Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardiner Street

Options
  • 26-08-2009 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

Hey, Im about to begin renting a place in Gardiner Street.
    Can anyone tell me a little bit about the area with regards to safety?
    I thought it was a very nice spot when I was there today.
    It was a busy street and well lit.
    But I have heard that it has a bad reputation.
    Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭samurai kebab

It's a long st tbf can you be more specific which part your talking about and in general I'd see no problem living there you shouldn't really have any problems unless you go looking for them really. That's the short answer anyways cause it's late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Me twins partner is living somewhere on gardner street and some lunatic tried to bottle him in the throat a few months back. The chap then bet the head off some woman who told him to stop it. Lol. Other than that I havent heard to much more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

It's a long st tbf can you be more specific which part your talking about

Lower Gardiner Street

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Odd problem with burglaries, busy on match days with people going to Croke Park, since they demolished the flats it's probably not as bad. Good few junkies around as well given proximity to Marlborough and Talbot Streets. Overall, a lot better than it used to be. I'd live there but would prefer an apt that didn't look onto street cos there'd be traffic noise a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I walked up Gardner st. as far as Browne's Hotel at about 10 at night a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty lively, lots of hostels, so there was a good few backpackers out smoking and having beers. Good atmosphere, reminded me of traveling. That might not be a great thing if you are living there though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

lightening wrote: »
    I walked up Gardner st. as far as Browne's Hotel at about 10 at night a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty lively, lots of hostels, so there was a good few backpackers out smoking and having beers. Good atmosphere, reminded me of traveling. That might not be a great thing if you are living there though.

So Lower gardiner street ( the stretch between talbot street and cathal brugha street ) is relatively safe?
    Does most of the antisocial behaviour occur nearer to mountjoy square then?

I was watching this vid and it seems lively enough. Lots of traffic on the road and people wandering about.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭samurai kebab

Reckon you'd be absolutely fine there. Still the random chance something might happen there but i think it'd be fine for someone to live and as good as anywhere else in the city centre and better than most places. If you do decide to move there I live nearby so feel free to pm me with any questions regarding the area. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

So Lower gardiner street ( the stretch between talbot street and cathal brugha street ) is relatively safe?

I would spend a bit of time there before deciding, maybe a weekend in one of the hostels? Get a feel for the area, It's a big decision. I would be 90% sure it will be fine.

Best of luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

I've regularly walk Gardiner St at all hours of the night, on my own and i've never had a problem. As Samurai Kebab said, you'll usually have no problems, if your not looking for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Gardiner Street is no worse than any other part of the inner city. I lived very close to Middle Gardiner Street for years and never had any problems. Walked to and from work via Gardiner Street, and often late at night too.

No matter what part of the city you ask about (and in this forum, there's a new thread every few days it seems), there'll always be someone who knows someone who knows someone who had a bad experience there.

Noisy enough street in fairness though, as a previous poster said. Like them, I'd prefer an apt that's courtyard facing, but it wouldn't put me off living there in the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No matter what part of the city you ask about (and in this forum, there's a new thread every few days it seems), there'll always be someone who knows someone who knows someone who had a bad experience there.

...and those that are most vehement in their disapproval of an area usually have never lived there.

Advertisement