Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any other ideas?

• 26-08-2009 6:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of buying a 98 Toyota Glanza V. Im not a boy racer that has to rev my bar to get attention. Just its a bit of fun and i can get it cheap.

Im 19 just got full license and 1 years NCB. Got a quote of 1700 (Roughly)
    I thought it was decent enough. Any other ideas to a car that is bit of fun.
    Was goin to get a focus but i drove one recently but god its slow and a bore. It was a 1.4 dont know if bigger size engine is better?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

a 1.6 Focus is far better. Have a look at the Ford Puma too. 1.7 might be costly to insure but a 1.4 or 1.6 should be manageable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Ive drove the puma, 1.7 is fast
    Bit small in the back.. thanks had forgotton about the puma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

if you find a good one i honestly think they could become a classic in the future...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Whatever about image and looks etc a Glanza V is quite a quick car. Without much effort you'd be looking at under 7 seconds for 0-60. No Puma etc is remotely close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

agreed. Glanzas have a questionable image, but in a straight line they're very fast.

• Advertisement

1.7 puma can come close to that no?

nope. not anywhere near.

the Puma is only about 150 bhp and is heavy enough. Glanzas can be mapped to 160bhp easily, and quite a few are hitting 200. the Puma is normally aspirated, so doesn't have the same torque that the Glanza has.

0-60 for the Puma is just under 8 seconds, but that only tells some of the story.
    Granted, the Puma will out handle the Starlet in the twisties, but for outright speed, the Glanza has it.

PS: despite this I'd still take the Racing Puma over the Glanza (not a 1.4 or 1.6 Puma though)

Thanks. Like i said wont be racing them just somethin dont want to get bord of.

Thanks for the suggestion of the puma totally forgot about it.
    Any more suggestions?

Plus any insurance companys?

Mitsubishi Colt MIVEC 1.6?
    172bhp from a 1.6 without a turbo and not as obvious as a Glanza.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

You got a quote of 1700 on a Glanza V and you're 19 with 1 year ncb...you sure?!

• Advertisement

The 1.7 Pumas are rare enough too. Most are 1.6. Of the 34 on CZ at moment only 4 are 1.7.

Colt Mivec is a good suggestion. Civic VTI/SIR type performance, but usually cheaper to buy and insure. And if done right can be subtle too.

Yes from more then two companys.
    Told them everythin. Ie Supercharger, import.

ye i like the mivics but seem to be expensive.
    Il keep an eye out. thanks again.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Yes from more then two companys.
    Told them everythin. Ie Supercharger, import.

ye i like the mivics but seem to be expensive.
    Il keep an eye out. thanks again.
    Charger?! Do ya mean Turbo?

I was gettin quotes for the craic online a few weeks ago and couldn't get a quote on a Glanza V...I think Quinn might of quoted but I think it was 1850...and I'm 22 with 3 yrs ncb, I got the same quote on a Teg R!!!

What companies were the quotes off? I'll give em a ring to see if they can beat quinn!

But I've been a passange in a Glanza a few times, they are very quick lil cars

The MIVECs may be expensive, but they're hugely fast, and incredibly well built. from an insurance point of view, you can have a totally standard one and still have 170bhp. with a Glanza, you're talking 130-133bhp in standard form (virtually all have been upgraded) if you're to insure the car properly you'd want to declare the modifications. especially on a Glanza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭bumble1

i had a Puma 1.7 they are lovely but glanza is better for a 19 year old they are fast enough the 2002 fiesta zetec s is a lovely looking car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭ChristyCent

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Mitsubishi Colt MIVEC 1.6?
    172bhp from a 1.6 without a turbo and not as obvious as a Glanza.

Gotta love the cyborg. I dont think I'll ever sell mine way too much fun absolutely eats up anything I come across thats anyway similar in size

Gotta love the cyborg. I dont think I'll ever sell mine way too much fun absolutely eats up anything I come across thats anyway similar in size
    Would they be quicker than a Civic Type R? I've been in CTR's but never a Mivec...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭pablosd

celica or mr2 beams?? i dont know what are they insurance wise at ur age but they would be down as non-turbo anyways and beat most cars on the road(especially mr2 beams in terms of handling and power)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Aren't the Glanza V's non-turbo? Or which is the non-turbo version? Either way, the standard Glanza turbos are around 130bhp, and everyone selling one claims that thiers is 190bhp or something silly. Induction kits don't add much power!
    Personally I think you can do alot better than one. Mivec Colt as mentioned, VTi Civic, Type R civic, etc. MR2, Celica Beams, and many more. If you're getting a Puma, try to find the wide arch one!

Biro wrote: »
    Aren't the Glanza V's non-turbo? Or which is the non-turbo version? Either way, the standard Glanza turbos are around 130bhp, and everyone selling one claims that thiers is 190bhp or something silly. Induction kits don't add much power!

Glanza V=Turbo
    Glanza S=Non Turbo

Yeah people often tend to exaggerate power figures allrite,
    its actually not that hard to get 190 brake out of them, good induction kit, front mount intercooler, full exhaust system and a remap should throw you around that figure with good cams you can go higher but not sure if engine internals can take that power without upgrades

• Advertisement

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    Would they be quicker than a Civic Type R? I've been in CTR's but never a Mivec...

Yeah by a bit actually. The cyborg is much more torquey (is that even a word?) than the civic and its lighter too

Yeah by a bit actually. The cyborg is much more torquey (is that even a word?) than the civic and its lighter too
    Suprising, I always assumed the Civic would be well lighter than the Mivec, I've always rates the Type R's above them, bit of a Honda fan so I couldn't help it!

Insuring a Cyborg won't be easy for a 19 year old. Would be fairly major money, as would a MR2 or anything of the like. Same goes for a SIR or Type R Civic, a VTI Civic is possible I'd say, wern't they euro models?

civic sir II beats cyborg on a straight by a bit
    you can see it on a video on youtbube fastforward to 2:46

Nope, CTR would be a bit quicker, as an SIR II is, thanks to peak torque coming earlier than in the Mirage.

Here ya go...seen as you're stickin up for Honda I fixed yer link!!! :D
    pablosd wrote: »
    civic sir II beats cyborg on a straight by a bit
    you can see it on a video on youtbube fastforward to 2:46

JHMEG wrote: »
    Nope, CTR would be a bit quicker, as an SIR II is, thanks to peak torque coming earlier than in the Mirage.

Must be just useless drivers I'm coming across then :cool:

You look for Type R drivers to race? :rolleyes:

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    Here ya go...seen as you're stickin up for Honda I fixed yer link!!! :D

thanks i dont know why it didnt wrk,
    i have dc2r so im obviously a honda fan !!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Mitsubishi's claimed figures for Mivecs are very generous to say the least, any I have seen on dyno's have never reached anywhere near Mitsubishi's claimed figures whereas VTECH's constantly reach in or around Honda's published power figure as standard.

A healthy Civic Type R will always beat a healthy Colt Cyborg.

Probably 1.4 Civics done up to look like Type R's :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement