Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is EIRCOM down again???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I had the same problems. I'm in Crumlin, Dublin.

I switched to open DNS and it's working great now.

What does pen DNS mean? Is it any harm being on open DNS?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Add me to the list of people experiencing problems too. There have been intermittent problems all evening. It doesn't seem to be as bad as the episodes we had a while back, but it is the same symptoms. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

tsup wheety ;-

probs less of a threat on OpenDNS than on eircom at times like this

Are you the owner of Star bingo or something or can you just see it from your window?

yup.. window. street. i used to play quasar and SFII there and count the lice crawling around little Dalton's gel encrusted spikes waiting my turn.. but now its just a locale for reference to incidents like this

• Advertisement

I'm not far from there. Near the firestation.

Anyway, you reckon Eircom is getting attacekd again like a few weeks ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Technical question: I've set up Open DNS, as instructed above, and it appears to be working. It is now showing the 4 DNS address (2 old ones and the 2 Open DNS ones). So that's all fine.

Now, do we need to revert to the old settings when all this is over or will it automatically default back to using the Eircom ones and use the Open DNS ones when there are problems? Is it a case of "Leave it as it is, why would you want to ever go back to Eircom's servers?" or do we have to reset it again at some point. Basically, a little bit more on the implications of changing and what to do next or should we just leave it as is?

Wheety wrote: »
    I'm not far from there. Near the firestation.

Anyway, you reckon Eircom is getting attacekd again like a few weeks ago?

dunno.. have not seen the searchbar hijack anyhow - maybe that was the only occasion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Flukey wrote: »
    Technical question: I've set up Open DNS, as instructed above, and it appears to be working. It is now showing the 4 DNS address (2 old ones and the 2 Open DNS ones). So that's all fine.

Now, do we need to revert to the old settings when all this is over or will it automatically default back to using the Eircom ones and use the Open DNS ones when there are problems? Is it a case of "Leave it as it is, why would you want to ever go back to Eircom's servers?" or do we have to reset it again at some point. Basically, a little bit more on the implications of changing and what to do next or should we just leave it as is?

Leave it as it is if you dont want any furthur problems with time outs

It wont have any complications on your connection whatsoever

Any answer for Flukey's questions? Is there any harm in changing DNS?

Thank's nuxxx

• Advertisement

Flukey/Wheety i was concerned the distance of the OpenDNS may cause slowness in some form or another, maybe lookups? only reason i changed back. some seem perfectly happy to have not though

-we should probs keep it in that thread too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

my internets really slow tonight and i cant sign into my ps3 account:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭TheDonMan

No there aren't really any realistic harms in using Open DNS, less than Eircom's infact i'd wager. I've been using it for as long as I can remember. If you're intrested in finding out more about Open DNS check out their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭TheDemiurge

It's gone again - EirCON they should be called

marko91 wrote: »
    my internets really slow tonight and i cant sign into my ps3 account:mad:

hate having to change the DNS on that, esp. having bn in the 10th round of FN4 and winning.

OpenDNS:

primary - 208.67.220.220

secondary - 208.67.222.222

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

Star Bingo wrote: »
    hate having to change the DNS on that, esp. having bn in the 10th round of FN4 and winning.

OpenDNS:

primary - 208.67.220.220

this happens often doesnt it!...i wont bother messing about with settings cos i do just leave it for the night and its always back working by the morning:)...im from crumlin too...must happen alot to us:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Just set the DNS settings in the router, then you won't have to change anything on PCs or PS3s, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DonOcelot

Cheers guys for those DNS no's, My internet was hit and miss all night, not only has changing the DNS fixed that, they also have my browsing speed running smoothly now.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

stupid question whicH i answered myself

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stesh

Sporadic connections again, just like a couple of weeks ago. Another DDOS?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Star Bingo wrote: »

OpenDNS:

primary - 208.67.220.220

To be pedandic, you have those addresses the wrong way about.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    To be pedandic, you have those addresses the wrong way about.
    To be pedantic, it makes no difference which name server he queries as his primary one.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

Is it only me today? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

none wrote: »

nope;),i'm surprised i am able to wright this post now even!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paddy cork

no problems here in cork too

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭auditek923

mine is running faster now i changed to open dns but my outlook express is not workin still. any tips??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

none wrote: »
    I'm in North Dublin and Eircom's broadband has been slow or non existent all evening. Boards is one of the few sites that I am able to log onto!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Down for 3 other people I know tonight in wexford town..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Koloman wrote: »
    I'm in North Dublin and Eircom's broadband has been slow or non existent all evening. Boards is one of the few sites that I am able to log onto!

Samesies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I am in uk but am thinking that bad weather in ireland is playing havoc with Eircom and preventing some boardsies accessing boards / internet ?

Would that be right ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement