Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XBOX ELITE, sell or switch to PS3?

• 26-08-2009 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I have been lucky enough to come into a brand new Xbox360 elite! Having not owned a console since the PS1 (big into pc games), I am now left with a conondrum. My friend swears by his PS3 and yet I am curious about the Xbox - which is better value for money? And if I were to try get a PS3 do you think shops like Gamestop would allow me to trade it in for most of its value (brand new, unopened)?Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Don't think Gamestop will give you the full price on it. Youre posting in an XBox forum so I'd think theres going to be bias. I have both a PS3 and a 360, and for me the PS3 is better value. You can get one in Havery Normans with 2 games for €249, youd be crazy not to swipe it up at that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I have both and rarely turn on the PS3. Check out the exclusives to see which you prefer and run with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 ninety6days

Size up your enjoyment of nice, format war winner bluray against your enjoyment of nice crowded online play. Then you have your answer.

amacachi wrote: »
    I have both and rarely turn on the PS3. Check out the exclusives to see which you prefer and run with it.

That and the cost of getting it set up to your spec. Something I didn't take into account with the 360.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

I have a few friends that have got both an all of them say that their ps3 is rarely turned on....

If you were starting right now.with no money spent,i would say,get a ps3 because its better value in the long term(speculation ftw;))due to increased power and more imaginative developers.

However in the short term if you have any friends that use the xbox,keep the xbox as the online service is much better for it

• Advertisement

dmcg90 wrote: »
    That and the cost of getting it set up to your spec. Something I didn't take into account with the 360.

As an online gamer I'd guess the OP would prefer a wired connection, I know I do.

As an online gamer I'd guess the OP would prefer a wired connection, I know I do.

I can't, so that was a major outlay for me and a big swing factor for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

I say switch. If your big into PC games chances are Xbox exclusives also get released on pc, eventually.

PS3 has blu-ray and what not, but if you don't have a hi-def telly it won't really matter.

You might not get as much as your hoping for off the PS3 if you trade it in. Try selling it on adverts.ie for what you think it's worth.

I'm very happy with my 360 and when I do eventually get a PS3 it'll be just for the exclusives and blu-ray. Multi-format games will be got for my xbox. But if you just want 1 console make it a PS3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

i much prefer the 360 to the ps3, one of the primary reasons being the awful ps3 controller, can't believe it's not been improved in all these years. whereas the xbox controller is ultra comfortable for extended gaming sessions.

games i'd prefer to play tend to be on the 360 too, and for most games that are on both formats the 360 nearly always betters the PS3 performance wise, check eurogamer for their comparison pieces.

most of my friends lucky enough to have both consoles tend to play their 360 a hell of a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

+ 1. I can't even remember when I last turned on the PS3, whereas I play the Xbox almost every day... The games on the Xbox Live Arcade are also much better IMO than most of the offerings on the PSN...

• Advertisement

Post this in the PS forum, you might get a different set of responses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

very good idea, two sides of the coin. Although im sure the lads here are going to say xbox is better, ps3 lads will say ps3 is better. Best thing to do, it was suggested already, is to check out the exclusive games each console have, gears of war, Uncharted, God of war, Fable 2.... all good games

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I have both consoles.

I play the Xbox360 almost every day and when I go to buy a multiplatform game, I always get it on the 360 because xbox Live is far superior to the PS3 network.

I turn on the PS3 about once every 2 weeks to watch a Blu Ray. I havent played a game on it for about 8 months.

Keep the 360.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Have to agree with what most people said here. I was a PS gamer ever since the PSX, PS2. Then along came the Xbox 1 and all that changed.

I got my 360 on launch day and I can safely say its the best console I have owned and that saying alot cause I love the SNES to death. I use my 360 nearly every day to play games of some sort. I prefare the controller hands down, the games selection for me has been constantly better and the quality of cross platform games have been better on the 360 for almost everything. The market place and Live is miles ahead of Sonys offering. If Sony want to charge and try to compete with Live, go for it. PSN is just slow, laggy and lacks a lot of features.

I got my PS3 60gb when I heard they were being phased out and I gave in to marketing hype. I hardly ever used my PS3 regularly after the first week of owning it and kept going back to the 360. I don't like the PS controller at all, its too small and un-comfortable and the button placement and function is not as good as the 360's pad.

All I use my PS3 for is it's very limited AAA title list. MGS4, Killzone 2 and LBP. I mainly play older classic PS2 games on it and the odd bluray. The last time I turned my PS3 on must be over 2 months ago to watch a blu ray where as my 360 has seen daily use.

For me the 360 is a games console and the PS3 is a blu ray player that also happens to play games.

If the PS3 had all the gaming features, better quality cross platform games, better exclusives, better designed controller thats comfortable to hold and use and far better online, it would be my primary console.

