Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remaps

• 26-08-2009 10:32pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know sweet fa on the subject.

Any one care to enlighten me?

How is it done?
    What types of cars can be done?
    Benefits?
    Cost?

Could my 05 Saab 93 vector be done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭pablosd

www.auto-tune.ie

its all explained there, and most of the cars are listed with estimated power gains..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A remap is basically a software upgrade to the car's ECU or computer chip over the manufacturer's standard specifications. This usually involves increasing the power delivery/output and improving fuel economy.

This is best accomplished on engines with forced induction, in other words an engine with a turbo or supercharger. Modern diesel engines are very responsive to software remaps.

If your 9-3 is a normally aspired petrol engine then I doubt any remap will make difference to it but I am open to correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

bazz26 wrote: »

If your 9-3 is a normally aspired petrol engine then I doubt any remap will make difference to it but I am open to correction.

The 9-3 vector is a turbo. About 210BHP iirc. I'm not sure of the gains you'll make but I have to say that is a sweet car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

The 9-3 Turbo 1.8T is 150 BHP you can get an ECU remap to bring it upto 204 BHP. Well from what I have seen around.

The 2.0T may not be able to be done.

As far as I know it can be done with the 1.8T because it is the same engine as the 2.0T but its just the 2.0 is tuned.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The 05 vector comes with the 1.8i not the 1.8t.

I'll have a look at that site now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

irlmarc wrote: »
    The 9-3 Turbo 1.8T is 150 BHP you can get an ECU remap to bring it upto 204 BHP. Well from what I have seen around.

The 2.0T may not be able to be done.

As far as I know it can be done with the 1.8T because it is the same engine as the 2.0T but its just the 2.0 is tuned.
    what i can never understand about Re-mapping is if your car was designed to be a 110bhp then why would they design it so the ECU could be changed to 130bhp,obviously if the car was designed to be a 110bhp thats what it should be.

Double post

kearnsr wrote: »
    The 05 vector comes with the 1.8i not the 1.8t.

I'll have a look at that site now

Its a choice. Mines an 04 1.8t Vector

And its not that the 2.0T is overtuned its more a case that the 1.8T is not tuned I think.

I could be wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Will remapping effect fuel consumption?

Yes remapping the ECU (Engine Control Unit) does effect fuel consumption anyone who tells you otherwise would be lying, you can’t get something for nothing.
    When we remap an ECU the open loop parameters for fuel are altered to give more performance, so if this extra performance is always used then you will use more fuel. But if normal driving is observed then fuel consumption is unaffected. On motor way driving a lot of customers have noted better fuel economy after remapping.

http://www.autoremap.com/index.php?page=faq

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

irlmarc wrote: »
    Its a choice. Mines an 04 1.8t Vector

And its not that the 2.0T is overtuned its more a case that the 1.8T is not tuned I think.

I could be wrong

you can't get the 1.8t. From 05 onwards afaik

• Advertisement

Oh I thought you could? Looking on CGB there seems to be a good few 1.8t linears and vectors??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

what i can never understand about Re-mapping is if your car was designed to be a 110bhp then why would they design it so the ECU could be changed to 130bhp,obviously if the car was designed to be a 110bhp thats what it should be.

If a car is making 110Bhp from the factory, you can be sure the engine was designed to be 130Bhp for example. The detune engines for specific markets to comply with noise and emmission regulations. All a remap does is bring the engine back to it's full potential without exceedig the safe operating limits. It can't magically give the engine any more power than it's injectors, manifolds and cams are able to provide on their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

kearnsr wrote: »
    you can't get the 1.8t. From 05 onwards afaik

1.8t version was (and still is) available in the 9-3. It became the 175ps bio power version in 07 I think.

Saab used to offer a factory approved re-map of the 1.8t engine from 150 to 175 and the cost was the difference between the price of the 1.8t and the 2.0t.

If yours if the 1.8i 122bhp version, I don't think there would be any improvement from a re-map.

Anyway,

Both partsforsaab and elkparts sell a stage one remap if you want to do it yourself. I was going to ask about these on here so if anyone has any input on them?

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_270_353_450&products_id=2084

R.O.R wrote: »
    1.8t version was (and still is) available in the 9-3. It became the 175ps bio power version in 07 I think.

Saab used to offer a factory approved re-map of the 1.8t engine from 150 to 175 and the cost was the difference between the price of the 1.8t and the 2.0t.

If yours if the 1.8i 122bhp version, I don't think there would be any improvement from a re-map.

It is my understanding that the 1.8t was just rebranded the 2.0?

Yeah mine is the 1.8i so doesnt appear to be worth the effort

Advertisement