Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Market Value for V.R.T. purposes

• 26-08-2009 5:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    As you'll see from earlier postings, I've just imported a campervan from the U.K. At the moment I'm waiting for a cert. of export from Swansea before I can re-register it so can anyone tell me where I can find out what the current market value is?. I would like some sort of figure in order to be able to argue with the powers that be when they try to charge me the earth for V.R.T.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

moved to new thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Anyone interested in putting up a sticky or a thread on VRT that they've paid. Might be of use.

If anyone is interested:

Dethleffs A532 on Citroen C25 (Ducato), 1991, 130t miles, valued @ €11,000, paid €1463 VRT, April 2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

When you bring in your can they will measure the height, make sure it's 1.8 M at the lowest point and behind the drivers set - that's where they should measure.

They'll take photos and send them the Wexford who will come back with a value. Have print out's off Gumtee donedeal showing similar vans for sale and price - make the point that you'll appeal if you aren't happy with the price.

I paid 1330 for my 91 Toyota Hiace valued at 10K, to heigh in my book but I was about to be screwed becasue at one point the height was 1.77 and they agreed to measure behind the drivers seat in the end so I didn't argue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

When you bring in your can they will measure the height, make sure it's 1.8 M at the lowest point and behind the drivers set - that's where they should measure.

They'll take photos and send them the Wexford who will come back with a value. Have print out's off Gumtee donedeal showing similar vans for sale and price - make the point that you'll appeal if you aren't happy with the price.

I paid 1330 for my 91 Toyota Hiace valued at 10K, to heigh in my book but I was about to be screwed becasue at one point the height was 1.77 and they agreed to measure behind the drivers seat in the end so I didn't argue

Hi, Can you explain about this height business as I really don't understand what it has to do with the value. Many thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In order to be classiefied as a camper there has to be the interior height of 1.8 m

If you don't meet that, your vehicle gets classed as a private vehicle (like your car) and you pay the full VRT rate and not the reduced camper one

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    In order to be classiefied as a camper there has to be the interior height of 1.8 m

If you don't meet 1.8M, your vehicle gets classed as a private vehicle (like your car) and you pay the full VRT rate and not the reduced camper one

I think 80% certain that there are three classes A,B,C
    A is Cars and small vans 36%
    B is bigger vans 13%
    C is >3 ton 50 euros

If it's below 1.8M then it's classes as Class A which as a vet rate of 36% of the OMV (well for my engine size it did) But you can still tax it as a camper. There real problem is that most campers have one spot where it's less than 1.8 meters and if you get the wrong guy it's hassle.

Before you go check the height is above 1.8 meters at the lowest point. The rules say lowest point but there is an un written rule that they measure behind the drivers seat. The law is 1.8 M when measured to the satisfaction of the VRT officer.

Between queuing and paper work it should take 30 to 35 mins to be seen but never go before lunch or end of day always leave time for you to argue and ask them to get somebody else to look at it if there is a problem, if you don't like their answer ask again - a friend of mine had 3 people look at her van. I made the mistake of going just before lunch and had to come back a week later and had no end of stress over it.

Thanks Spacehopper,
    My 'van is a Bedford Rascal Romahome, the only place where it is just above 1.8 mtrs. is at the back where the cooker and sink are, but no-way should it be classed as a private car. so I'll have to hope I get a reasonable inspector. Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gwenn

I'm a bit lost with the VRT.
    I'm importing my VW transporter van 1987 from France. It has been converted as a camper. It has a westfalia pop up roof. This makes the van more than 1.8m when open but at 1.3m when closed.
    It has been valued at 3000€ and the VRT is 36%, that is 1080€.
    The woman at the Clare revenue office told me it was 36% because of the emissions. However the emission aren't proven what so ever as nobody has tested my van.
    If the 36% relate to the emission, I would like to test them because I'm pretty sure my van isn't that bad ... Anybody with suggestions?
    Is the 36% not related to the emission and the woman at the office just hasn't a clue about campers?

The other thing. I never bought this van. My dad gave it to me as an early inheritance (he's still alive though) about 5 years ago. I've been living in Ireland for 11 years though. Any suggestion on this?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Laducar

Pop up roofs will be charged the full 36% omv . Roof must be above 1.8m permanently for the reduced vrt rate. Emmisions don't come into it all.

Gwenn wrote: »
    I'm a bit lost with the VRT.
    I'm importing my VW transporter van 1987 from France. It has been converted as a camper. It has a westfalia pop up roof. This makes the van more than 1.8m when open but at 1.3m when closed.
    It has been valued at 3000€ and the VRT is 36%, that is 1080€.
    The woman at the Clare revenue office told me it was 36% because of the emissions. However the emission aren't proven what so ever as nobody has tested my van.
    If the 36% relate to the emission, I would like to test them because I'm pretty sure my van isn't that bad ... Anybody with suggestions?
    Is the 36% not related to the emission and the woman at the office just hasn't a clue about campers?

The other thing. I never bought this van. My dad gave it to me as an early inheritance (he's still alive though) about 5 years ago. I've been living in Ireland for 11 years though. Any suggestion on this?

Thanks.

Obviously there seems to be way round the 36% rule, my suggestion would be to do what I'm doing, and appeal against the valuation. My van, as can be seen from earlier postings, is not a pop-up roof, but the value put on it by the faceless people in Rosslare is 1000 euro more than I paid for it!. Appeal the OMV !!!!

• Advertisement

Obviously there seems to be way round the 36% rule, my suggestion would be to do what I'm doing, and appeal against the valuation. My van, as can be seen from earlier postings, is not a pop-up roof, but the value put on it by the faceless people in Rosslare is 1000 euro more than I paid for it!. Appeal the OMV !!!!

You can argue it with them on the day, so go back then if you haven't been able to agree you have three months to appeal. Get print outs off gumtree.ie dondeal.ie showing asking prices and photos then argue for a lower price or meet them half way. The most important thing is getting the road tax and insurance. What rate are they charging 13 or 36% and how much?

You can argue it with them on the day, so go back then if you haven't been able to agree you have three months to appeal. Get print outs off gumtree.ie dondeal.ie showing asking prices and photos then argue for a lower price or meet them half way. The most important thing is getting the road tax and insurance. What rate are they charging 13 or 36% and how much?

Hio Spacehopper.
    I'll come back to you on this once my appeal is in and sorted. I've paid the VRT and the van is taxed and insured so at least I can use it.

Advertisement