Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That new English and Drama whatyoumajigger

Options
  • 26-08-2009 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

I do realise I'm one of twenty places in the course and its very likely that the other nineteen aren't aware of the wonders of Boards but just in case...

Anyone taking the new English and Drama degree course and awaiting with trepidation? The course search thing is a bit confusing (Stage one only has the core shizz, and stage two has no english :O), it'd be nice not to panic alone :D

If not - sure itll all be clear tomorrow;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 wemsie

Hello ChickenScratch!
    I know this is a complete shot in the dark (since the post is over two years old) but I'm finding it impossible to find opinions from people who have done English with Drama.
    At the moment, I have it down as #1 on my CAO. I really love English, and I'm good at it. I enjoy going to the theatre a lot too, and I think somewhere down the line I'd like to work in stage production. Can you tell me anything about the course? What are the classes like? What is expected of you in Drama parts? Do you have to act? etc.
    Hope you see this! (or if anyone else doing English with Drama or English with Film I would really appreciate some advice!)
    Thanks, Emma.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Hi Emma, I just did a drama module in stage crafts in semester one, it was quite interesting and covered more so the theory of theatre and ideas like Mise en scene. As part of our first assignment, we had to do a report on a play we went to see as part of the Ulster Bank Theatre Festival ( Blue Boy) and incorporate the elements which we learned in our report. It is not drama in the acting sense, at least not for that module

If you follow this link:http://www.ucd.ie/students/course_search.htm
    and then click on arts and then on English and Drama, and look at Stage 1, you will see the two drama modules which you can click on and it gives you a brief summary about what the course is about, what it entails and such.

Perhaps if you could try and go to a lecture in Introduction to Drama and Performance 1 this semester to see what it's about and get a feel of the course.

People who have studied and English and Drama in UCD have gone on to work in theatre, even consider giving the drama department an e-mail, I'm sure they won't mind and they can give you just as good advice as anyone who has done the course.

On the performance side of things, if you would like to act, there is a very active ( and slightly crazy!) Dramsoc in UCD.

Hope this helps, good luck in whatever you decide to choose!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 wemsie

Brilliant, that sounds right up my street! I'll be sure to give the Drama Dept an email. I can barely tell a lie with a straight face, let alone act!
    Thanks a million, really appreciate your help

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

wemsie wrote: »
    Brilliant, that sounds right up my street! I'll be sure to give the Drama Dept an email. I can barely tell a lie with a straight face, let alone act!
    Thanks a million, really appreciate your help

No problem, it's a good course, and they're really friendly so should be glad to answer any queries!

Advertisement