Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On-Campus Accommodation

• 26-08-2009 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Well basically I'm just opening this topic to get some feedback on what people think of the different accommodation on the campus.

I've been offered a place for River Apartments which is quite costly compared to Rye and Village but am not sure whether to go for it or chance my arm to see if I can get one of the other spots.

So far I have gathered some positives of River:

- Internet
    - Bedroom w/ Ensuite
    - Nice enough looking kitchen/dining area
    - Mixed apartments

This is going against some negatives:

- Supposed paper-thin walls (?)
    - Nearly 500 more than Rye/700 more than Village
    - Furniture looks a bit mank
    - Massive living room window on-view for everyone passing by

Is it really all it's worth for over 4,000? Anyone with any objections or views on the apartments in question?

And can anyone answer that old-age question everyone has been asking - are the River Apartments walls really that paper-thin?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

col89 wrote: »
    And can anyone answer that old-age question everyone has been asking - are the River Apartments walls really that paper-thin?

Depends on the.....nature of the noise. Are you talking music, TV, instruments or otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭col89

efla wrote: »
    Depends on the.....nature of the noise. Are you talking music, TV, instruments or otherwise

All of the above and maybe talking... and other things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

The furniture is pretty much the same in all of the them and same goes for the kitchen window on show thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

was up there the other day and rye hall just looks disgusting from the outside anyway. I would get seriously depressed living there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Woah woah woah......River are mixed appartments? :eek:
    Why didn't someone tell me this before I chose Village!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

col89 wrote: »

Yes they are. My boyfriend's lived in River for the last two years and yes. :o

Also the furniture is uncomfortable, but a couple of cans later and it's like sleeping on clouds. In all fairness, if you want a couch like at home, you can buy one and move it in. Seen people reclining on lovely looking couches. Beds are grand though, just the couches are shíte

The huge windows are great for people watching and people meeting and people oogling (Kazuma is aware of what I mean ;)) and they have blinds so don't worry about that.

I've been in all three of the apts and would pick river hands down over the rest, they're just nicer. Unless you end up living with complete scumbag hippy fag bastards who leave they're spliff ashes in bowls and leave beer spilt on the ground for months and have stupid hippy fag friends over and NEVER CLEAN THE KITCHEN :mad:

but generally they're grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭col89

Hmmm, I think I will give it the go for the first semester and see how it goes in that case. There seems to be more advantages for River's than disadvantages.

I'm assuming that we don't have to send out payment for the second semester until it gets closer to the end of the first one, so it gives people like me the chance to do a runner if things don't run so smoothly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

After living on campus (River apartments) and houses, I have to say that the cost of the River apartments isn't worth it. Ok its great having an ensuite in your room and superfast internet (not wifi btw!) but living in a house is so much cheaper and you generally get way nicer couches which I think makes a place.

The problem with the apartments is that your room is the nicest place so nobody really hangs out in the living area, so unless you're living with (usually super friendly) first years its not great for coming home too, it can get a bit lonely and isolated.

One massive tip if you decide to go with them anyway! Don't just leave the heating and water on the timer, figure out how to reset it or turn the timer off completely and use it only when needed. We left the timer on default and spent €200 each on gas (thats €1k per apartment!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭LittleKitty

I lived in village for a year, i dont know what the stigma is really, it does the job, its near my leactures.
    Its cheaper then river, your internet is wireless, so you can sit quite happily in bed and watch family guy at 4am. You have washing machiens in your block, so no carting stuff over and back to residentce office. People use keys, not bist of plastic. If your on the top floor, you can smoke out the window and nobody will say anything.

only problems i had with village was that if your locked out past 5pm, there is nobody to help you. Mary and Phil in the office dont work past that time, so its near impossible to get into the block.
    Although I beleive that has changed now.

I dont get why people get obsessed with having there own en-suite. The amout of people I know who refuse to take rooms in houses coz they dont get en-suites, like they did on campus, or refuse to live in village becouse you have to share a bathroom is unreal.

Yeh, people get a bit obsessed about having en suites. Its such a luxury! No worries about nakedness or waking up dieing for a pee and having to find something to put on. Still there's no need really. Village is grand and better value.

Just on the key thing, they've changed them to plasticv
    keys this year afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 clairemm

i'm moving into one of the river apartments next month and that's the first i've heard about the paper-thin walls.. is it really that bad? like i don't want to have to creep around the place to avoid angry roars through the floorboards.. :confused:

I didn't think they were that bad to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Xqzciara

im moving into village apts soon, can any1 tell me advantages and disadvantages??
    not that its gonna stop me, im dyin to move!!:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Yes they are. My boyfriend's lived in River for the last two years and yes. :o

Also the furniture is uncomfortable, but a couple of cans later and it's like sleeping on clouds. In all fairness, if you want a couch like at home, you can buy one and move it in. Seen people reclining on lovely looking couches. Beds are grand though, just the couches are shíte

The huge windows are great for people watching and people meeting and people oogling (Kazuma is aware of what I mean ;)) and they have blinds so don't worry about that.

