Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External Hard Drive Problems

• 26-08-2009 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi, Ive been Having Problems with my external hard drive.
    I haven't used it in about a month and when I plugged it in yesterday it didn't show up on my computer.
    It makes the sound to tell me its connected and the safely remove usb mass storage device icon shows up on the task bar.
    I went into the disk management tool and it shows up as disk 1 and says its Not initialized. When I try to initialize it times out. Any Ideas or is my hard drive borked? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

Can you try plug it in on another system and do some diagnostics on it? You didn't give it any bangs or bumps did you? Try changing the usb cable just in case.

Afaik initialize is just short for format which you really don't want to do. Try under device manager updating drivers from the internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dave D

wolfric wrote: »
    Can you try plug it in on another system and do some diagnostics on it? You didn't give it any bangs or bumps did you? Try changing the usb cable just in case.

Afaik initialize is just short for format which you really don't want to do. Try under device manager updating drivers from the internet

Thanks, yeah I tried it on my laptop and same thing happened.
    also tried updating the drivers and no improvement. It probably did get knocked off the self or something as the usb port at the back seems to have a lot of movement in it.
    luckily there's another usb port and a lan port will try those options later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

it could be corrupt and need formatting.... i had a 500gb that i had left plugged in for like 2 months (not into a computer just power supply) and tried to use it and it makes the usb sound saying it was connected but wasnt showing up, tried it on numerous machines and then checked it with disk management which said it was unallocated space and do i wish to format it. i havent had the heart to format it yet as there is too much vital info on it, but i know its fooked :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Is it a Buffalo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dave D

inode wrote: »
    it could be corrupt and need formatting.... i had a 500gb that i had left plugged in for like 2 months (not into a computer just power supply) and tried to use it and it makes the usb sound saying it was connected but wasnt showing up, tried it on numerous machines and then checked it with disk management which said it was unallocated space and do i wish to format it. i havent had the heart to format it yet as there is too much vital info on it, but i know its fooked :(

Hmm I did leave it plugged in for a while also, could be the same problem.
    Is it a Buffalo?

Its a western Digital.

• Advertisement
Advertisement