Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Pots/Draw

• 26-08-2009 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭

I didn't see a thread for this. If there is already one I apologise and this can be deleted/merged.

The draw is on tomorrow. It will be live on SSN starting at 4:30.

Here are the pots:

POT 1: Barcelona, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United, Milan, Arsenal, Sevilla, Bayern

POT 2: Lyon, Inter, Real Madrid, CSKA Moscow, Porto, AZ Alkmaar, Juventus, Glasgow Rangers

POT 3: Olympiacos, Marseille, Dinamo Kiev, Stuttgart, Fiorentina, Atletico Madrid, Bordeaux, Besiktas

POT 4: Wolfsburg, Standard, Maccabi Haifa, Zurich, Rubin Kazan, Unirea Urziceni, APOEL Nicosia, Debrecen.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Nightmare draw for any of the English teams:

Inter
    Atletico Madrid
    Wolfsburg

Not sure what the best draw would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I wouldn't mind AZ, Bordeaux and Standard again. All winnable, and not much travel involved.

Wow - with Inter, Juve and Real in the second pot there could be a tough game for one of the English sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

man utd and lyon will be in the same group

watch this space ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Nightmare draw for any of the English teams:

Inter
    Atletico Madrid
    Wolfsburg

Yeah there's going to be some seriously tough groups this year by the looks of things.

Why are Sevilla in pot 1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Real madrid could get an English club

R. madrid arent top seeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Not sure what the best draw would be.

AZ
    Kiev
    anyone but Rubin or Wolfsburg.

Headshot wrote: »
    Real madrid could get an English club

But in terms of the worst draw possible, that'd take Atletico out of the equation in pot 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Chelsea to get an easy draw shocker :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Real Madrid
    Fiorentina
    Wolfsburg

or

Inter
    Atletico
    Wolfsburg

Can't decide which would be tougher.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Milan
    Real Madrid
    Bordeaux
    Wolfsburg

I would cry...

Milan
    AZ Alkmaar
    Dinamo Kiev
    APOEL Nicosia

I'd **** my pants in glee.

The thing about getting the easier Pot 1 / Pot 2 teams in the groups is that that leaves you open to getting all the best teams in the knockout stage. If you're in a group with one of the stronger teams that means you can't meet them in the next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

CSKA would have to be the farthest team away from England in Pot 2, Besiktas in Pot 3 - don't know about Pot 3. Sometimes long travels can affect it big time.

I'm hoping for a nice close draw, so AZ, Bordeaux and Standard.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    CSKA would have to be the farthest team away from England in Pot 2, Besiktas in Pot 3 - don't know about Pot 3. Sometimes long travels can affect it big time.

I'm hoping for a nice close draw, so AZ, Bordeaux and Standard.

Rubin Kazan, Russian champions.

man u will probably get R.Madrid.

Liverpool will get Marseille, they like playing them and PSV recently, PSV not qualified this year though.

There seems to be more weaker teams than usual this year.

Btw, how the fcuk are Rangers in Pot 2 ??

rarnes1 wrote: »

Liverpool will get Marseille, they like playing them and PSV recently, PSV not qualified this year though.

That's because of Platini's new qualification system. Get used to seeing more weaker teams.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I think the new system is a lot better, you have way more league champions qualifying, and after all, it is called the champions league.

No country should get 3 automatic qualifiers, and I support a team that finished 3rd and qualified automatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Would love to see Rangers return to Manchester ;) Seriously though they are the poorest pot 2 team in a long time

Mr Maroon wrote: »
    That's because of Platini's new qualification system. Get used to seeing more weaker teams.

Not slagging them off or anything just shocked to see them in pot 2.

Platini wont be happy until all the english clubs are in pot 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

man u and real are nailed on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I'm guessing they picked up a bundle of co-eff points when they got to the UEFA cup final in 2007, it'll help them with their seeding for the next couple of seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

I reckon Utd will get Real(C. Ronaldo returns to Old Trafford), Barca get Inter(Ibra and Eto'o return to their old clubs) and Milan get Bordeaux(Gourcuff returns to Milan), it's faith.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

rangers would be great, along with boardeux and zurich - nice non long haul winnable games.

dor83 wrote: »
    I reckon Utd will get Real(C. Ronaldo returns to Old Trafford), Barca get Inter(Ibra and Eto'o return to their old clubs) and Milan get Bordeaux(Gourcuff returns to Milan), it's fixed.
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I'll cream myself if United get Madrid. What a fcuking match that'll be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Rangers got promoted to pot 2 last night when Fiorentina knocked out Sporting Lisbon. They would have been in pot 3 had Sporting won or had Panathanaikos beating Madrid...

Would love to see Rangers return to Manchester ;) Seriously though they are the poorest pot 2 team in a long time

Im sure Rangers will get an English team, would be great to see Champions of England and Champions of Scotland go head to head again like they did in 2003.... Sir Alex would love to bring his team back to Ibrox, I am sure of this. Rangers are easiest of the pot 2 teams no question..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

If Manchester United draw Real Madrid the people at Sky are going to have a giant orgy in the office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

hopefully

MAN UNITED
    GLASGOW RANGERS
    BESIKTAS JK
    APOEL NICOSIA

Hopefully not

MAN UNITED
    REAL MADRID
    FIORENTINA
    WOLFSBURG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

if it is fixed, as people expect it to be, I can't see United getting Real Madrid - they'd be kept apart til the knockouts I reckon, if it was fixed.

hopefully

MAN UNITED
    GLASGOW RANGERS
    BESIKTAS JK
    APOEL NICOSIA

Hopefully not

MAN UNITED
    REAL MADRID
    FIORENTINA
    WOLFSBURG

Wolfsburg strongest of pot 4 teams. Im sure Sir Alex and his mate Walter would be both delighted with the first draw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Good to see Milan back, i look forward to see ronaldinho playing for them through the middle. Apparently new manager Leonardo is building the team around him, which is good, Id like to see him pull the creative strings in midfield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

if it is fixed, as people expect it to be, I can't see United getting Real Madrid - they'd be kept apart til the knockouts I reckon, if it was fixed.

