Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

backpacking budget

Options
  • 26-08-2009 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Whats a good budget for 6 weeks east coast australia & 6 weeks NZ, just doing the usual stuff, hostlling & bussing around the place, sightseeing and a moderate amount of boozing,
    what would people suggest per day/month ?????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

$40 per day minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Hostel will cost 20-30perday depending on what quality you want
    add on $15 if ya eat your own food, double it if ya want to eat out
    beer/wine if ya want to goon it then cheap ish $15 for a 2L cask of wine $15 for a 6pack of beer, if drinking out double that
    Tours etc, can get cheap packages with food, travel and accommadation in one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

would 1500E / month be enough ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭macca1983

Notch000 wrote: »
    would 1500E / month be enough ?

I've just done a similar trip and i would say 2,000 Euro would be minimum unless you plan to cook every day, not drink that much, don't get involved in any of the activites NZ has to offer and just generally chill out.

New Zealand is cheaper, hostels tend to be about 15-20 Euro. However you can rack up a bill quite easily in NZ getting involved in activities.

For example sky diving is about 300 and a bungee jump is about 200 if i can remember correctly. Fair enough if you don't get involved in these types of activities but most people do try there hand at a few of them/

Australia is a little bit more expensive.

It is impossible to say how much you need but i think a realistic amount would be between 2,000 and 2,500.

Advertisement