge difference in price. but who will be shooting full rolls of film in 3.6 seconds?

• Advertisement

Even on feeling the 300 series, the build quality is 'entry level', for festivals and the like, I'd be much happier bringing something built like a tank, that's not going to mind a bit of rain and mud to get bring back some good photos :)

Also, if you scout around, you'll find some of the bodies you've mentioned there for around half those prices - An EOS 3 for 130 in mint nick is not to be sniffed at - For the sake of an extra 100 quid over the 300.

But regardless of whether you go for the 300, 3 or 1 series, you're still ending up with a bulky camera, that you're going to have to put your expensive EF lenses onto to go to a festival... I'm still going to prefer a fixed lens RF or a 120 body.

Even on feeling the 300 series, the build quality is 'entry level', for festivals and the like, I'd be much happier bringing something built like a tank, that's not going to mind a bit of rain and mud to get bring back some good photos :)

Also, if you scout around, you'll find some of the bodies you've mentioned there for around half those prices - An EOS 3 for 130 in mint nick is not to be sniffed at - For the sake of an extra 100 quid over the 300.

But regardless of whether you go for the 300, 3 or 1 series, you're still ending up with a bulky camera, that you're going to have to put your expensive EF lenses onto to go to a festival... I'm still going to prefer a fixed lens RF or a 120 body.
    an eos 3 for 130 comes around rarely, saw 1 or 2 on ebay this year for that sold for the price. would be worth an extra 100 for sure.

I respect my 1d but I also take advantage of its weather sealing and tough build! my 300 has served me well tho and is a nice way to use great canon lenses full frame for cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Loads of advice , savage.
    @Cabinsail, thanks for the offer but I don't trust myself drunk at a festival with a borrowed camera ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Nisio wrote: »
    Loads of advice , savage.
    @Cabinsail, thanks for the offer but I don't trust myself drunk at a festival with a borrowed camera ;)

The camera does not owe me anything, I got it for free, so you should be OK on that score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Small right? That fairly much excludes any slr (maybe a Pen)

Holgas can be fun, but also limiting, in terms of control.

As others have said the XA is a nice camera. Very small, aperure priority, sharp lens.

However, another camera, which I've only briefly used, which I think would be a good call, is an Olympus Trip.

They are zone focusing and otherwise automatic. Nice size, relatively unfiddly.

Had a look around Ebay at some of the models mentioned; plenty about but I wonder how safe it is buying a 20 year old camera unseen/tested off the web.

Anyone had any good/bad experiences with buying old cameras off ebay?
    (or anyone selling one?)

If the seller says 'sold as seen' or 'worked perfect the last time I used it' or 'appears perfect' I'd be wary.

If they give you a run down of the cameras functions, you're in much better hands, for example;

Shutter not sticking and working at all speeds
    Viewfinder clear, some dust inside
    Aperture blades working smoothly
    Wind on working grand
    (where applicable) No light leaks in bellows

I haven't had a bad experience thus far, but I've been fairly wary.

I avoid sold as seen/not tested/found in my grandads attic etc
    You usually get a camera that needs to be repaired and the repair will cost more than getting the same camera in working order.

Bingo - Forgot about the 'It's my Grandads camera, I found it in the attic'... Chances are there's more than one reason it's ended up in the attic.

Markets are probably my favorite way of getting my older cameras. You can make sure they're working yourself, check for rust, check the batteries haven't gone all over the place... and then you can haggle the price down!

I picked up my mint Zorki 4K in a market in Slovenia, with original leather case and an Agfa flash for 15 Euro. I got an SX-70 on Portobello Rd last Saturday which works perfect, but the leather is a bit riddled, for just under 40 pounds. I got a Zenith with Helios 44 for just under 20 Euro at another market... All working btw.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Bingo - Forgot about the 'It's my Grandads camera, I found it in the attic'... Chances are there's more than one reason it's ended up in the attic.

Markets are probably my favorite way of getting my older cameras. You can make sure they're working yourself, check for rust, check the batteries haven't gone all over the place... and then you can haggle the price down!

I picked up my mint Zorki 4K in a market in Slovenia, with original leather case and an Agfa flash for 15 Euro. I got an SX-70 on Portobello Rd last Saturday which works perfect, but the leather is a bit riddled, for just under 40 pounds. I got a Zenith with Helios 44 for just under 20 Euro at another market... All working btw.

wow thats cheap

• Advertisement

what market is that in portobello? Im just down the road myself. Do you know if the carboot sale at the greyhound track is any good?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

im taking my fisheye, diane and maybe something else. rake of that unicare film and passing the cams round to my friends to go made with...

on that note, where was the place to do cheap developing...:D

what market is that in portobello? Im just down the road myself. Do you know if the carboot sale at the greyhound track is any good?