So, some people saying it's fixed if United get Real in the groups, others saying that it's fixed if they get them in the knockouts.

Fúck it, I'll say it's fixed if United don't get Real at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

just thinking wouldnt an english team prefer a "big" second pot team to be drawn with them. I mean the top two go through. Say if they dont win a couple of matches at least the other "big" second pot team will hopefully demolish the 2 other lower ranked teams, thus making it easier for the english team???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

adamski8 wrote: »
    just thinking wouldnt an english team prefer a "big" second pot team to be drawn with them. I mean the top two go through. Say if they dont win a couple of matches at least the other "big" second pot team will hopefully demolish the 2 other lower ranked teams, thus making it easier for the english team???

yes but it's getting more and more important to win your group so you will be seeded for the next round. Although saying that there is usually a lot of quality teams unseeded in the knockout rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Pot Four is extremely weak in comparison to previous years (I am aware that this was the intention).

Also, a draw of CSKA, Dinamo Kiev and Maccabi Haifa would be pretty bad. Yes, any of the English teams would progress from it, but the extremely long travel times would surely have a knock on effect for domestic games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I'll be shocked if United get any hard team at all, let alone Real Madrid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Mr Maroon wrote: »
    I didn't see a thread for this. If there is already one I apologise and this can be deleted/merged.

The draw is on tomorrow. It will be live on SSN starting at 4:30.

Here are the pots:

POT 1: Barcelona, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United, Milan, Arsenal, Sevilla, Bayern

POT 2: Lyon, Inter, Real Madrid, CSKA Moscow, Porto, AZ Alkmaar, Juventus, Glasgow Rangers

POT 3: Olympiacos, Marseille, Dinamo Kiev, Stuttgart, Fiorentina, Atletico Madrid, Bordeaux, Besiktas

POT 4: Wolfsburg, Standard, Maccabi Haifa, Zurich, Rubin Kazan, Unirea Urziceni, APOEL Nicosia, Debrecen.

Teams in bold you would want to avoid. Pot 4 is of a horrible standard (bar Wolfsburg). Half the teams sounds like they are names of people. The Group stages have been pretty boring the past few seasons as it is a stroll for the top teams. Moscow, Porto, Alkmaar and Rangers would be handy draws for Pot 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Please please please make it United and Real. And canon-fodder for the other 2 places in group :D But yeah, should it happen, prepare for the Sky Sports hype machine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Warper wrote: »
    Teams in bold you would want to avoid. Pot 4 is of a horrible standard (bar Wolfsburg). Half the teams sounds like they are names of people. The Group stages have been pretty boring the past few seasons as it is a stroll for the top teams. Moscow, Porto, Alkmaar and Rangers would be handy draws for Pot 1.

i'd like United to get Zurich from pot 4. I have a friend living over that way, so would have somewhere to stay...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Holsten wrote: »
    I'll be shocked if United get any hard team at all, let alone Real Madrid!

FFS - this sh!t comes up every year - give it a rest

Villareal
    Celtic
    Aalborg

Roma
    Sporting
    Kiev

Celtic
    Benfica
    Copenhagen

Villareal
    Benfica
    Lille

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Wow there are some very tough possible draws there. I think the key is to avoid the really tough teams in pot three. Would really hate to get Atletico in, they have looked very good. I see alot of people are tipping Wolfsburg as one to avoid, can't say I've heard much about them, are they that good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Seaneh wrote: »
    I think the new system is a lot better, you have way more league champions qualifying, and after all, it is called the champions league.

No country should get 3 automatic qualifiers, and I support a team that finished 3rd and qualified automatically.

Nail hit squarely on the head there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

I'd like to avoid Juventus if I had a choice. Think they will be a handful for any of the pot 1 Teams .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'd like to call out all the conspiracy theorists crackpots who come out every year and say it's rigged. Come on then folks, what's the rigged draw this time, let's compare it to the real thing.

kida wrote: »
    FFS - this sh!t comes up every year - give it a rest

Villareal
    Celtic
    Aalborg

Roma
    Sporting
    Kiev

Celtic
    Benfica
    Copenhagen

Villareal
    Benfica
    Lille

So the point stands as per the above groups?

Wreck wrote: »
    Wow there are some very tough possible draws there. I think the key is to avoid the really tough teams in pot three. Would really hate to get Atletico in, they have looked very good. I see alot of people are tipping Wolfsburg as one to avoid, can't say I've heard much about them, are they that good?

They're a German league side. Relative to the other teams in that pot, they'll be mega tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I actually don't mind who Barca get in the group stages, they need to prove themselves against the best to show that they are still at the aphex of world football today.

I'd be happy to see

Barca
    Inter
    Fiorentina
    Wolfsburg

More than likely something like;

Barca
    Rangers
    Fiorentina
    Standard

Which is a fair enough group really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    So the point stands as per the above groups?

go look at the options - believe me there was far easier - Celtic was not an easy option for an English team

• Advertisement
Advertisement