That is a good suggestion but I would also note on both forums the replies from people who have both consoles. If you only have one or the other, I'd reckon you'd be biased favorably towards it, since in effect, it would have "won" over the other one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

i too have both and rarely turn on the ps3 .

Firstly having ownd the 360 before the ps3 i couldnt get used to the joypad, so giving it a fair go i got a cross adapter meaning i can use my 360 joypad for the ps3 .Unfortunately it still didnt draw me.

Secondly playing cod 4 on the ps3 i found most people didnt have mics and thoses that did had theirs blaring .

Thirdly , looking at gamebattles the biggest gaming site , look at the difference in members for competition, more so goes the the xbox.

In the end pal its apples and oranges and whatever takes your fancy, i dont play the ps3 much but will still probably pick up cod mw2 for it to give it a go.Good luck with which ever you decide to play.

Try posting in the general games forum then http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I have all three main consoles [PS3, 360 Elite and Wii] and I prefer my PS3. It gets the most use, as well as all multi-platform releases.

IMO it is the better console: free online play, all features come in the box [WiFi etc], better exclusives [Uncharted, Wipeout HD, Motorstorm Pacift Rift, Killzone 2, MGS4, LittleBigPlanet], excellent online network [PSN works just as well as XBoxLIVE IMO] and great selection of PSN games [Warhawk, Super Stardust HD, Fat Princess, Flower] and, last but not least, the best media player [Blu-Ray and a wider selection of compatible formats]

I have an Elite, which I play only exclusives on, however, a lot of these exclusives are on PC anyway.

My Wii hasn't been turned on in a year.

My €0.02

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

i have a 360 but im going to get a ps3 soon but i know my self im not gonna use it as much as the 360, only getting it for blu ray and ps3 exclusives any multi platform game will be bought for the 360

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Interesting, the majority of people though would say the opposite. They way I look at it. PS3 is better designed,better built and has a better spec. However at the end of the day I want a games console so my 360 gets used a hell of alot more. Xbox live is light years ahead of the PSN, however it is a paid service (that said at 35euro a year its not much).

As for exclusives I would say the 360 has the better of them. Wipeout is just a tarted up remake, motorstorm is instantly forgettable, killzone is a poor mans halo and the new Metal gear will be out on the 360. However each to their own.

I'm guessing that, like me, you find the PS3 controller completely useless for halfway serious driving games?

• Advertisement

Interesting, the majority of people though would say the opposite. They way I look at it. PS3 is better designed,better built and has a better spec. However at the end of the day I want a games console so my 360 gets used a hell of alot more.

I can't understand this viewpoint. Why is it that because a PS3 can do a lot more media-wise, that its ability to be a games console wanes? The PS3 offers plenty of brilliant titles. How does its games catalogue greatly differ from the 360's? Most games are multi-platform with a small number of exclusives on each side.
    Xbox live is light years ahead of the PSN, however it is a paid service (that said at 35euro a year its not much).

Again, what exactly differentiates Live from the PSN? It is some sort of persistant myth that the XBoxLIVE service is miles ahead of the PSN. They both offer downloadable games, legacy titles and they both perform the same, stability-wise.
    As for exclusives I would say the 360 has the better of them. Wipeout is just a tarted up remake, motorstorm is instantly forgettable, killzone is a poor mans halo and the new Metal gear will be out on the 360. However each to their own.

Opinions on games aside, which consoles has more exclusives this year? Or next?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You'd be crazy to sell the 360 for a PS3. There's so little difference in the games released on each system that they are practically the same console with a handful of exclusives. I've got both and the PS3 is hardly ever turned on usually because I get my third party games on the 360 since they are usually a little better.

Otacon wrote: »
    Again, what exactly differentiates Live from the PSN? It is some sort of persistant myth that the XBoxLIVE service is miles ahead of the PSN. They both offer downloadable games, legacy titles and they both perform the same, stability-wise.

I might be missing something here, but there are no demos for PSN games, so no try before you buy option... On the Xbox Live Arcade, every single game is available as a trial first. I also find the quality of XBLA games better, especially very recently, with games like Splosion' Man, Trials HD and Shadow Complex. The only PSN game I own is Lumines Supernova...

The store itself just looks better arranged too on XBLA, but that's purely a personal preference.

On the other hand, the PSN scores for dealing in real money, rather than an absolutely craptacular MS point system...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Games aside, the PS3 is the best blu-ray player on the market. This is because, as it's connected to the internet, it constant downloads all the new firmware and software updates for your player, whereas most of the rest of the players don't

J-blk wrote: »
    I might be missing something here, but there are no demos for PSN games, so no try before you buy option... On the Xbox Live Arcade, every single game is available as a trial first.

This is down to the developer, not Sony. They decide whether to make trials available or not. Battlefield 1943 and Fat Princess had demos IIRC.