I've been in all three of the apts and would pick river hands down over the rest, they're just nicer. Unless you end up living with complete scumbag hippy fag bastards who leave they're spliff ashes in bowls and leave beer spilt on the ground for months and have stupid hippy fag friends over and NEVER CLEAN THE KITCHEN :mad:

but generally they're grand.

Walls in village are so so so much worse than River!
    But yes, massive windows makes for lots of fun trying to creep people out (and if you're on the ground floor, food delivery through the windows - excellent).

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Beau wrote: »
    After living on campus (River apartments) and houses, I have to say that the cost of the River apartments isn't worth it. Ok its great having an ensuite in your room and superfast internet (not wifi btw!) but living in a house is so much cheaper and you generally get way nicer couches which I think makes a place.

The problem with the apartments is that your room is the nicest place so nobody really hangs out in the living area, so unless you're living with (usually super friendly) first years its not great for coming home too, it can get a bit lonely and isolated.

One massive tip if you decide to go with them anyway! Don't just leave the heating and water on the timer, figure out how to reset it or turn the timer off completely and use it only when needed. We left the timer on default and spent €200 each on gas (thats €1k per apartment!).
    Beau, for two years the only thing we did with the timer was set it to heat the water 24/7, and we ended up paying the same amount as you.
    And permanent hot water is a serious +1.
    Oh, and **** fast internet in river, if you're into downloading big files, I used to get 80Mb/s in my old river appartment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭xochillixo

at the end of the day lads as long as ur having craic thats all that matters!!! id much rather b living with sound people then having my own bathroom!!

bring on village!

Advice please....

I got an email saying I got village accomm but received invoice payments for river accomm. Now I rang the residence office on friday and wasn't called back on monday like she said and I rang today and wasn't called back by 5pm like he said!

Anyway, the deadline date for the deposit is today but if I pay online it means I'll be going for river and I don't have the payment details for village??? I don't know what to do at all now......If I don't pay it and ring tomorrow do you think I'd still get my campus accomm??

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Xqzciara

K4t wrote: »
    Advice please....

I got an email saying I got village accomm but received invoice payments for river accomm. Now I rang the residence office on friday and wasn't called back on monday like she said and I rang today and wasn't called back by 5pm like he said!

Anyway, the deadline date for the deposit is today but if I pay online it means I'll be going for river and I don't have the payment details for village??? I don't know what to do at all now......If I don't pay it and ring tomorrow do you think I'd still get my campus accomm??

wat happened, wat apartments did u end up getting?

Xqzciara wrote: »
    wat happened, wat apartments did u end up getting?
    Ah I was up there today and called into the residence office and sorted it out. Apparently things got mixed up because someone who was a smoker forgot to tick it on the application form and then I got moved as I'd have been living with them. (I have asthma and am trying to stay alive as long as I can :pac:) I have a room definitely in Village but don't know where yet.....

Xqzciara wrote: »
    im moving into village apts soon, can any1 tell me advantages and disadvantages??
    not that its gonna stop me, im dyin to move!!:pac::pac:
    The bedrooms are very small but you still have your desk and cuphoard for storing clothes etc. The communal room is a decent size with a table, kitchen area and then a few other chairs for relaxing. There's no tv in the communal rooms as far as I could see. I think the word I'm looking for is 'cosy'! They were clean at least!

• Advertisement

there are tvs in the kitchen/living areas!! i was up in 1 last year and there were tvs with extra channels!!

xochillixo wrote: »
    there are tvs in the kitchen/living areas!! i was up in 1 last year and there were tvs with extra channels!!
    Oh really, I didn't see any?! Maybe they brought their own tv :pac:

In the village apartments the TV isn't included. You can rent a TV though of this campus dude for a very small fee (he rents DVD players a DVD's aswell afaik), you'll see the posters and leaflets when you move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

was up there the other day and rye hall just looks disgusting from the outside anyway. I would get seriously depressed living there

I'm in Rye :(
    went up the other day to have a look through the windows and it is so depressing... oh we,, my boyfriend is in river so il just hang out there

In the village apartments the TV isn't included. You can rent a TV though of this campus dude for a very small fee (he rents DVD players a DVD's aswell afaik), you'll see the posters and leaflets when you move in.
    Or bring up a tv yourself???

you know how much it is to rent one for the year?? i have to have my bowl of cornflakes infront of doctor phil!!!

K4t wrote: »
    Or bring up a tv yourself???

Yeh sure.

Sorry I'm not sure ow much it costs, maybe a tenner a month per apartment.

Advertisement