Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going off the pill in preperation

• 26-08-2009 4:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am 27 years old and have really wanted to start TTC for about a year now, but my BF of 4 years says he is not quite feeling ready yet. I totally respect his feelings on this but I am keen that when I get the green light things (hopefully) happen as quickly as possible.

I have been on the pill (Diannette first for teenage acne) and more recently Yasmin for about 8 years in total and I am worried that when I do come off them it could take months, or even years for my fertility to return to normal. (I did take a break of about a year around 5 years ago)

We were thinking that it might be a good idea to stop now and use some sort of barrier contraception in the meantime. Does anyone have experience about how long it might take for fertility to return to normal levels- obviously its different for everyone, but I'd love to hear some personal experiences.

Any ideas on how to warm up the fella's cold feet on this also welcome! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

it really is different for everyone. that being said my personal experience is that I came off Dianette at the end of May this year after a good few years on it (about 8). My cycle has been 39 days for the last 2 cycles, I'm into my third cycle at the moment. My cycle was always a long one (6 weeks) so I'm not bothered that it is at 39 days at all, the important thing is that it regularised itself immediately. Having said that I'm still not pregnant but hope to be soon! :)

Re your partner, give him time and continue to respect his feelings as you have been doing, you can't rush these things or put pressure on - well I suppose you can but it's not a good idea! I'd recommend you come off the Pill and use another form of contraception that doesn't impact your cycle, this will give your cycle time to reguate and your body should be ready for when ye decide to take the next step.

Bet of luck for when you do start ttc and enjoy the fun!
    DF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

As it happens I was with my doctor for a smear test today and the topic of cming off the Pill came up. I've been on it for 12 years or so now and myself and my boyfriend are thinking of getting married next year and trying for a baby soon after.
    I mentioned this to her and she said that coming off it after 10 years or so is recommended and that proper periods should start back in about 6 -8 months or so as it would take approximately that amount of time for the hormones to work their way out of my body. She also advised starting on folic acid. I'm 32.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

I might go a bit against the flow here but when you and your partner feel ready to conceive it is not really strictly speaking necessary to be off the pill for long enough for periods to return in their proper form.

I know in some countries it is even recommended for couples that are having trouble conceiving to go on the pill for a few months, then stop taking it and try immediately. I don't know a mechanism of it, but apparently for most people there seem to be a fertility surge right after coming off the pill.

I was in the mini-pill myself and my gp was pretty relaxed about me coming off it and ttc. As I was healthy enough and no reason to wait as such.
    Suffice to say I was pregnant 2 or 3 weeks later. Was a bit of a shock, as I was expecting it to take longer. :D

One of the main reasons for waiting for normal periods to return is that it makes estimating your due date easier for doctors. But you have to have a scan anyway, so they'll figure it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I cared for many women as a midwife who became pregnant straight after coming off the pill. Most didn't know they were pregnant as they were waiting for their periods to return to normal.

I just found out yesterday that my beautician has also become pregnant the month she stopped taking the pill.

As thje previous poster said, it is advisable to let your periods to return to a normal cycle to assist in calculating the due date etc... but a quick scan will give you that anyway, and most due dates are changed to fit in with scan measurements!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey Ladies,

Decided at the end of July to start trying, but was waiting til end of Aug to come off the pill as I had a colposcopy and wanted to get the all clear just in case...but started folic acid straight away..

I came off mid packet om the 23rd August and had an artifiical 'pill' bleed on the 27th for a few days, as normal. I'm also wondering how long it may take for my 'real' period to come back, and if theres any chance of conception before this (though, from some of your posts, this seems possible, if not always likely-good news!)

If I'm not bleeding, am I ovulating? Why is the pill regieme so strict if you can get pregnant when on it and not having 'real' bleeds, unless you ovulate? Sooo confused!

We're at day 40 now and still no sign of a bleed..and I've taken three pg tests (convincing myself of symptoms!) - had a wedding and a couple of big nights out and wanted to make sure I was safe to have a few scoops (hopefully I'll be off it for a good long while asap!), but as much as I didn't think any would be positive, was still surprised at the dissapointment!

Have not really been 'trying' that much i.e no more than usual , 'cause didn't think there was much point 'til I got my cycle back -am now dissapointed given some of your stories..

Anyway, I'm going on a bit now...sorry girls!

I :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Day40 wrote: »

We're at day 40 now and still no sign of a bleed..

I :)

Spoke too soon...very dissapointed, but least its a way to go to getting a better idea of my cycle! When this ends, could I be reasonably confident in ovulating after 10-odd days, or will it be entirely dependent on when the next one comes? I can monitor my ewcm too...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would suggest considering getting a digital fertiltiy monitor like the persona and using that to start and try track your cycle.

Advertisement