I would argue that this is not enough to qualify the statement that "Xbox live is light years ahead of the PSN" though.
    I also find the quality of XBLA games better, especially very recently, with games like Splosion' Man, Trials HD and Shadow Complex. The only PSN game I own is Lumines Supernova...

Again, I do not agree. WarHawk, Wipeout HD, Gran Turismo Prologue, Fat Princess, Super Stardust HD, Everyday Shooter, any of the PixelJunk games and Flower are just some of the games I own that I would rate very highly.
    The store itself just looks better arranged too on XBLA, but that's purely a personal preference.

Understandable, however, the Store got an update not too long ago that made browsing through it very intuitive. I prefer the PSN though that may be because I have used it longer.
    On the other hand, the PSN scores for dealing in real money, rather than an absolutely craptacular MS point system...

Certainly a selling point, though the Marketplace, I have heard somewhere, will be changing to real money transactions soon, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Smithzer

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I have both consoles.

I play the Xbox360 almost every day and when I go to buy a multiplatform game, I always get it on the 360 because xbox Live is far superior to the PS3 network.

I turn on the PS3 about once every 2 weeks to watch a Blu Ray. I havent played a game on it for about 8 months.

Keep the 360.

+1 on this

This is down to the developer, not Sony. They decide whether to make trials available or not. Battlefield 1943 and Fat Princess had demos IIRC.

Is the "demo for every game" on the XBLA a Microsoft policy then? It just seems odd that there isn't something like that on the PSN. It's good to hear that some games are now getting demos, but the vast amount have none.
    I would argue that this is not enough to qualify the statement that "Xbox live is light years ahead of the PSN" though.

That wasn't my statement, so I'm not backing it up :). All I'm saying is I do currently like the Xbox/XBLA more...
    WarHawk, Wipeout HD, Gran Turismo Prologue, Fat Princess, Super Stardust HD, Everyday Shooter, any of the PixelJunk games and Flower are just some of the games I own that I would rate very highly.

The available games are probably down to personal taste again - like I said, I much prefer the XBLA games these days. There seems to be quite a difference in the XBLA/PSN exclusives as opposed to the retail games though (which have less and less exclusive titles) so that's a good point for the OP to consider as well.
    I prefer the PSN though that may be because I have used it longer.

I've had the Xbox longer, so maybe that's why I prefer the XBLA browsing system :). Though it has changed massively over time as well.
    though the Marketplace, I have heard somewhere, will be changing to real money transactions soon, no?

Haven't heard anything like that but that would be brilliant, the points system is really the biggest flaw with the XBLA IMO.

Don't get me wrong though, I like the PS3 too, that's why I have one after all (like you, have all 3 consoles, though the Xbox gets the most use for me) but the question here was not if the OP should choose between a PS3 or an Xbox360 directly. The OP already has the Xbox and I just don't see enough benefits for him to try and get a PS3 instead, at an additional cost.

That's just my opinion though :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Thanks to all for your replies, a lot of food for thought but nice problem to have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Live is not better than PSN that is a myth that was put forward when xbox fanboys realised they where paying over 70 euro a year on something PS3 fanboys had for free to justify it to themselves and their weird love of a lump of plastic and wires !!, there is little or no difference between them in fact there is little or no difference between the two consoles anymore. Both are black both cost 300 euro both have 120 gb HD both can download games / arcade games / xbox/ps1 games. Both will soon have films to download which are pretty expensive and dont have the catalogue to back it up.

PS3 pretty much comes ready to go out of the box, so does the xbox but it can require add ons depending on what you want/need wireless adaptor, battery packs, plug and play kits, or just plain AA batteries.

I have both, i like both, i like both controllers. it can take a little time to get used to the other one when you swap but to let that put you off would be silly. Anyone that says one or the other controller is bad is deluded ( thats just personal choice )both are very good. PS have never had to update it because they got it right straight away. Its been the best controller since the PS1, the xbox controller was massive and had to be remade for the xbox 360 which is now also a top notch controller and every bit as good as the PS pad.

Exclusives ? bah, not one is worth getting a console for exclusives, killzone is good but i wouldnt buy a PS3 for it, Halo 3 is one of worst games ever made sorry xbox fanboys but it is, shooting 40 bullets at little gay aliens is not my idea of fun. Little big planet over hyped rubbish, motorstorm average racer. etc etc

Unchartered is good Unchartered 2 should be brilliant. Mass effect is brilliant. gears games are very good.

But really it comes down to playing on line with your mates he has a PS3 so id recomend getting one of them if he had a xbox id recomend sticking put. But the money you would get for trading in the elite may not be worth swapping at all.

• Advertisement

Live is not better than PSN that is a myth that was put forward when xbox fanboys realised they where paying over 70 euro a year

I'd've thought being fanboys they would have got it quite a bit cheaper.

Advertisement