Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Satriani sues Coldplay

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

yea old news, it's possible it's a copy but it's also very likely it's not - they are both very simple tunes we are not talking about symphonies so given there are tens of thousands of people writing music it's not surprising one persons Do Di Do sounds an awful lot like another persons Do Di Do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I totally disagree OP, the similarity is slight, Ok I'm biased I like Coldplay, but in all honesty if Satriani successfully sues Coldplay then we will have a free-for-all, 100 artists suing 100 others.....there are only so many beats in a bar and notes on a scale before music starts to sound similar.

Off the top of my head I can think of at least 5 other examples that would be more worthy of a plagiarism allegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I cant find it now but theres a great youtube thing on this where this guy who teaches guitar goes right down into theory and makes it pretty conclusive that its ripped off imo anyway. Il have a look around for it!

Edit, i just found it there! its like 20 mins but worth the watch I think anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Great vids Patricide, thanks for posting them. Care to name the other 5 Jerry, I'd be interested to hear them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭smythwicks

This is too close to not be plagiarised

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znrHzefl8cM&feature=related

don't think there's any suing going on there though!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

No worries, when I seen this originally i was meant to post up a thread but i forgot. The world should see. Also a bit off topic but green day do a great job taking the hooks from old famous really familiar songs and implementing them into there own songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

slipss wrote: »
    Care to name the other 5 Jerry, I'd be interested to hear them.

No bother.

Now, I'm not saying any of these intentionally went out to rip the other off, or if they even knew the piece of music they were composing was similar to another piece, but to me they sound as "copied" as the Coldplay-Satriani piece and there is no suing going on. I suppose its down to ones own interpretations.....
    [1]
    Similar intro to Dani California by RHCP, a bit slower and all, but still....

[2]
    The intro of The Rapture track, and at 6.00 into the New Order one, Identical four on the floor beat, same tempo, identical keyboard solo....obviously The Rapture are influenced by New Order so I think they new what they were doing here!!

[3]
    Chorus from Manics song same melody as the opening from that dodgy 80s band one!

[4]
    How Funkadelic didnt sue the Verve for this I'll never know, exact same intro!

[5]
    This one doesnt need a video, Oasis Cigarettes and Alcohol vs TRex Get It On:cool:

I'm not bitching about these bands, I like most of em, just saying the similarities are no more blatant than what Coldplay composed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

smythwicks wrote: »
    This is too close to not be plagiarised

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znrHzefl8cM&feature=related

don't think there's any suing going on there though!:rolleyes:

That video is a little misleading though no? Frances Limon was released on the 17th of august 2004, not in 2002. If I Could Fly was released on the album Is There Love In Space which was released 13th of April 2004. I agree they sound too similar to be coincidence but would seem Verdes is the one doing the copying. Chances are Satriani never even heard Frances Limon, which would explain him not sueing Verdes. No need for the roll eyes.

Advertisement