Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My frustrating Days driving! Tipp To Limerick

• 26-08-2009 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭

OK at 2pm today i set off from Tipp town to drive to Limerick city, I needed to be in Limerick at 3pm, I've done this journey loads of times and it usually takes 30 to 40 minutes.

Just outside Tipp town i join a queue of traffic doing approx. 20kmh, the obstacle is a very old man in a very old tractor who isn't pulling in to let anyone go, Lets call him paddy, don't even think he was interested in the 20+ vehicles behind him! Finally i get past him just before Limerick Junction!

Outside Limerick Junc. I join another queue of 5 vehicles,the obstacle this time is a 98 green almera which varies in speed going up to 60kmh and then braking sharply til his slowed down to 30kmh, his also driving on the white line then heading over to the yellow line, any time someone tried to pass he either braked sharply or swerved out in front of them.
    My turn to pass comes and as i pass i look over and i reckon he is the tractor drivers brother, lets call him paddys brother johnny!
    again he seems totally unaware of the traffic jam building up behind him.

Now im doing ok and get as far as Pallas green without a problem, no traffic in front or behind me, far side of Pallas Green i see an ESB truck pull out onto main road from a side road and take off slowly towards Limerick.
    Im only 200yrds away from him when he pulls out so im standing on the brake. He continues and is driving at 40kmh, I look in the rearview and see there is no traffic behind me, So i think why the [EMAIL="F@@k"]F@@k[/EMAIL] did,nt you wait til i passed before you pulled out, Got past him with great difficulty and im off again.

Get all the way to Boher and join another queue of 7 vehicles, this time its a tractor driving through the village, and fair play he pulls onto hard shoulder as soon as he can and lets us pass, i beep and salute as a thank you to him. Not much delay there.

Pass the newly reopened petrol station on the left and join another queue of 4 vehicles, this time the hold up is because of a Toyota yaris doing an average 65kmh and driving on the white line.
    my turn comes to pass as as i put on my indicator and check my mirrors a big yellow DHL van with his dipped beam on is sitting on my bumper, if i opened the boot he could of climbed in!
    As i start to pass the yaris DHL man decides to take us both and almost side swipes me before backing off and sitting on my bumper again.
    A quick glance into the yaris and the old woman driving must be Paddy and Johhnys Grandmother, she is the head off them!

Now im nearing the First set of lights at the Limerick bypass and DHL man is determined to climb into my boot, seems to me his trying to force me to pull in but i dont give in and he backs off as we approach the city.

My 30 to 40 minute journey has taken 70 minutes, Was anyone else here on site on the Tipp to Limerick road today or anyone have asimilar experience?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Yes I was but going the other way. I was driving from Limerick to Wexford and then to Cork so I can tell you that I met my fair share of drivers.

Lots of old people, tractors, drivers who could not mantain speed, guy in Rexton who was doing paperwork whilst driving the N25 swerving all over the place.

Also was given out to by a pedestrian for having my dipped lights on in Dungarvan because "its not dark out, why are your lights on" to my response of "Sigh, mind your own business" as i put up the electric window.

What happened to you today is similar to the driving experience I have every day. :D

You should post this in Ranting & Raving because the subtle high horse brigade love these threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭pablosd

so many time wasters on the roads, its wrecking my head too!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Why did you purposely stop the DHL van from passing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I live out that way and commute every day on that road to and from work in the city suberbs.

It's a bizzare road where it widens up for decent overtaking but then quickly becomes narror with lots of twists and bends. It also manages to attracts the worst type of driving you are ever likely to see on a daily basis.

I think the worst section is between Cahir and Tipperary town, narrow road with lots of tight bends, if traffic builds up behind a truck, tractor or sunday driver then you can forget about getting past them unless you are really familar with every inch of that road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

That stretch of the N24 from Cahir to Tip Town is possibly the most dangerous stretch of N road in the country IMO. I don't know how many times I've nearly been cleaned by idiots overtaking coming the other way. And the surface is appalling.

OP, people that drive at such speeds on N roads really need to be clamped down on as they cause others to take risks that they otherwise would not take. This has to be a cause of accidents on roads like the N24. But I don't know of anyone that was ever pulled over for failing to make proper progress (well bar that farmer that got banned)

• Advertisement
Advertisement