Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which School in Cork for Repeating

Options
  • 26-08-2009 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi I recently completed a degree in UCC and am considering repeating my leaving in Cork in either Bruce or Hewitt... Just looking for past students opinions on which one to go too.. Also whats the story with parking do they provide it and how much is it? Any other info appreciated too

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I'm going intoo LC this eyar in Bruce((After doing 5th year there aswell)),And from what 've ehard Hewit isnt that great when it comes to the classes but Bruce will actually drag your soul from your heart :pac:.

I have to admit while I hate the place it does have na excellent study facility.However dont read the brochure as its mostly bull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sunnyevvo

thanks for your reply.. Doyou know if there is a charge for parking? it all as u lol.... Im worried that im taking on alot maybe

Bikes and such only,no student parking for cars.Some students do park on the hill but you'll often see them clamped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ncobrien86

hey there...

i didn't repeat my leaving, but my sister did and i have a few friends who did. My friend went to hewitt and got her place, but only barely!!

My sister went to a different college, it's called Mel College and it's on South Terrace. She loved it.. the teachers and staff were all brilliant, and really supportive. she passed with flying colours and got her place in college. I think the reason she loved it so much was because it was totally focused on getting you where you want to go - they don't just look for the high achievers, but get you into the place you want. They also have smaller classes which means you get more personal attention.

Take a look online, www.melcollege.com, or if you wanted to chat to someone the school administrator Eithne is a real mammy hen!! She's great and will let you know what's best for you.

as regards parking, im not sure. I know that there is a private carpark behind the school but dont know if students are allowed to park there...

I hope this helps!! Let me know how you get on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

I hate the advertisements they have on the papers advertising that they are x% better than the national average. The majority of people attending are getting extra tuition, paid for by their parents. There are no children from lower socio-economic backgrounds in these schools as they can't afford it. Many of the students have the benefit of doing Leaving Cert for the second time and are aiming for places in courses that demand high points - that's why they are paying to repeat. Rant over.They say Bruce is good but proceed with caution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

Depends more on the student and how motivated he/she is.

ncobrien86 thats completly bull...

Mell Colledge is a brand new school!

I'm honestly sick of the moeny drive by the private leavign schools in Cork..its litrally a money drive.They care about the high achievers only as they place their results in the paper and such for advertisments...

Hewit is ment to be more fun,but apparently the classes there are packed and a joke(Thats why so many move too Bruce from there)) and Bruce,well allot of the teachers are super either,The French,Spanish and English teachers there are incredibly bad,the spanish teacher whos also the VP is extremly bad,I have so many things to say that I dont know where to begin!

What I also find bull i that there is no student Councilors,Seriosuly the amount of times I wante dto go too one in Bruce is unbelievable!!!If you have anyproblem you have to go too the principal...whos not even a teacher,he's a business man(That being said he's both a ledgend and terrifying *L*)

But Mel,I've heard rumours that it is owned by the same person as hewit,and after I've read the post made above,I've lost all respect,Shamless adversting.

But even after all bad I said,and not to sound biased because I go there,but Bruce is the best of the lot.The free grinds are great,the after school study is excellent and many of the teachers do have high qulifications...But the starting time is a bitch lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

Seloth wrote: »
    ncobrien86 thats completly bull...

Mell Colledge is a brand new school!

I'm honestly sick of the moeny drive by the private leavign schools in Cork..its litrally a money drive.They care about the high achievers only as they place their results in the paper and such for advertisments...

Hewit is ment to be more fun,but apparently the classes there are packed and a joke(Thats why so many move too Bruce from there)) and Bruce,well allot of the teachers are super either,The French,Spanish and English teachers there are incredibly bad,the spanish teacher whos also the VP is extremly bad,I have so many things to say that I dont know where to begin!

What I also find bull i that there is no student Councilors,Seriosuly the amount of times I wante dto go too one in Bruce is unbelievable!!!If you have anyproblem you have to go too the principal...whos not even a teacher,he's a business man(That being said he's both a ledgend and terrifying *L*)

But Mel,I've heard rumours that it is owned by the same person as hewit,and after I've read the post made above,I've lost all respect,Shamless adversting.

But even after all bad I said,and not to sound biased because I go there,but Bruce is the best of the lot.The free grinds are great,the after school study is excellent and many of the teachers do have high qulifications...But the starting time is a bitch lol
    Cork Leaving CertMel College is a joke, how many thousand a year were ppl paying them?
    and they still managed to go broke, i mean come on like, ridiculous imo,
    OP try Griffith maybe?

Some people do get allot of adnvtage out of them,Like in all fairness the course I want to do its around 350 points,but I couldnt get that if I stayed in my old school.

And allot of people who go too these schools aim for medicine so if I couldnt get that much in a normal schoo,what hope is there for someone who wants to get 550+

Griffith is a private 3rd lvl aint it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 plinkyplanky

I think your subject choices make a big difference when choosing between schools really...
    I went to Hewitt, and was really happy with the teaching, in french, chemistry, english and biology especially. (physics on the other hand...)
    Actually, if you're doing french, just go to hewitt - the principal, Trish, is the french teacher and is the best teacher i ever had in any subject.
    Be prepared to work really hard though...

You should probly meet with both principals, and get a feel for which school would suit you better. That was my plan, but i never actually made it as far as bruce, i was pretty happy with hewitt straight away.

and if you're serious about repeating... don't go to mel college...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

Seloth wrote: »
    Some people do get allot of adnvtage out of them,Like in all fairness the course I want to do its around 350 points,but I couldnt get that if I stayed in my old school.

And allot of people who go too these schools aim for medicine so if I couldnt get that much in a normal schoo,what hope is there for someone who wants to get 550+

Griffith is a private 3rd lvl aint it :p

think i meant college of comm sorry,

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Great advice Plinkyplanky.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

It would be interesting to see how the results compare but it's not a level playing field as many in certain schools are getting additional grinds outside of the fee paying schools and doing additional subjects too.

Advertisement