Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

where to live in mullingar

• 26-08-2009 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Iam looking at moving from dublin to mullingar with my family, I know every estate has its good and bad areas, but where is where in mullingar?

Also any school suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭jenniwenni

Stay away from the grange, and dalton park the houses there are cheap for a reason.

There are tons of new housing estates, I wouldn't go for any of the ones off the ballymahon road (ardleigh, greenpark meadows etc) cos there are no facilities around.

What kind of house are you after? Petitswood manor/close has the best 3 bed semis I have seen, but a bit overpriced I think. Personally, I really like college hill and college vale, the houses are nice and there is lots of green space. Brookfield is also nice. I live in Abbeylands, which apparantly has a bad rep, but I have found it quiet, maybe thats cos I live at the start of the estate. The houses are not great though.

There are some great houses a little outside of the town, look at them before you look at estates. You could have a fab house on a bit of land with all the peace and quiet of the country and be only 10 min drive into the town.

Are you looking for secondary schools or primary?

In the town, I think st pauls has the best rep for primary. My kids went to presentation jnr, then CBS after 1st class (girls go to presentation snr) They never had any probs, but if you have boys and girls and dont want them split up then it's not good for you. If you can try to get one of the smaller 'country schools' -Taughmon on the castlepollard road is only 5 min drive out of the town, going against the traffic too.

As for secondary, I think St Finian's is one of the best schools in the country. There is CBS senior for boys and Loreto college for girls, both have bad reputations for bullying. Mullingar Community college seems a bit rough.

Hope this helps you, if you have any other q's feel free to ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

Hi, yeah the estates mentioned by the above poster are the dodgy ones alright. If you were interested in building a house in the town, the builder who was building the estate "Gleann Petit" on the Dublin Road is selling plots (assumption that the money ran out) on roadway in so it might be worth looking into. Its about a 15 min walk into town and there's a petrol station and shop a five min walk away. Great for quick access to N4 as you don't have to drive through the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭spoutwell

If you've got a car and you're not loaded you'd get a run-down cottage within 10 or 15 miles for 100 grand or less. Less to fall in negative equity. Better to put your money into doing it up than paying back on 200 grand for a 100 grand house. And if you're lucky you'll get a big garden you can live on when the economy really does collapse! Also you'll have better primary schools and less chance of getting mugged in the evenings. BTW I'm fourth generation here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 njean

Some good and not so good places to live in Mullingar, as mentioned above, Brookfield is nice, so also Ashefield..which is next door to Tesco, 5 minutes walk to all of the following.... Train station, Secondary boy school (CBS), and Loretto (Secondary girl school) and across the road from Irish school and multinational school!!, why not rent for a while and get a feel for the place...great value in renting and buying around the town. Welcome to Mullingar!!!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

On a boat !!

Sorry, couldnt resist

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 eugene murray

Maybe you would be better renting for a while frist and get a feel of the place. Mullingar like any other town it has good and bad. If you do drive it might not be a bad idea to look at the townlands round mullingar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

send the kids to a country school

as for town, would say there are a few dodgy areas, and a few lovely areas. as previous poster said - rent for a year/6 months then see what is available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Along the Old Dublin Road there are some nice estates:

* Prospect
    * Pettiswood Manor
    * estate beside Park Hotel (forgotten name)

Off the Old Dublin Road, there's the Ardmore road. New estate at the end of the road. Haven't heard what's it like but its new & looks good.

* Brookfield (near hospital and St. Finians secondary school)

* There is a new estate on the Athlone road (just before Fagan's equesterian centre). There is a very good (small) primary school in Ballinea up the road from this estate. So if you lived there your kids would qualify to go that school. Lots of people from town have tried to get their kids into that school. Nice area - in the countryside but only 2 miles from town.

That's really all the estates I would reccommend. IMO, alot of the houses in Mullingar were bought by investors during the Celtic Tiger. So alot of houses in the estates are rented out. I live in a newish estate in the town and this would be the case.

The main local paper here is the Westmeath Examiner. I think you can get a copy of it in some shops in Dublin. In the meantime checkout http://www.westmeathexaminer.ie/

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Cpt Beefheart

Iam looking at moving from dublin to mullingar with my family, I know every estate has its good and bad areas, but where is where in mullingar?

Lakepoint hasn't been mentioned. Strong residents association, and predominantly owner occupied I believe. 5 minute walk to St Colmans and small country school at Curraghmore few minutes drive out of town. Welcome to Mullingar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 hgeogheg

Lakepoint hasn't been mentioned. Strong residents association, and predominantly owner occupied I believe. 5 minute walk to St Colmans and small country school at Curraghmore few minutes drive out of town. Welcome to Mullingar.

Lakepoint is lovely estate, mainly owner occupied and families, lots of green areas, few mins walk to St Lomans for football and Lakepoint retail park which has 6 screen cinema, woodies, harry corry, harvey norman, byrnes world of wonder, would be in good catchment area for both town and country schools. Would definitely recommend rentingbut as said before anywhere on the delvin rd/dublin rd area would be considered very good areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

no shop near Lakepoint though. can be annoying having to go into town for milk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 hgeogheg

no shop near Lakepoint though. can be annoying having to go into town for milk
    Very true but arent they meant to be building a supermarket, off licence at the entance between Lakepoint Park & the retail park? Or is that all on hold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Yes a few weeks ago the diggers were in to level the site for the new shopping site.

(I live in that small estate (Deravarra) across the road from that site).

Pic attached of the site sign. Note the "opening 2009" !

Details here:
    http://www.cbre.ie/ie_en/properties?p_page=detail&p_cou_id=IE%20&p_id=10163&p_sector=3&p_location=73&p_terms=&p_size_min=&p_size_max=&p_size_mrm=SQM&p_price_min=&p_price_max=&p_count=1

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Spicymeme

CBS or colaste mhuire is great as a secondary school but here are some schools you should avoid
    Presentation jr and snr
    All Saints N.S
    Educate together
    St Fijians (bullying has gotten out of hand there)
    And that's it I recommend curraghmore and CBS as schools and UCD for college :P but I have been living here for 23 years (I'm 23) but it's your choice also avoid dalton park and Grange some nice estates are petitswood,Ardmore hills,Collette hill and vale and a little estate on the edge of town Hillview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

I'm sure after 8 years, OP has moved since

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

mullingar wrote: »
    I'm sure after 8 years, OP has moved since
    Indeed, probably not too relevant at this stage.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement