Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

send LOI players to the olympics?

• 26-08-2009 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

just had a thought, i know its a few years away yet, but would it not be a good idea for the fai to enter a Republic of Ireland team made up of League of Ireland players into the next olympic games in London, thats providing that the League of Ireland still exsists in 2012.

I don't think there has ever been an Irish olympic football team, so if the fai are not prepared to sent the senior squad give the chance to loi players. It can only do good for league in my opinion. At the last olympic teams such as, Argentina, Brazil, Holland and Germany all took part with all world-class players so it would be a great experience for the players and the league as a whole. For example use the under 23 team managed by Pat Fenlon which is currently made up of exclusivly League of Ireland players.

At the moment the LoI is at rock bottom, and i know that its 3 years away yet, but it surly something that I think the Fai could consider to give the league a little boost.

So what do the rest of you think?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Before i read that, it's not possible to just enter a team, you have to qualify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Two reasons why this shouldn't happen:

1. The Olympics are on during the LoI season, not at the beginning which is the case for most countries.

2. We would get battered left, right and centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭daniel91

CHD wrote: »
    Before i read that, it's not possible to just enter a team, you have to qualify.

well let them have a crack at qualifying.

baz2009 wrote: »
    Two reasons why this shouldn't happen:

1. The Olympics are on during the LoI season, not at the beginning which is the case for most countries.

2. We would get battered left, right and centre.

i think the football tournament lasts 2 weeks, theres already a one week break during the summer in the loi, just extend for another week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

daniel91 wrote: »
    well let them have a crack at qualifying.
    No. This would mean leaving out the top Irish youths for just LOI players for a future tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The Olympics is an U23 competition (plus you are allowed 3 players over 23 in addition).

The qualifiers are drawn from the European U21 Championship.

A LOI team fitting either age group would get badly embarrassed in either tournament (our U21 team isn't particularly competitive as it stands).

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

At the moment the LoI is at rock bottom
    LOI teams are starting to actually compete against European teams now, it mightn't be much but we're improving.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

LOI teams are starting to actually compete against European teams now, it mightn't be much but we're improving.

i mean the general state of the league i.e finance, low attendences

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

We couldnt enter a team anyway could we? The Ireland olympic team is a 32 county one and we have 2 associations in those 32 counties. We couldnt enter an "Ireland" team in every event and a "republic of Ireland " team in football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

:pac:

For us to qualify for the Olympics we'd need Don Givens to get us to the European U21 Championships! There's more chance in Steve Staunton winning us the World Cup to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Stekelly wrote: »
    We couldnt enter a team anyway could we? The Ireland olympic team is a 32 county one and we have 2 associations in those 32 counties. We couldnt enter an "Ireland" team in every event and a "republic of Ireland " team in football.

You might have a point!! Pretty sick that the issue has never come up due to the ineptitude of UK and Irish U21 squads down through the years. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If anybody wants to give the league a 'little boost', just go to some matches. Never mind the bleedin' Olympics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

well it was a nice idea, seems like alot of problems to it. pity. soccer at the olympics is bull**** imo. actually alot of the olympics events are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

adamski8 wrote: »
    well it was a nice idea, seems like alot of problems to it. pity. soccer at the olympics is bull**** imo. actually alot of the olympics events are.

So is that why you want to send our young LoI players out there?

which olympics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

rarnes1 wrote: »
    which olympics?

The Winter Olympics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Daysha wrote: »
    So is that why you want to send our young LoI players out there?
    ? i didnt say i did!!!!! an dont understand what you mean by that!
    like i say it was a nice idea by the op. just to give the loi players a chance to have a good experience, give the league some exposure etc.
    I, like the op, didnt know about the qualifying route or that it was an under 23 tournament (like i said i think soccer at the olympics is bull**** so dont give it much thought! this BS is highlighted by the fact you can have 3 players over this age playing! wtf is that all about!)
    Anyway screw the olympics, i get to watch lots of matches involving the under 23's in the LOI supporting the wexford youths!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Apologies Adam, my mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

We always take part in the qualifiers and don't get very far.

You have to win a group (usually 3 or 4 teams with a heavyweight) which gets you to the Uefa U23 Finals and you have to qualify for the semifinals of that competition to qualify for the Olympics (it'll prob be Top3 only this time with one of Europes 4 places being taken by the hosts).

Because the Uefa U23 comp is considered the priority we won't be putting out a weakened team comprising just LOI players (though obviously many could/should be in the team on merit).

If we did qualify for the Olympics I don't think there'd be a huge political issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

just had a thought, i know its a few years away yet, but would it not be a good idea for the fai to enter a Republic of Ireland team made up of League of Ireland players into the next olympic games in London, thats providing that the League of Ireland still exsists in 2012.

I don't think there has ever been an Irish olympic football team, so if the fai are not prepared to sent the senior squad give the chance to loi players. It can only do good for league in my opinion. At the last olympic teams such as, Argentina, Brazil, Holland and Germany all took part with all world-class players so it would be a great experience for the players and the league as a whole. For example use the under 23 team managed by Pat Fenlon which is currently made up of exclusivly League of Ireland players.

At the moment the LoI is at rock bottom, and i know that its 3 years away yet, but it surly something that I think the Fai could consider to give the league a little boost.

So what do the rest of you think?

So rather than giving our most talented mainly English based players their first taste of international football in trying to qualify for the underage Euros, we should enter poorer players because they are based in Ireland? As in, we should penalise our more talented players by not allowing them to play for their country?

This lets include a few token LOI for the senior side nonsense that gets bandied around at every Trap selection gets my goat, it really does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

But it's not token LOI players. They're players who are probably good enough for selection, the example at the minute being Brian Murphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

SantryRed wrote: »
    But it's not token LOI players. They're players who are probably good enough for selection, the example at the minute being Brian Murphy.

Well if there are players who are good enough to be selected then why is there a need to confine it solely to the LOI no offence OP but this is a redic idea, LOI needs to sort itself out first not to be swaning off to international competions where they would be so far out of their depth it would be cringeworthy, and if any one thinks the ''experience'' of getting thumped would be good for them thern i give up :rolleyes:

well obviously not everyone agrees, thats grand just wanted to get your thoughts and i see now it's not as easy as i thought to send a team to the olympics and didn't realise that it would effect the u21s. Thanks for all the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Well if there are players who are good enough to be selected then why is there a need to confine it solely to the LOI no offence OP but this is a redic idea, LOI needs to sort itself out first not to be swaning off to international competions where they would be so far out of their depth it would be cringeworthy, and if any one thinks the ''experience'' of getting thumped would be good for them thern i give up :rolleyes:

To be fair i don't think the ability of the players in the LOI should be judged by the leagues problems. There are a few players who would deserve a place on an u23 olympics side if there was one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

To be fair i don't think the ability of the players in the LOI should be judged by the leagues problems. There are a few players who would deserve a place on an u23 olympics side if there was one.

I agree with you that there are 'some' players deserving but to make it exclusive to LOI players would result in an even more sub-standard u-23 team than the one we have already

Advertisement