Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SKY TV Help

• 26-08-2009 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

Sorry if i'm totally in the wrong place!

Just wondering does anyone have a no of someone who may come and look at my sky tv. Sky charge €100 for a call out which is outragous. If anyone knows of someone they could recommend to have a look would be much appreciated. In West Wicklow so even someone from round kildare wouldn't be far.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

What's wrong with it. If it's not working then they should come out for free... If you bought the box and haven't set it up you might have had a deal where they take 100 off the deal if you set it up yourself and then add it on if you require someone to come out and look at it. AFAIK any time we've had ours screw up it's been free to have a techy come out and analyse it. I'm pretty sure if they changed it'd be against some law indirectly. Either that or you're entitled to a full return.

If you have issues i commonly just unplug the tv box and wait 10 mins then plug it back in agian. The sky won't turn on for about a min but then it kicks in. It often solves any problems i have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭laurak265

Hi

Basically i have 2 sky boxes...i recently moved the box in my living room. Everything is fine except the Channel 4's are all broken up into boxes on screen. (C4 c41 E4 E41 and more 4) Any way i unplugged everything again and turned it off and bla bla. Didn't change...i rang sky and they sent new free to air signals to my box but it didn't fix it. The sky box in my other room works perfectly but this one won't. I had a spare box so i changed to that one because also said i needed a new box but i still have the same problem. There is obviously a tiny fault on the line from the satalite to the box but i can't find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

So do you have 2 satellites or sky multi room? Do you have both boxes plugged in at once?

I have sky multiroom...one box is working perfectly and the other one is jumping and breaking up and both are from the same satalite dish. I also have my new sky viewing cards in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭jeffk

Heres a long shot

Pull out the plug
    hold down back up on the front of the box
    put plug back in while holding said button
    wait for it to come up updating

This will force update the box software. I can get you into a rebuild but that wipes the box to out of box settings.

• Advertisement

Thanks....tried it but it didn't work. Grrrr its so annoying when it doesn't work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭jeffk

You say you moved the boxes.
    I assume the same cards are in the same boxes?

Yeah i just moved it from one side of the room to the other. Didn't touch the other box..it has stayed where it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Must be the coax cable feeding the second box, might have gotten damaged or eaten by a rodent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Would there be any chance the TV with the issue is displaying some form of Picture in Picture?

(It is a long shot)

Is a strange issue to have to be honest. Do all the "boxes" look well defined or is it just parts of the picture from each channel?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Have you tried the "definitely is working box" down at the troublesome location?

The picture is perfect on all channels...i can watch them all except the channel 4's. Its so weird..sometimes it comes back and is fine but most of the time...channel 4's have no sound and the picture breaks up into boxes on screen...its like something that would happen the signal in dreadful weather but its only those channels and its all the time!! I have no idea whats happening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

laurak265 wrote: »
    The picture is perfect on all channels...i can watch them all except the channel 4's. Its so weird..sometimes it comes back and is fine but most of the time...channel 4's have no sound and the picture breaks up into boxes on screen...its like something that would happen the signal in dreadful weather but its only those channels and its all the time!! I have no idea whats happening!
    Disregard my last post then.
    As mentioned it LOOKS like a dodgy cable/connector or possibly a dodgy LNB. Carry out the last post. If that box has problems with the same cable going into it, then there is something on that section of cable causing the problem, be it the LNB or cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭fergusman

laurak265 wrote: »

I've had the exact same problem as you for ages now.
    I rang sky as well and got the same response, booked a service callout which was not free and low and behold the fecker never turned up.
    Rang sky to complain and basically they told me that he arrived and I wasnt there. (I certainly was) So basically they said tough, and wanted to charge me again for another call out.
    I didnt bother and still have the same problem........I HATE SKY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Guys i had the same problem, simple way around it is tune in a diffrent ch4 and e4 to the other channels section, there is quite a few of them, ch4 and e4 is dodgy through the normal t.v guide but perfect in the other channels section.

Click this link http://www.wildsat.com/astra.htm

Insturctions are at the bottom of the page and codes are on this page. If you need anymore help pm me and i will run you through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭fergusman

Guys i had the same problem, simple way around it is tune in a diffrent ch4 and e4 to the other channels section, there is quite a few of them, ch4 and e4 is dodgy through the normal t.v guide but perfect in the other channels section.

Click this link http://www.wildsat.com/astra.htm

Insturctions are at the bottom of the page and codes are on this page. If you need anymore help pm me and i will run you through it.

Yeah I've done this as well but its still annoying that it doesnt work the way it should....
    must be a problem with the actual box...

Advertisement