Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Restricted List SI 337 is now available

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

The 1st Law of Gun Safety - The Gun Is Always Loaded!

Regardless of what firearms you shoot taregts with you should know this one.

Goes hand in hand with the other axiom
    No Person was ever accidentally shot with a loaded firearm
    ofter stated as....
    I didn't know it was loaded

All Firearms are loaded until YOU prove otherwise

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Bananaman wrote: »
    Regardless of what firearms you shoot taregts with you should know this one.

Goes hand in hand with the other axiom

ofter stated as....

All Firearms are loaded until YOU prove otherwise

B'Man

Oh dear....

You got it right in your last sentence B'man, the quote from the website could be misinterpreted as the imperative rather than as cautionary.

There are always people stupid enough to misinterpret such a statement. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

the quote from the website could be misinterpreted as the imperative rather than as cautionary.

There are always people stupid enough to misinterpret such a statement

Or is humankind just getting dumber as a species??After all,if we have to put notes on Coffee beakers..CAUTION HOT LIQUID!,or like in Japan on knives..CAUTION SHARP EDGE!!:rolleyes:
    I suppose next we will have to put H&S notices on our guns..Anyone like to suggest what sort of notice this might be???

This is mine..CAUTION contains LEAD! A known toxic substance that might harm you during pregnancy.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Or is humankind just getting dumber as a species??
    An entire debate there in itself ;)

Though I think the cautionary notices are more directed at clever lawyers than stupid people :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

is idpa legal here or not ? i only seen a stage shot once on the internet and in this stage the shooter remained static and shot an array of targets around him ,

wasn't one of the bugbears with ahern that he didn't want people walking or running through stages shooting , it would be hard to legislate to eliminate idpa if the shooter is stationary while shooting .

• Advertisement

IDPA was never shot in Ireland so the point is a bit moot - it is like discussing Elephant culling - it doesn't matter if it is allowed or not

nobody did it
    nobody ever had any intention of doing it and
    the ranges would not have allowed it if they did.

To answer your queston it depends if it is deemed to be 'practical shooting'
    If so, then it is a prohibited activity under the new legislation - however - there is no definition of 'practical shooting' in the legislation - a difficult one to determine as 'moving between firing points during a stage' describes many shooting activities such as Most forms of Clay Pigeon Shooting, All forms of Hunting, some Olympic Rifle shooting disciplines, etc.

Like I said - it was never shot here so the point is a bit moot.

It is generally accepted, however, that this legislation is targetted at the sport of IPSC as it was getting too popular and was beginning to usurp the more tie and short pants wearing disciplines.

B'Man

IDPA was never shot in Ireland so the point is a bit moot - it is like discussing Elephant culling - it doesn't matter if it is allowed or not

nobody did it
    nobody ever had any intention of doing it and
    You can't know that.
    the ranges would not have allowed it if they did.
    And you can't know that either. A new range could have been built to accomodate it.
    But the point really was about practical shooting generally and IDPA is considered a 'practical' shooting sport. And I'm using the IPSC definition of what practical shooting is as well as how IDPA defines itself.
    To answer your queston it depends if it is deemed to be 'practical shooting'
    If so, then it is a prohibited activity under the new legislation - however - there is no definition of 'practical shooting' in the legislation - a difficult one to determine as 'moving between firing points during a stage'
    The definition in the legislation is: "In this section “practical or dynamic shooting” means any form of activity in which firearms are used to simulate combat or combat training."
    describes many shooting activities such as Most forms of Clay Pigeon Shooting, All forms of Hunting, some Olympic Rifle shooting disciplines, etc.
    Which obviously it does not when you actually read the legislation. And I'd love to know what Olympic Rifle discipline involves "moving between firing points during a stage".
    It is generally accepted, however, that this legislation is targetted at the sport of IPSC as it was getting too popular and was beginning to usurp the more tie and short pants wearing disciplines.

B'Man
    By whom is it generally accepted? People like you who don't even know what the legislation states?
    Did you never hear the phrase: "A rising tide lifts all boats"? Any increase in participation in the shooting sports benefits all shooting sports because new ranges get built, bringing target shooting to areas of the country where it was largely unknown and by osmosis spreading to other areas as it expands. No matter what people start out doing, they will try other disciplines and there have been a number of NTSA members that came frrom practical shooting and there has been at least one NTSA member that I know of went shooting practical shooting and one that switched to WA1500 and is now No. 3 or 4 in the world.

So to coin a phrase you are so fond of, that's complete Horlicks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

rrpc wrote: »
    And I'd love to know what Olympic Rifle discipline involves "moving between firing points during a stage".

Winter Biathlon should cover that with up to 35 km between stages. Like the elephant hunting it is unlikely in Ireland.

sfakiaman wrote: »
    Winter Biathlon should cover that with up to 35 km between stages. Like the elephant hunting it is unlikely in Ireland.
    I'd love to know where you can do that in Ireland :D

It's not really comparable anyway because you only shoot from a fixed point at a fixed target at each 'stage', you 'carry' your rifle to the next stage, but it's not loaded and it's not in your hand and you don't move on each stage.

But as it's not the definition in the legislation, it's academic really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

sfakiaman wrote: »
    Like the elephant hunting it is unlikely in Ireland.

Well not with that attitude! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

G17 wrote: »
    Well not with that attitude! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Well OK! maybe on waterskis. :D:D:D

Good lads

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

ASFIK there is ONE person in the entire British isles who is an accredited IDPA shooter,and he resides in the UK mainland.Soo hardly a great potential following for it here.

As for Irish elephant hunting..to quote Graucho Marx "I shot one in my pants yesterday".

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

sorry lads but i'm getting it hard to understand the wording of the new firearms laws.

just a quick question, I have a semi-automatic 12-guage shotgun which can hold 3 cartridges and a .223 centerfire bolt action sporting rifle, are these restricted?

one more, who do I make the postal orders fee out to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Your ok on both those firearms, non are restricted- hold on till we get further guidelines on who the postal order is made out to;you wont have to make out a postal order till your licences have been granted;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Generally accepted by you, maybe.
    Not by anyone who saw what happened though.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

sound foxshooter thanks for that...

Advertisement