Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everything deleted off computer!!

• 26-08-2009 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Can Anyone please help??

My nephew got his hands on my computer and accidentely rebooted my computer (its as if i have a brand new computer in front of me!!)

I have a lot of college work on there that has been lost that i will need in the coming weeks for a project i have due!!

Does anyone know if there is any way of undoing what has been done?? Or getting the files back that i have lost??

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dave D

Do you mean he formatted it? Is the operating system still on it Eg. windows or linux?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Timistry

How do you mean rebooted. did he just log in as another user?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

Dave D wrote: »
    Do you mean he formatted it? Is the operating system still on it Eg. windows or linux?

I've a fairly basic knowledge of computers, apologies if i dont use the proper names for things!!

Yeah windows is still on it but whatever he did it went back to as if i had a new computer!! When i turned it on i had to put in all the time settings and default languages (like i did when i 1st got the computer)!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Is there a My Computer icon on the desktop? Click on that and then click C: ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dave D

Try Recuva Its a program that designed to recover deleted files and such.

• Advertisement

Is there a My Computer icon on the desktop? Click on that and then click C: ?

yeah done that!!

had a look through the folders there's noting in them except sample music and sample pictures, every other folder is empty??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Kettle316 wrote: »
    yeah done that!!

had a look through the folders there's noting in them except sample music and sample pictures, every other folder is empty??
    When the computer starts up is there a number of different users to select from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

Try asking him what he did... It's not exactly simple to wipe a hard drive. You'd need to use a windows install cd. The most important part now is not to use the pc. Get onto this site via friends computers, internet cafe or a library. Usually with a quick format what happens is basicly the index file is overwritten but the files still stay there. Any new files just go straight over the unindexed ones though. That could be as simple as the pictures that pop up on a website that are temporarily downloaded to your pc. So as i said use your pc as little as possible.

Download a file recovery program to a usb stick or cd and run it on your computer to try recover the files. If you know someone computer savvy get them to take your hard drive and put it into their pc. That'll decrease the risk of overwriting your files even more.

Here's one that i use http://www.snapfiles.com/get/filescavenger.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

It sounds to me he entered the recovery partition and restored back to factory/day one :(

What age is he? - I doubt you could do something like this accidently.

Webmonkey wrote: »
    It sounds to me he entered the recovery partition and restored back to factory/day one :(

:eek:

• Advertisement

When the computer starts up is there a number of different users to select from?

There was my account and then there was a guest account but when i turned the computer on just there i didnt have to log into either of them it just went straight to the desktop screen??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

click on start button. What account is there for logoff? Go to settings/control panel/user accounts. Is your account still there?

He's 11!!

He said he pressed a button when the computer was starting up (it was 1 of the f buttons, he thinks it was f10 or f11) the computer went into some sort of loading process that he couldnt get out of!! (Again apologies if i haven't made it very clear)

Anyone have an idea of what he did??

Yep my theories are correct unfort. Your computer sounds like he entered the recovery parition. There should have being a big "Are you sure" but he probably clicked yes. It sounds like there's no going back to me unfort.

Yep my theories are correct unfort. Your computer sounds like it has being restored to factory settings :(

The files are gone then are they??

No way of getting them back??

I don't think so sorry :(

That was very unlucky. I hate to say it, but you should always back up things (email it to yourself etc).

I don't think so sorry :(

That was very unlucky. I hate to say it, but you should always back up things (email it to yourself etc).

Yeah yeah i just learned that lesson the hard way ha ha ha!! :D

Ah well sure its no the end of the world!!

Thanks very much for all the help lads i appreciate it!!

No probs, best of luck.

Strangely enough, that restore thing does take time, it doesn't happen in a matter of seconds. Could take 30 minutes. Did he leave it run for this long.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Kettle316 wrote: »
    The files are gone then are they??

No way of getting them back??
    as posted earlier download recuva install it and scan the c drive it will find the files you are looking for you need to recover them to another disk cd dvd or usb

mp22 wrote: »
    as posted earlier download recuva install it and scan the c drive it will find the files you are looking for you need to recover them to another disk cd dvd or usb
    Yeah worth a go anyways. With a bit of luck, the area where your files once sat, did not get over written by the restore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I always strongly advise keeping important **** off the System Drive. But yeah, thats ****in harsh.

The files may be recoverable using a physical scanning utility. But be advised, the process could take days and the files you recover may not be named or sorted - the program will pick up an image file, and store it in an output folder and call it jpeg1. And it keeps going like that.

I cant remember who suggested that option to me. let me search for the thread. .....

Thread is here

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055447853

I passed on the option. The files werent that important as far as i was concerned. They were videos of my brother's dog when she was a pup, but, tbh, it wasnt worth tying up my system for the better half of a week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

get an external hard drive beg/borrow/steal

install as little as possible to prevent space being overwritten

use photorec to restore deleted files to it www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

then when finished search for keywords that were in your files

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Is this for real - he's 11

if he really reformatted your pc to fresh install in quick time then he's already employable - ive seen IT support take a full day to do the same thing

sounds like you just logged back in under an alternative profile

Advertisement