Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE or NHS Speech Therapy

Options
  • 26-08-2009 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Haven't had NHS speech therapy in Northern Ireland since I was 5 or 6 and even then it wasn't for stammering, more pronounciation of words.
    Just wondering...are there any forum users who are getting/have got HSE or NHS speech therapy???
    How long did you have to wait on an appointment??? Did you have to travel??? Was/is it any good???
    NHS speech therapy is free for adults...is HSE speech therapy free??? I hear working adult southerners can pay up to 20 Euros just to see a doctor about an ailment!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

€20 Paul? More like €50! :(
    I did the Dublin Adult Stuttering (DAS) course through the HSE. I paid €100 for a week long residential course staying in a hotel. The HSE paid for everything. The €100 was just to cover admin charges. The course has since changed to non-residential, one night a week over 8 weeks. Due to the economic downturn the course is now on hold, haven't a clue when it'll be run again. Hopefully it'll be soon.
    I found the course excellent and changed my whole perception of stuttering.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

€50 to see the doctor...I think a trip to see the local pharmacist would be my preferred option if I was sick!!! He/she would dispense with free advice...provided you bought something in his shop!!! :)
    I would love Northern Ireland to have a residential group stammering therapy course going...run and funded by the NHS!!! I think therapy up here just centres on one-to-one therapy...though I have to find that out for sure!!! Hence the post!!!
    If the DAS Course has stopped due to funding issues I'm sure this new Mullingar Course run by the Irish Stammering Association will be effected too!!! It is a shame as speech therapy should be free and accessible to all...with group therapy being the most beneficial!!!
    As you know Stephen, once you have good residential group therapy then the need for further therapy isn't really required...particularly if after therapy support is in place, organised by course participants themselves!!!
    If only the government or speech therapy departments would let people with stammerers, like us, help decide the bigger picture about how best we use the resources available!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

So no one on this forum has ever had HSE or NHS therapy...besides DAS or Patmar???
    Definitely shows that government funded speech therapy may be lacking resources!!! That or maybe people on this forum have never asked the state for help with their speech!!!
    As I said in my Awareness Day thread...I hope someone with authority from the HSE attends on 17th October at The Wynns Hotel!!!

Advertisement