I meant Portobello Rd over in Notting Hill :o

I haven't been to the car boot sale in the dog track, but you can never tell with these things, best bet is just to turn up and look around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

im taking my fisheye, diane and maybe something else. rake of that unicare film and passing the cams round to my friends to go made with...

on that note, where was the place to do cheap developing...:D

go to local fuji shop

tell them you have a load of film that needs processing and see if they will do you a deal.

I managed to get my local shop down to 15 euro for 4 rolls (36exp) film.

Oh and a bit of a noob question. Where can i get E-6 deveolped (velvia 50)?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Although robust, sturdy and gorgeous photo takers the Rangefinder...they ain't small.
    Pop into any charity shop and you'll get a small point and shoot for a fiver that'll still give you far better pictures than any medium range digi point and shoot...feck buy a few and share them around...who'll give a monkey's? Fill them with film and fire them around.

landyman wrote: »

Oh and a bit of a noob question. Where can i get E-6 deveolped (velvia 50)?

camera exchange, georges street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

camera exchange, georges street
    its a bit out of my way, will a local fuji lab do it for me?

humberklog wrote: »
    Although robust, sturdy and gorgeous photo takers the Rangefinder...they ain't small.

Depends on what you're coming from!

The Canonet'll fit in my jacket or jeans pocket, I'd barely get a lens for my 35mm kit in there though

humberklog wrote: »

Too true - my Canonet QL17 is as bulky and heavy as either my film or digital SLRs with 50mm lens (though I do have the older, slightly heavier, version of the QL17) - metal weighs much more than plastic.

If you already have a EF 50mm lens, an EOS 3000 for a tenner is a bit of a bargain for autofocus and fast shutter speeds, as someone said. I'm bringing mine to India next week, cos at that price I don't feel I have to worry about it - and it's light.

Edit: Didn't see Fajitas! post - in your jeans pocket, really?

• Advertisement

neigh e6 is not common at alls these days

Easily! That's how I used to bring it out everywhere with me!!

Maybe I have big pockets O.o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Sorry for the O/T but I'm very curious about the discussion here about the EOS 300 range...

I'm an hour away from owning a 300V on eBay that I should be getting for around €20 delivered. Wanted something I could use my current lenses with to learn about film and for a relatively modern film SLR it seemed like great value. Wondering if it was a good idea or not now?

kumate_champ07 - you're giving me great hopes for it with favourable comparisons to the EOS 1... but

Fajitas! - you're making me question my decision.

Is the build quality that much worse than, for example, the 450d (my current cam) or is it just that you'd require something more robust than myself? Any other reason for the dislike of the 300V? I honestly don't have the budget to go up to an EOS 3 or similar... so was hoping the 300V would offer me most of the functionality without the weather-proofing...

I'd say it's slightly 'looser' than the 450D...

There's nothing at all wrong with the 300 series, it's just not something I'd go for I guess. For twenty quid, you could be doing a lot worse :)

You kinda get what you pay for. If you're willing to pay 80 euro odd for the all-plastic EF 50mm f/1.8, why not pay 20 euro for the all-plastic EOS 300?

(You might find the autofocus in low light a bit slow compared to the 450d though.)

they will have to send it off. not many people shoot slide film, never mind negative film.
    the fuji place beside the abbey street luas stop develops and mounts for 12.50

• Advertisement

wow I didnt know the 450d was that light, its 110g heavier than the 300v

another advantage to the 300 series is they are so cheap you dont really worry about it getting damaged, can be easily replaced. Im trying to keep mine like new tho cos its silver and nice looking but the black eos 300 would be a nice camera to abuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If I'm as happy with the 300v as I am with the 50 1.8 it'll be the best €20 I've ever spent! ;)

The 300v actually has a metal mount though :)

EDIT: For better or worse, I won the auction and will have one arriving in the post in a few days for the princely sum of €20.89 :)

Back on topic ....

Nisio .... I have a Ricoh FF-3 AF as well as a Pentax Zoom 90 which you are welcome to borrow. Both are 35mm Compacts.

I might take you up on your very kind offer Cabinsail, might you be going along to the peoples photography this weekend or I could perhaps collect it at DCC Tuesday night?

• Advertisement

I will be at PP this weekend.

Which camera would you like to use?

Both were given to me for the postage alone, so I have them there to lend to people.

AFAIK both are working fine but I have yet to put a film though either of them.

I'll send you a pm

Advertisement