Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reviews of cheap/good value food - REVIEWS ONLY, NO CHAT

Options
  • 26-08-2009 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

What you got: Lunch Time Special
    Price: €5.90

Just back from O' Riordans on Quay St. and got the 'Light Lunch Special' for €5.90

Consisted of:
    1) Veg Soup with 4 slices of bread (2 brown, 2 white)
    2) Choice between Chicken&Cheese/Ham&Cheese/Tuna&Sweetcorn sandwich, Plain or toasted. Served with a small side salad & coleslaw
    3) Small pot of tea or coffee, OR, glass of Orange Juice

Soup:
    Image003.jpg

Sandwich:
    Image0041.jpg

For €5.90 this is a bargain and would highly recommend it. I was just after a 2.5hr workout and was starving. I can honestly say I was STUFFED after it. Proper thick veg soup. The sandwich felt a little plain, but was fine once I stuck in some of the salad with it. Will be back :) This is definately the best value lunch around Quay St, compare it to anywhere close by... lets take for total example The Front Door, which will charge you over €6.50 for a scabby Panini

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Zatsúma Crepes - Shop St.
    Usually have a special on 4.95 for the crepe of the day plus a tea or coffee (tea is Barry's, not catering cr*p!). Crepes are very filling - sweet crepes for dessert too. They have organic/veggie options as well as meaty ones. Typically 5-6 quid.
    Buckwheat batter if you need gluten free, good coffee, and people watching.
    Not a huge amount of tables outside, but most are covered by the awnings for 'normal' weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

The Riordans 'light lunch special' has been a fav. for ages.But check the Japanese kappa ya place on middle st. thursday special 'tomago don' rice,tofu,veg and salad 8.80.quality food

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If your post doesn't contain
    Price:

then pls don't post, I'll just delete it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Cava (I have to stop going there but it is so damn nice)
    On a monday and a tuesday they do a special Paella night.
    It's a seafood paella I got and it comes with a glass of house red or white for 15 euro. Gorgeous.
    They also have a lovely selection of tapas, most plates ranging from 6 to 10 euro. (Try the pork belly for somewhere in the region of 8.50.) One night I went in and was in a bit of a rush but the place was jammers so the food was a little delayed. They brought around a plate of patatas bravas for free to apologise (I had not complained at all either).

Gemelles on Shop st. does an early bird for 20 euro.
    My starter was a lobster and whiskey terrine with a lovely salad which had a home made lemon mayo. Beautifully plated too.
    My main was pan fried salmon with a sauce whose name escapes me now and a selection of veg on a side plate. Nice simple food. Wouldn't set the world on fire but good value for an early bird and would definitely entice me into the ala carte menu. Cup of tea / coffee to finish all for 20 quid. I believe it's 5-7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I had the lunchtime special in the Front Door on Wednesday; mexican bean soup (really tasty) with a ham, cheese and onion toasty. €5.50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I was up in Galway last Saturday and had a lovely meal in Food for Thought, Lower Abbeygate St.
    My bud and I went in for two coffees, a cajun chicken bap and a hawaiian bap. The baps were 5.50 each and the coffee was 1.80. Both of the baps were freshly prepared, lovely soft bread and filled well with a nice mayo-filling ratio (not too much). Their bog standard filter coffee was the real deal and served in a nice chunky mug. The food was filling and fresh, and as it was my first time in there, I was pleasantly surprised, as Galway is notoriously expensive for lunch.
    Most of all, the staff were really nice and friendly, no fake smiles, just genuine and efficient. All in all, we'll be back.

Advertisement