Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Pots/Draw

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

What a fix that draw was tbh.

John Terry(Man Utd fan) and Iniesta(who I think I once read on some website that he adores Man Utd) gave Man Utd decent enough teams, and then Xavi(who we all know is anti Man Utd) gives us Wolfsburg.

Shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

CHD wrote: »
    That group is horrible Headshot.

No it isnt :D

how the hell do you think that's horrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

no "big" sky sports matches ie man u v real, chelsea inter milan, thank god. sky sports news wont actually be hyping up any match involving an english team!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Utd have a lot of travelling to do, and German champions Wolfsburg could get four points out of both games.

I wouldn't bank on it

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Headshot wrote: »

The only difficult thing will be avoiding Deep vein thrombosis on the plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

Happy enough with the draw as a United fan. There's travelling involved, but that's why we have a big squad. Really looking forward to playing Wolfsburg. It won't be the formality of a group that some have made out, but I think that we should be aiming to win the group.

Liverpool and Chelsea both have tough groups. Any of the away days to the second and third seeds could bring defeat, and all are good enough to at least get a draw on the road. I'd still be shocked if either went out at the group stage mind.

Arsenal could, and should, win their group. No strong travellers in any of the sides they face, and a lack of Champions' League experience in some of those teams. Eighteen out of eighteen is not beyond them.

Other standouts are Barca-Inter, Real Madrid-Milan, and Bayern Munich-Juventus. All of those teams should qualify, and there's bound to be good matches between them. Good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Utd have a lot of travelling to do, and German champions Wolfsburg could get four points out of both games.

You know it's only 3 points for a win...

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

adamski8 wrote: »
    no "big" sky sports matches ie man u v real, chelsea inter milan, thank god. sky sports news wont actually be hyping up any match involving an english team!!!!

There is about 40 channels carrying the champions league, no one is forcing you to watch Sky or are they? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

what great players do wolfsburg have?!

• Advertisement

IvySlayer wrote: »
    You know it's only 3 points for a win...

:pac:

:confused: You play them twice...

Eddie Murphy talking pure muck on SSN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

:confused: You play them twice...

I know. But 4 points out of both games sounds funnny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Hey,
    Can anyone explain why Wolfsburg the German champions were in pot 4 while Bayern Munich were in Pot 1? :confused:

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    what great players do wolfsburg have?!

Edin Dzeko and Grafite are both class players. They didn't win the Bundesliga for nothing.

Hey,
    Can anyone explain why Wolfsburg the German champions were in pot 4 while Bayern Munich were in Pot 1? :confused:

Co-efficient. Bayern's previous European Cup wins give them more points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Trilla wrote: »
    United walk it!? I think its tough enough group. G and H are easier groups for sure
    yeah i agree , wolfsburg look decent ,nobody fancys goin moscow or turkey

Boggles wrote: »
    There is about 40 channels carrying the champions league, no one is forcing you to watch Sky or are they? :eek:

Rupert Murdoch has the his gun locked and loaded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Of the Spanish teams;

Sevilla will definitely be the happiest, they have arguably the easiest group bar Arsenal, Sevilla are better all over the park then all those teams, and none are really known for putting in massive performances and getting shock results. Sevilla should easily qualify first.

Atletico Madrid have a very tough group, but I really think Porto without Lopez and Lucho are going to be severely weakened, and even though they'll be far from favourites against Chelsea, on their day Atletico can tear apart any team in the world. I think Atleti are capable of getting 2nd spot, and giving Chelsea one or two scares along the way. (Although ultimately they'll qualify top)

Real Madrid imo have the toughest group by a long shot, Marseille AND A.C Milan are massive games, Morientes will be returning to face his old Real team, and Kaka will be playing at the San Siro once more. Going to be an excellent group, it also means that Pellegrini has even less time to get his team to start clicking together, they desperately need to qualify for this galactico project to be deemed successful.

