Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who are your favourite Irish DJ's?

• 26-08-2009 6:05pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

And why?

Not just a name please - tell us why they get top marks in your book...

Any other random info is helpful for those who may not have heard of them.
    Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Seannash ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Diageio_Man

Fran hartnett, playing mostly live now but his set's from the creation raves years ago were always great. his live sets are also top notch.

Robbie ryan(BigDishGo), always plays diffrent styles and has a great tune selection.

Barry donovan (lunar disko), that chap live's and breaths great music electro italo chicago, and plays it really well

Sunil sharp, always a pleasure to see playin in the twisted pepper this w/e.

Jonathan woods(acii disco), has a nice unique style while still banging it out.

Brian cairns(acii), some really nice sets out of him the last while thinj he posted a few of them in the recommend dark techno thread.

DeFeKt, some sick ass real electro he's a diamond in the rough.http://www.myspace.com/defektedelectro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

5er for anyone who says me.

no but seriously,

Sian.
    Or Donnacha Costelloe.

Fran hartnett, playing mostly live now but his set's from the creation raves years ago were always great. his live sets are also top notch.

Robbie ryan(BigDishGo), always plays diffrent styles and has a great tune selection.

Barry donovan (lunar disko), that chap live's and breaths great music electro italo chicago, and plays it really well

Sunil sharp, always a pleasure to see playin in the twisted pepper this w/e.

Jonathan woods(acii disco), has a nice unique style while still banging it out.

Brian cairns(acii), some really nice sets out of him the last while thinj he posted a few of them in the recommend dark techno thread.

DeFeKt, some sick ass real electro he's a diamond in the rough.http://www.myspace.com/defektedelectro

Yup Jonathan Woods was actually the first proper dj I heard in dublin (i'm THAT new to the scene).
    Set was so good, I gave up rock music and become a techno degenerate. Bang on guy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

jtsuited wrote: »
    5er for anyone who says me.

no but seriously,

Sian.
    Or Donnacha Costelloe.

Might have said you if you ever arrange that production meet up! Or has it already gone ahead? :o

+1 For Donnacha

• Advertisement

Might have said you if you ever arrange that production meet up! Or has it already gone ahead? :o

+1 For Donnacha

Hasn't gone ahead so far. you know how summers are. Will arrange it when I get back from holidays.

Then will ya say me???:D

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Starfox

well being a trance head im gona say JOC, and why? he can produce!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

Scurry-can play a set to suit any club and genre, retaining cred with the spotters while keeping the floor heaving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Sunil Sharpe is Irish? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

Sunil Sharpe is Irish? :eek:

Just because he has a "foreign" name doesn't mean he's not irish... believe me man when I tell you that :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Sunil, Fran Hartnett, Warren K and of course Francios. All been playin my kinda music for a long time. Had plenty of nights out where these guys were playing, often supporting internatonal djs and they blew the superstar away, or at the very least proved that we irish had lads here of a serious caliber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

O'Callaghan, and has been since long before he got signed to Armada and got the mainstream push he's had recently. Always been an exceptional DJ whenever I've heard him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

From the older crowd:

Naphta - legendary skills, militant selection, unparalleled knowledge.

Rohan - tempered Naphta's experimental edge, was pretty much the main taste maker for anyone into dnb who had a long musical memory and the wish to dig a little past the big tunes... a huge influence

Don Rosco - a soldier... Was playing dubstep before skream had hair on his gonads, and was hitch-hiking to London to bring jungle back to dublin all the way back in the early 90's... Not to mention his activities as the official shop-steward of the irish junglist union, a scourge of wackness whatever form it may take...

Code - making experimentalism sexy; manages to turn tunes you'd never have the balls to play out into the biggest anthem of the night; manages to make trainspotters scratch their heads while making the dancing crew rock the **** out, as opposed to vice versa... Inspirational stuff...

Bonz - the Luke Skywalker of Irish drum and bass

Ricky Force - ruffneck ****, each and every time...

Fran Hartnett - a master craftsman.

Simon F - skoolio makes you eat the insides of your cheeks the way you did at scooter gigs back in the day, each and every time

honourable mentions to:

stacks
    sunil sharpe
    conky and giles (the jackit dj's)
    bubbles - whatever you may have thought about him after he moved to the pod, his sets down at sunday central in switch back around 2000-ish were pure deep house heaven
    keylock'd - no nonsense, no art, no fannying about, just pure lol-techno

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

it was
    francois, when he was still dj'in -he always got a buz goin with a mix mash of tunes, and he looked like he was enjoying himself, just like everyone else in the club, unlike a lot of djs these days, who play dodgyminimalclickyimsotrendywankermusic and stand around thinkin there hot ****.
    +
    billy scurry - always plays a good varied house set, but i prefer more solid techno, than house, when im buzzin:D)

but now its
    sunil sharpe.Quality techno all ways - right down my alley.

I dont think ive ever seen fran hartnet, im not from dublin, so he completely passed me by, until i came across - "fran hartnet - alpha" on mantrap, and a couple of other tracks , which are all bangers. im goin to the musical mystery tour in carlow in a few weeks, so im really lookin forward to he's set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 OV

Fran has been around a good while, you may have seen him play as Azrael in the past?

OV wrote: »
    Fran has been around a good while, you may have seen him play as Azrael in the past?

I probably have but I just cant remember any particular night - Ive definetly heard of azreal before though - maybe around 2001 or 2002.Just downloaded his latest set there, havent listened to it yat just scanned through, sounds like a proper grinder :D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭donkeykingkong

Sunil Sharpe. He has always been rockin when ive seen him and he is a gent to talk to, real sound fella

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Joe Duffy

Joe.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

im goin to the musical mystery tour in carlow in a few weeks, so im really lookin forward to he's set.

If you know where it is and who's playing its not much of a mystery tour. I'd ask for my money back.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭D Audio Tripper

Always enjoy an Al Keegan set, can be pretty certain of having a good night at any of the gigs he's involved in also!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 tommym037

Gerry Ryan, or occasionally Ian Dempsey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Has to be Donnacha

Dan McElligot is always good aswell when he plays

Daroxtar wrote: »
    If you know where it is and who's playing its not much of a mystery tour. I'd ask for my money back.:)
    bit of a ****e name allright, line up looks good though - all irish djs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

Billy Scurry for me.

Quality house when Ive ever seen him.

Also an honourable mention to Hugh Scully, whom we used to to see religiously every week when me and the lads started our "buzz". :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 mrs.vandoorn

orla feeney does it for me ! and shes a lovely girl :D

Advertisement