Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bmw 318i info

• 26-08-2009 8:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, was thinking about changing my car in the new year, ideally I'd like a 03/04 320d, but none of these seem to be within my budget (~€8k) that haven't got huge miles on them.

Now, I was passing a local garage the other day and they have a nice 03 318i se 2.0 with Mtec kit and only 55k miles for €7900, and it seems a few garages have similar examples for similar money. I have a 98 TDI passat with 112k on it and i would consider it reasonable to get an 03 318i for €5.5k or less with my own.

Now my main question is this. Can any owners of a 318i with the 2.0 engine give me some info on what kind of MPG they get and how they find the car in general? Just want to get some real world figures. I just need to do my sums on cost to change, fuel and tax costs etc as I will be doing 300+ miles a week.

I'm in no panic to get rid of my own car, its served me well for the last 50k miles so am just patiently eying up some new options once I have some cash saved.

By the way I'm 23, so please don't tell me that its slow and to get a 6 cylinder because I just can't insure one yet for anything close to sane cash. Its 140bhp and considerably faster than my current car, and I plan on getting a nice 08 330d after that ;)

Reasons I want a BMW are: I have driven a couple and I like them, like the E46 shape, build quality and interior and I think the Mtec versions are the dogs danglies, so please don't tell me I'm buying a paddy spec version for the badge.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm confused. Are you expecting a trade-in price of €2400 or more for your '98 Passat TDI ? Not gonna happen in a million years. Trade would give you less than €1500 for it, and selling it privately would only net maybe €1600.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Nah I wouldn't expect that for it, I was thinking it'd be worth around €1.5k alright but I would plan on haggling etc, I didn't say I would trade it against that particular one, I just said I think it'd be reasonable to get one for 5.5k somewhere with my own :)

Any info on the 318i then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

I have a '02 318 for over a year now and I love it to bits. It averages 30-35mpg on the computer but i do alot of city/traffic driving. I did get to Dublin and back for €30 once. Depends on how you drive it.

Great car, comfortable, solid and more than enough power;)

CoDy1 wrote: »
    I have a '02 318 for over a year now and I love it to bits. It averages 30-35mpg on the computer but i do alot of city/traffic driving. I did get to Dublin and back for €30 once. Depends on how you drive it.

Great car, comfortable, solid and more than enough power;)

Cheers, thats the kind of info I want, is yours the 1.9 118bhp or the 2.0 140bhp?

By my rough calculations thats 42ish mpg to Dublin for you from Limerick?
    I'll be mostly driving on N roads, my commute is north Kilkenny to Carlow so that would be great if I could realistically see that kind of economy.

Where are all the petrol fans to get me away from my diesel!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

think about it this way.

It's not gonna kill you fuel-wise.

I don't have the exact same, I have the e36 318is (143bhp M44 engine). Arguably same fuel economy. I easily drive from Kilkenny city to Dublin city and back to carlow on 20 euro. Your fuel economy will never be as good as the passat, but you are getting a better car. Drive it, and enjoy yourself!

• Advertisement

Mine is the 2.0L 140bhp. The 318 came with the 1.9l until late '01. The facelifted 3series 318 came with the 2.0l from then on.

ottostreet wrote: »
    think about it this way.

It's not gonna kill you fuel-wise.

I don't have the exact same, I have the e36 318is (143bhp M44 engine). Arguably same fuel economy. I easily drive from Kilkenny city to Dublin city and back to carlow on 20 euro. Your fuel economy will never be as good as the passat, but you are getting a better car. Drive it, and enjoy yourself!

Yup I'm thinking the cost to go to diesel is not worth it for the premium and more than likely lower spec and higher miles. As long as i get 40+ I'd be happy!
    Mine is the 2.0L 140bhp. The 318 came with the 1.9l until late '01. The facelifted 3series 318 came with the 2.0l from then on.
    Thanks for that, thats good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

Hi there op
    I've owned the 140bhp 2.0 model for about 17 months now and cant really fault it. I'd average about 30 to 38mpg (have a habit of driving her like I stole her from time to time!!)and also do a lot of city driving, but have gotten more from it in the past. Plenty of power for overtaking and great handling, a pleasure to drive.
    The only downsides can be servicing costs and moreso parts from main dealers but I've got a mate who's a BMW mechanic so that saves me a few quid !!:D

PaulKK wrote: »
    Yup I'm thinking the cost to go to diesel is not worth it for the premium and more than likely lower spec and higher miles. As long as i get 40+ I'd be happy!

don't think you'll get 40+ without being a careful little driver, but i average between 35-40, and im not the slowest driver in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Confab wrote: »
    I'm confused. Are you expecting a trade-in price of €2400 or more for your '98 Passat TDI ? Not gonna happen in a million years. Trade would give you less than €1500 for it, and selling it privately would only net maybe €1600.
    It depends to a large extent on the pricing of the BMW. For example, if the seller were prepared to accept €6900 for the BMW priced at €7900 then they could give €2400 for the Passat and trade it out for €1400.

• Advertisement

rosser44 wrote: »
    Hi there op

The only downsides can be servicing costs and moreso parts from main dealers but I've got a mate who's a BMW mechanic so that saves me a few quid !!:D

Ah I wouldn't be worried about that too much, I'd prob service it myself (oil and sparks) and get it checked over now and then with my local mechanic, he's handy with BMWs. Thanks for the feedback!
    ottostreet wrote: »
    don't think you'll get 40+ without being a careful little driver, but i average between 35-40, and im not the slowest driver in the world.

I've no problem being careful now and then when I'm only going to work, I've had 58mpg out of the passat, but I do like to give it a blast now and again. Thanks for the info though.
    Anan1 wrote: »
    It depends to a large extent on the pricing of the BMW. For example, if the seller were prepared to accept €6900 for the BMW priced at €7900 then they could give €2400 for the Passat and trade it out for €1400.

Thats the kind of situation I was alluding to in the op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Do you only get 140bhp's from a 2L 3 series? Whats the 0-60?

Bluefoam wrote: »

Think its 141bhp and 0-60 in 9.3s apparently. (Wikipedia, not nesscessarily fact)

Only? compared to what? its a mid size executive saloon.

a simlar engined A4 comes in at 130bhp

a similar engined C class comes in at 134bhp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Only? compared to what? its a mid size executive saloon.

a simlar engined A4 comes in at 130bhp

a similar engined C class comes in at 134bhp.

Not executive by status but these had more around that era:

Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 litre - 165bhp
    Honda Accord 2.0 litre - 154bhp

What does the current 3 series 1.8 or 2.0L produce?

What does the current 3 series 1.8 or 2.0L produce?

AFAIK 141bhp for the 318i and 148bhp for the 320i

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

320i = 170bhp

AFAIK 141bhp for the 318i and 148bhp for the 320i

Does 318i mean 1.8l & 320i mean 2.0l etc?

It generally (but not always) used to, now it sometimes does.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    It generally (but not always) used to, now it sometimes does.

I'll take that as a no! ;)

I'll take that as a no! ;)
    ish.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Current line up is

318i - 1995cc - 143BHP
    320i - 1995cc - 170bhp
    325i - 2996cc - 218bhp
    330i - 2996cc - 272bhp
    335i - 2996cc - 306bhp

The (thankfully) discontinued 316i in the E90 was a 1.6 litre engine.

Another quick question about these lads, do they have a timing belt or a chain and whats the interval on them? 60K or so?

timing chain on them.

Advertisement