Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work breaks

Options
  • 26-08-2009 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

just looking for some advice- am partime worker with a 15 min break for the day.can your employer tell you how or where u spend your break as this is a bit of an issue for me at the moment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

drew1 wrote: »
    just looking for some advice- am partime worker with a 15 min break for the day.can your employer tell you how or where u spend your break as this is a bit of an issue for me at the moment

firstly how long is your work shift? For a 15 min break as an over 18 yr old its a 4 and half hour shift or a 4 hours ashift if your under 18.

It would depend on who or what you work for. If it were a cafe resturant they might not like you having your break in the main cafe area and that is their choice.

can u explain a bit more please.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I know of a few places where you weren't allowed to leave the building during 15min breaks so no cig break!

Caused war, everyone would just sneak out or volunteer to go to the post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I know of a few places where you weren't allowed to leave the building during 15min breaks so no cig break!

Caused war, everyone would just sneak out or volunteer to go to the post office.

What!?
    How could they possibly justify that? I can well imagine there being war.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

pithater1 wrote: »
    What!?

retail

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

pithater1 wrote: »
    What!?

If the break is paid, which 15's are, then they can easily justify it.

If it's unpaid, then it's your own time and you can do what you want with it.

OP, I think you need to give us some details: are you getting into trouble because you're staying somewhere that they don't want you to, or because you don't want to go somewhere specific that they want you to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    retail

Probably should've guessed. I'm guessing you're working in a shopping centre or something. Never had that issue in any of the many retail places i've worked in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

How could people object to workers having their break in the main cafe area?
    Are the management afraid that the customers might be contaminated by the presence of workers in their midst?
    I thought such snobbery went out in the Edwardian era..........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Maybe they don't want you to be seen outside the shop in uniform. If that is the case you could all agree to wear jacket over uniform. I would ring citizen information etc to find out. Also check you contract if you have one.

Advertisement