Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chemical Brother songs using other artists hooks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Most, if not all, producers sample, cover and copy other works and it always amazes me how many people are so shocked about this.

This is not directed at OP but just a general observation.

Fair play for spotting the second one, didn't know that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

after a quick search, found that the chemical brothers bass hook in block rockin beats also appears in another Beastie Boys track that was released in pauls boutique (before check your head)

listen from 7:21 to hear it

apparently to "original" track is Crusaders - The Wells Gone Dry
    but who can really say where it originates from..

i'm not shocked at all :) but find it interesting to know where samples come from, the original artist(s)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

Check out Radio 1 mix by the chemicals" Anti-Nazi Mix" its full of samples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Wait a minute... you mean people use SAMPLES in DANCE MUSIC???

I'm SHOCKED and OUTRAGED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

it's one thing to use samples in a song, it's quite another issue to completely rip off someone elses ideas and take full credit for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Martyr wrote: »
    it's one thing to use samples in a song, it's quite another issue to completely rip off someone elses ideas and take full credit for it.

have you checked to see if they gave sample credit to the "original" creator on there album.

im sure youve checked out daft punk too.

bottom line is there using it in a way that wasnt thought of before and if it sounds great well thats a nice bonus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

There was a thread about daft punk on this forum ages ago, I think it linked to a palms out sounds blog which listed all of the songs that daft punk have copied/ripped off/sampled
    Made for some quite interesting listening

/edit
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055054981

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

i have loads of vinyl that rip off old disco grooves with no credit given to the original artist.

big deal,whats to be outraged about.its common practice in dance music to do this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

James Brown was always p1ssed that his music was sampled by so many Hip Hop artists and never received any royalties or credit. It's not a new thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

It's nice to know though. I remember when Daft Punk's "Discovery" came out I was thinking, fcuk that part is so good, how did they come up with that and loads of respect for them etc.
    Then I saw that article about the original sources and the fact that they took the original bits wholesale so they didn't come up with the clever bits at all.
    It didn't change the fact that Daft Punk have released some great music but in may cases they didn't come up with the hooks. I've no problem with it at all but I personally do like to know where it came from especially if it's so blatant, as is the the case with Daft Punk.
    Massive Attack and countless others have done the same.
    Palms Out link is here:
    http://palmsout.blogspot.com/2007/02/sample-wednesday-27-daft-punk.html#

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Pretty much all of my favourite tunes are literally just collages of about five or six other tunes and maybe a bit of a movie mashed up with the drums from about three or four other tunes...

Sampling things that other people have already sampled is a no-no in my eyes, and sampling something from within the same sort of genre you're making is even more of a no-no, but other than that I don't see the problem at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

The Chems are ridiculously overhyped anyway. Another example of a band who were there at the start who people consider great because they're pioneers of the scene. A few great tunes aside, I don't rate them. Especially not as Dj's. And their recent productions, has anyone listened to Salmon Dance? MUCK.

FLYNN-DOG wrote: »
    The Chems are ridiculously overhyped anyway. Another example of a band who were there at the start who people consider great because they're pioneers of the scene. A few great tunes aside, I don't rate them. Especially not as Dj's. And their recent productions, has anyone listened to Salmon Dance? MUCK.

Yeah their recent output is a bit lame, though they originally set out as a DJ team playing all sorts of stuff (at the heavenly Social) as the Dust Brothers, I have a few mixes they did and to be fair they are pretty good-their mix of St Etienne's like a motorway is great
    (on the same 12 are mixes by Autechre and Holmer)

They had to change their name as the Dust Brothers were a well known producer duo in the states who worked with everyone.
    Did a gig with them and I wouldn't get off the decks as the crowd was going mental, they were trying to play their stuff over mine, now that was bad noise.
    That being said private psychedelic reel is a great track at 7am-total 60's psyche rip-off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

That being said private psychedelic reel is a great track at 7am-total 60's psyche rip-off

+1

Wasn't that one of their secret "battle weapons"?

+1

Yeah-they were taken to court over it ripping off a track but won

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

+1

The electronic battle weapons from dig your own hole were "It doesn't matter" (another ace tune) and "don't stop the rock".
    They can be fairly overrated alright, but they also come out with some abolute gems along the way - Saturate, Hold tight London, pretty much all of Exit planet Dust... ("Leave home" especially!)

Advertisement