Barcelona imo have the 2nd toughest group, the ties against Inter and Mourinho will be very interesting, as it'll be a really good measure of Guardiola's steel. Inters team is weaker in most departments, so it'll be up to Mourinho to do whatever he can to give his team the edge. Then the two games in Eastern Europe are an absolute pest, and could potentially disrupt domestic form. But I already said that a tough group is exactly what Barcelona need to prove that they can retain the trophy, this'll be a good test, and the perfect stage for Ibrahimovic to prove doubters wrong.

Arsenal, Sevilla and Man Utd all have quite straight forward passages to the K.O groups, but it is excellent to see big ties like Inter-Barca, A.C-Madrid, and Chelsea-Atletico all in the group stages. It's great to have football back again after a few month hiatus. =)

Also, was anybody laughing there ass off when Figo had to give the midfielder of the year award? He was praying it was Gerard so he wouldn't have to give it to a Barca player, his face when he read out Xavi had dread on it, luckily Xavi gave him a warm embrace, can't say I'd do the same for the Judas... =P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Wolfsburg are a good team, Cska are a good team. Besiktas is a tough place to go. It's not a good group at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Tyranax wrote: »
    Co-efficient. Bayern's previous European Cup wins give them more points.

Cheers, that to me is keeping the rich clubs rich with a favourable draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Arsenal in with Alkmaar, Olympiacos, & Standard Liege

A very happy arsenal fan here, easy passage to the knockouts it would seem!

Cheers, that to me is keeping the rich clubs rich with a favourable draw.

Well the idea is that previous good performance is rewarded. If you win the European Cup, or get far consistently, then you should be rewarded for that. But I agree, it's a bit too stagnant. A three year rolling history was suggested, and I think that's a good idea. Means that a cup won a couple of decades ago counts for less than your recent performance, and that's fair enough.

Wolfsburg are a good team, Cska are a good team. Besiktas is a tough place to go. It's not a good group at all!

you wont change my mind

those teams are just so so

wolfsburg being the exception,there just a good team

Man utd should walk it

you wont change my mind

Man utd should walk it
    I don't want to change your mind. But you will soon see.

• Advertisement

I don't want to change your mind. But you will soon see.

we'll see

I rather have utd's group than Chelsea's any day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

When do we find out the matchdays? When the fixtures dates and days decided?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tyranax wrote: »
    Well the idea is that previous good performance is rewarded. If you win the European Cup, or get far consistently, then you should be rewarded for that. But I agree, it's a bit too stagnant. A three year rolling history was suggested, and I think that's a good idea. Means that a cup won a couple of decades ago counts for less than your recent performance, and that's fair enough.

The co-efficient is done over the last 5 years performance, so a cup won a couple of decades doesnt count anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

you wont change my mind

Man utd should walk it

have to agree really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

We (Juve) should win Group A I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Absolutely delighted with our group, although im damn sure the other teams will be saying the exact same thing.

Gives me an excuse to head back to Bucharest this year too! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Seriously, what is the point of these group stages? Every year we see the same teams progressing to the knockout stages. I cannot see anything other than 4 English teams, 4 Spanish teams, 3/4 Italian teams, 3/4 German teams, 1/2 French team(s) and a Portuguese team progressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Good group draw for United but the last 16 will be tough when you look at the possible top two from each of the rest of the groups. Group G is about the only ones you'd want to get in the next round after the groups.

we'll see

I rather have utd's group than Chelsea's any day
    Yeah but we have a class squad ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

People are also probably overrating Wolfsburg. Dzeko looks like a class player, Josue is solid and Grafite was on fire last season. The rest are ok, with some dodgy defenders (take a look at some fixtures they were involved in last year).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Mr Maroon wrote: »
    We (Juve) should win Group A I think.

Yeah, was hoping we'd get Bayern. Wonder when the fixture dates are announced? Wouldn't mind a trip to Munich!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

jenno86 wrote: »
    When do we find out the matchdays? When the fixtures dates and days decided?

