Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC broadband installation

Options
  • 26-08-2009 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

I'm going to get UPC Broadband but I have to work during the day and the only person who's going to be around is afraid of technology. I'm not sure I want a stranger poking around my PC and I was wondering what exactly the installation entails. I've got a digital box in a bedroom so would it just be a case of plugging something into that and that's it or will the engineer insist on setting up the computer?

Also, I have a Mac. Is that bound to cause issues if he needs to use the machine to do something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

I have a mac myself and the engineer only needs to do very basic in-browser set up of the router so that won't be an issue.

Other than that, he/she will be away from the computer 99% of the time connecting a cisco cable modem/wireless router to the wall jack.

I wouldnt worry about it really. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

they should just give you a username and password to connect to the internet. i dont think its their job to set up your computer. they didnt for me just left after plugging in the modem and connecting the tv. they just left the password and username. which was easy to connect yourself.
    Another friend the same thing happened, except when they went to connect form their computer.
    so seems like common practice they dont even make sure your laptop/computer is connected all they are there to do is install a working tv/internet connection.
    Even if they did want to use change your computer what do you really think they would do, uninstall a bunch of **** or something. if your worried about things that shouldnt be there (legal or illegal) i dont think they would care!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Board Senseless

I just don't like people touching my stuff even when I'm there, nevermind when I'm not. Anyway, it looks like I should be home when he comes so it's moot.

Good to know it's just browser stuff. Thanks a lot.

Advertisement