Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pompeii by Robert Harris

Options
  • 26-08-2009 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Just finished this book, I give it 10 out of 10. An excellent read. Has anybody read any other books by this author and would you recommend them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I quite liked Fatherland, though it's 15 years since I read it. I'd throw in the wikipedia link but it includes the entire plot of the novel so you might prefer if I didn't. Thriller murder mystery of sorts set in Nazi Germany in 1964 (it's an alternate history[1] novel where Germany won WW2)

[1] I prefer "alternative history" for obvious reasons but "alternate history" is apparently both the preferred and earlier term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭zesman

Read Fatherland which I really liked. Wonderful concept really well done. In contrast I thought Archangel was at best mediocre

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I loved Pompeii too, I visited Pompeii and nearby Herculaneum (Ercolona) itself before reading the book and the book took me back there :)

If you like that then you will probably love Imperium. It's a political thriller set in ancient Rome, narrated by a slave who is owned by a politician. Excellent read!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Always enjoy Harris' stuff.

Pompei and Imperium were good reads. Good to get some insight into Roman times while enjoying a yarn.

Fatherland remains the best, and I was very disappointed with "The Ghost".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Lovely! I really enjoyed Imperium am going to get Pompeii (don't know how I missed that one). Fatherland was a bit hit and miss for me, but it was a long time ago when I read it so may be worth a re-read.

• Advertisement

Weird, Fatherland is his most well known work and I've had it sitting on my shelf for a couple of years and never read it. :D I'll put it right to the top of my TBR list.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

What I meant to add to the above was that, without going into details, the ending of Fatherland was a bit abrupt for me. Obviously I understood the ending:) but it was a bit "finished now so I am, I'll just wrap this up fast". but it was interesting. I suspect, never having read another book by him, that some of his more recent books may well be better written - very few thrillers veer towards high class literature - but it was well-worth reading I thought.

sceptre wrote: »
    very few thrillers veer towards high class literature...

Agreed, to my mind Imperium bridges that gap significantly, it's not quite there but it's very close! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Loved Pompeii too. Imperium would be the obvious next recommendation. Also if you haven't done so already why not watch series 1 and 2 of HBO's/BBC's Rome, plenty of Ancient Roman political intrigue and backstabbing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

I've read all of his books. Fatherland is the best by far. Pompeii is good too. There was talk of Roman Polanski making Pompeii into a movie but i think that isn't happening now. Everything else i was disappointed in. The Ghost was the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Loved Imperium - one of my favourite books in the past 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Iv read all of his books except for fatherland !!!!
    For me Imperium really is a brilliant read one of my favourite books ever...

Advertisement