They are decieded already

Before the Liverpool V Man Utd game

Liverpool play home to Lyon on the Tuesday while United play in Moscow on the Wednesday.

Just go to your teams website for the fixtures
    Liverpools are
    Match 1 Debrecen H Sept 16
    Match 2 Fiorentina A Sept 29
    Match 3 Lyon H Oct 20
    Match 4 Lyon A Nov 4
    Match 5 Debrecen A Nov 24
    Match 6 Fiorentina H Dec 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

^ happy enough with that order. We should get through handy enough if we get a result away to Fiorentina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Arsenal share their match day with Manchester United so forget about television coverage on RTÉ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Pritty much what i feel will be the last 16..Easy enough to pick from the groups.
    Bayern Munich
    Juventus

Manchester United
    CSKA Moscow

AC Milan
    Real Madrid

Chelsea
    Atletico Madrid

Liverpool
    Lyon

Barcelona
    Inter Milan

Sevilla
    Rangers

Arsenal
    Olympiakos

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Quint wrote: »
    Yeah, was hoping we'd get Bayern. Wonder when the fixture dates are announced? Wouldn't mind a trip to Munich!
    Or even Bordeaux. Maybe not Haifa though! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

wolfsburg had a good season last year but like marseille or blackburn when they won the league years ago do you really see wolfsburg in the last 8 or even the last 16, i don't

besiktas are decent at home however last time in england 2 seasons ago they lost 8-0 at anfield which says it all about their away form :eek: no chance besiktas qualify for last 16 unless they win all their home games and even then

that leaves us with cska moscow, nothing but a glorified uefa cup team imo, there are better teams in the uefa this season, like turkish teams russians don't travel well, when you think utd could have got lyon or real or inter instead of moscow, wow

utd to walk this group, qualified by fourth game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Seriously, what is the point of these group stages? Every year we see the same teams progressing to the knockout stages. I cannot see anything other than 4 English teams, 4 Spanish teams, 3/4 Italian teams, 3/4 German teams, 1/2 French team(s) and a Portuguese team progressing.
    Agreed. The Champions league group stages are a complete bore nowadays. Very predictable. The clubs with the big money alway's progress.

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Agreed. The Champions league group stages are a complete bore nowadays. Very predictable. The clubs with the big money alway's progress.

man city should walk it this season so...................................;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Mr Maroon wrote: »
    Or even Bordeaux. Maybe not Haifa though! :P

Bordeaux: famous for wine
    Munich: famous for beer
    Munich wins:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

brutal draw for United! loads of travelling and we got the best team by a mile from pot 4

dubmick wrote: »
    brutal draw for United! loads of travelling and we got the best team by a mile from pot 4

a team that are playing their 3rd ever european campaign, Magath was a miracle worker there but now he is gone, first season in champions league is a huge step up for wolfsburg, liege have played here before, liege winning 23 of 44 champions league matches, haifa knocked out cska moscow from the uefa cup 2 seasons ago so neither are pushovers and have tonnes more european experience than wolfsburg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Yeah but we have a class squad ;)

And evidently also arrogant supporters. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'd imagine most of the English clubs supporters on this website would be expecting their team to make the Semi-Finals at the least, a lot of you will be hopeful of winning it. Therefore the group games should be a non-event; if you expect to win/go far in the cup then Wolfsburg/Fiorentina/CSKA etc away shouldn't be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

If you look at the teams the English clubs avoided , They should all be happy
    No real problems (on paper at least) They all should have the squads to deal with the group stages .
    Also away from the English clubs there is a couple of great games in the other groups

Juventus v Bayern :D
    Milan v Real :D:D
    Barca v Inter :D:D:D

And with that six teams facing each other in the group stage. It will/could make for some great/big games in the knockout stage for any(all)English clubs that make it through.:D

Advertisement