Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Standing Stove for Gas Fire place

Options
  • 26-08-2009 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭

hi folks,

hoping someone can help me here i seem to be going around in circles. I have a gas fireplace at home. there is no gas fire in it just the gas pipe coming out of the ground. the previous owners never had a fire in there either from what i can tell. Now i want to get a free standing stove and put it in. the heath measure 450mm from the fire op to the edge and the ope itself is 450mm wide and 500mm high ( i have to confirm this as i dont have dimensions with me). now the chimney then is concrete and looks like it has not been touched since the builders left it. its of a grey construction. quite smooth all around the walls. this then reduces into a hole and then goes on up. I have found the makes esse in particular the 525 stove and was going to put it in. I have limited space height wise so i am careful to make sure that the flue fits and all the stoves i see/like i make sure that the flue will fit with a little space. now i have been reading a few posts on here about chimneys linings, flue pieces not working, packing the chimney etc. etc. etc. I am totally, totally lost.

all i want to do is plonk the stove on the hearth, with the flue pieces i have bought (probably 90 deg bend and length of flue) install them according to the manufacturers instructions and on advice of stove seller light a fire up, fiddle around around with the controls a bit then sit back relax and enjoy. just to note that my fire surround seems to be black marble and has joints in it, the hearth has a joint running down the centre of it from the fire ope.

has anyone any advice on what is wrong with what i typed above? what do i need to look out for/do so that the stove works right first time. i dont want to spend upwards of 1K only for the thing not to work properly.

thanks for the replies in advance and sorry for the long post.

burger.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

has anyone any help on the above please going to buy the stove at the weekend and looking to get the flue as well for it at the shop.

thanks,

burger

Advertisement