Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Beachcaster and Reel

Options
  • 26-08-2009 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

I am looking at buy a new Rod and Reel and just wondering what people's suggestions and advice are. It will be for shore fishing Bass,Doggies etc. Price wise I am thinking of spending a few hundred want something nice.

Anybody using a combo of rod and reel that works great ??
    Currently using a Meteor rod and standard enough Abu reel (fixed).

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Do you want to stay with the fixed spool, or go for a multiplier setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

coolwings wrote: »
    Do you want to stay with the fixed spool, or go for a multiplier setup?

I am not sure what to do on that front, what do you suggest ?? I have always had a fixed spool !!

I prefer a multiplier for beachcasting, but they are better with mono with a little stretch in it.
    For non stretch braided lines a fixed spool is better .. less tangles.
    The price of braid and filling spools convinced me in no time at all! But a second reason that I took account of is the much lower weight and compactness of multipliers for packing and carrying.
    It is a new skill to learn and takes a few sessions to get the hang of it.

If you go fixed spool, get a longer rod. A multiplier is more flexible rod-wise imo.
    As it happens I'm getting a new setup for myself right now.

Several rod/reels are possible, but I'm looking closest at the Daiwa Supercast STS13PM with either a ABU6500 CT Mag High Speed, or a Daiwa 7HT Mag for a 300 spend. Both top shelf high speed reels I admit. That rod is tremendous performance for the price.

You might look at a Daiwa Sandstorm and a 6500C3 to get the important bits without pushing the cost up too far. Learn with the levelwind to smooth out the line lay, then simply remove it to make the reel into a CT which will cast further.

Don't buy a tip/fast action long distance rod for learning multipliers with. You need parabolic, or medium fast (for better distance) when you're getting started.

coolwings wrote: »
    I prefer a multiplier for beachcasting, but they are better with mono with a little stretch in it.
    For non stretch braided lines a fixed spool is better .. less tangles.
    The price of braid and filling spools convinced me in no time at all! But a second reason that I took account of is the much lower weight and compactness of multipliers for packing and carrying.
    It is a new skill to learn and takes a few sessions to get the hang of it.

If you go fixed spool, get a longer rod. A multiplier is more flexible rod-wise imo.
    As it happens I'm getting a new setup for myself right now.

Several rod/reels are possible, but I'm looking closest at the Daiwa Supercast STS13PM with either a ABU6500 CT Mag High Speed, or a Daiwa 7HT Mag for a 300 spend. Both top shelf high speed reels I admit. That rod is tremendous performance for the price.

You might look at a Daiwa Sandstorm and a 6500C3 to get the important bits without pushing the cost up too far. Learn with the levelwind to smooth out the line lay, then simply remove it to make the reel into a CT which will cast further.

Don't buy a tip/fast action long distance rod for learning multipliers with. You need parabolic, or medium fast (for better distance) when you're getting started.

Thanks for the advice I have a dilemma now which I guess is a good thing!!
    I had already been looking at the Daiwa rods funny enough, The reel I guess was the stumbling block for me. Can I ask what all the fuss is about on the Zziplex rods ??

They are better. But they cost more too! So I guess you have to ask are you are Mercedes Benz driver? I like to keep excess funds for my use, or for the other items.

Century and Conoflex are maybe slightly below Zziplex, but also "up there".

Daiwa have a range which reaches down overlapping the level of other makes like AFAW, Sonik, ABU, Shakespeare but also up higher overlapping with Century and Conoflex (for the top Daiwa rods). I have a good respect for the prices Daiwa offer these particular better rods for, and suggest imo they are punching E50-E70 over their weight in this area. That's why I focused on a Daiwa for myself ... I'm using multipliers for 30 years but don't practise casting on the track and field so I'm at a certain level that comes with practise, but not athletic type dedicated practise, and I'm happy with that.

Remember skill and ability is 90% of it all provided the gear is over a certain minimum specification, that's the spec that can do all you can do now and what you will grow into in next 36 months, going over that is buying for the future but something better may be invented before that day arrives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Plenty of choice out there. Zzippys are the business - where ya think I picked my username?!! :D But they're mad expensive, I'd hold off on one til you really know what you're at and exactly what you want a rod to do.
    For doggies and bass you don't need to go too heavy, for a bit of sport I'd recommend the Greys BZE 3-5oz, great rod, really light, perfect for those species if you don't need a lot of distance. A light Abu 6500 goes perfectly with that rod, prob cost ya bout 200-250 all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

really depends on where your fishing , and where you will be fishing , zzippys are great if you can use them but 99 percent of em are over gunned for bass and doggies, unless of course your fishing really rough ground,
    and also depends on your budget, if your looking for a decent rod at a good price have a look at the shakespear salt range these rods really surprised me when i tried the fs beachcaster,
    also if your going fixedspool have a look at grauvelle they got some really nice beachcasters and can cover almost every budget right up to 1000 euro just for the rod,

daiwa are really nice to fish with and the 7ht mag is amazing, you can reach over 200 yards straight from the box (with a good technique of course) but it can be done

try get to a local club and try out a few rods,
    were are you based?

dbrock wrote: »
    really depends on where your fishing , and where you will be fishing , zzippys are great if you can use them but 99 percent of em are over gunned for bass and doggies, unless of course your fishing really rough ground,
    and also depends on your budget, if your looking for a decent rod at a good price have a look at the shakespear salt range these rods really surprised me when i tried the fs beachcaster,
    also if your going fixedspool have a look at grauvelle they got some really nice beachcasters and can cover almost every budget right up to 1000 euro just for the rod,

daiwa are really nice to fish with and the 7ht mag is amazing, you can reach over 200 yards straight from the box (with a good technique of course) but it can be done

try get to a local club and try out a few rods,
    where are you based?

Hi DBrock thanks for reply

I am based in Wicklow Town ( across the road from you actually ha ha) sorry sound like a stalker promise I aint !!! and most of my fishing will be along the east coast etc, My main fishing is Bass, Doggies etc as you have mentioned, that was kinda the reason I asked about the Zzippys just wondered if it would be a waste of my money or not. I like to spend good money up front and get something that with last as opposed to chopping and changing !!

I was also hoping to get involved with the East Coast Raiders, My bro joined last week and was talking to you !! As mentioned previous I am using an Abu Garcia Meteor rod at minute and a reasonable fixed spool reel so kind of unsure how much a multi will help etc !!

Thanks for your advice and help so far !!

Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

ha ha ,
    give me a shout and we will go down to the beach with a few dif rods and reels for you to try then so, at least then you will get a feel of what you like ,
    :)

dbrock wrote: »
    ha ha ,
    give me a shout and we will go down to the beach with a few dif rods and reels for you to try then so, at least then you will get a feel of what you like ,
    :)

I am taking it by that response you know who I am also ha !!
    Was out tonight in Brittas was perfect for it !!

Going to go out maybe Sunday with the Bro if your around your more than welcome to join us (show us how its done) ha ha

• Advertisement
Advertisement