Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XBOX ELITE, sell or switch to PS3?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

tommy21 wrote: »
    Thanks to all for your replies, a lot of food for thought but nice problem to have!

Great problem to have. My observations are

- Multi platform games tend to be better on Xbox
    - I've had the RROD 3 times. Send to microsoft, wait weeks, etc...
    - PS3 broke, store (same store as I bought Xbox) and they just changed it (sony will take care of it after)

Just a bit of food. You don't get the blu ray ect with the xbox, the xbox is a bit louder... But if you want games I prefer the Xbox...

The Xbox is the 'gamers' machine, the wii is the fun casual one and the ps3 is kind of uneasily in the middle.

That is all my OWN slant on it though, many people absolutely swear by their PS3.

Try www.meatcritic.com and see the AAA titles on both, see what you like, they'll usually comment on different platform verisions of games too.

enjoy your gaming!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Great problem to have. My observations are

- Multi platform games tend to be better on Xbox
    - I've had the RROD 3 times. Send to microsoft, wait weeks, etc...
    - PS3 broke, store (same store as I bought Xbox) and they just changed it (sony will take care of it after)

Just a bit of food. You don't get the blu ray ect with the xbox, the xbox is a bit louder... But if you want games I prefer the Xbox...

The Xbox is the 'gamers' machine, the wii is the fun casual one and the ps3 is kind of uneasily in the middle.

That is all my OWN slant on it though, many people absolutely swear by their PS3.

Try www.meatcritic.com and see the AAA titles on both, see what you like, they'll usually comment on different platform verisions of games too.

enjoy your gaming!!!

The decision should be based on two things, what exclusives you'd prefer and how many of your mates have each console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

amacachi wrote: »
    I'd've thought being fanboys they would have got it quite a bit cheaper.

I know, i just had it on my credit card think it was something like 6.99 a month. i know you can get it with some kind of other option but it wasnt something i ever looked into. Its gone completly now along with my job/credit card :D

Still its paying for something that should be free, allthough now ive no spare cash i cant afford to pay it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

OP, in all honesty, keep the 360.

Just casually hint to an other-half/parent/sugar-momma that the PS3 has now dropped in price! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Otacon wrote: »
    OP, in all honesty, keep the 360.

Just casually hint to an other-half/parent/sugar-momma that the PS3 has now dropped in price! :pac:

Xbox dropped today as well! http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i_jqz2mKRWfcnBqSvJOypU08XQyAD9ABB1PG3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭niallith

so rather than starting a whole new thread i thought i would just continue from here, so will all the xbox's be going down in price by 100? eg. the bundles aswell ? because i was going to get one at the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jomz27

I own both and i would say me and my mates rarely using ps3 tbh playing online on xbox is much fun im only using ps3 when i want to play exclusive games like killzone 2, little big planet, infamous, uncharted and resistance 2 these five games is the only games i own on ps3 but they are both good consoles mate you can only tell what you like because of the "exclusive" games really...

i like ps3 because of uncharted
    i like xbox 360 because of gears of war

tommy21 wrote: »
    niallith wrote: »
    so rather than starting a whole new thread i thought i would just continue from here, so will all the xbox's be going down in price by 100? eg. the bundles aswell ? because i was going to get one at the weekend

According to BBC News, the Elite is going down by £30, the Arcade is going up in price (!) and the Pro model is being discontinued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

duploelabs wrote: »
    Games aside, the PS3 is the best blu-ray player on the market. This is because, as it's connected to the internet, it constant downloads all the new firmware and software updates for your player, whereas most of the rest of the players don't

This is incorrect. The PS3 is not the best blu-ray player on the market. It can't bit-stream Dolby True HD. If you're serious about your home theatre set up and have invested heavily in a TV and AV Amp plus speaker package, the PS3 will not be on the list of blu-ray players.

Live is not better than PSN that is a myth that was put forward when xbox fanboys realised they where paying over 70 euro a year on something PS3 fanboys had for free to justify it to themselves and their weird love of a lump of plastic and wires !!, there is little or no difference between them in fact there is little or no difference between the two consoles anymore. Both are black both cost 300 euro both have 120 gb HD both can download games / arcade games / xbox/ps1 games. Both will soon have films to download which are pretty expensive and dont have the catalogue to back it up.

PS3 pretty much comes ready to go out of the box, so does the xbox but it can require add ons depending on what you want/need wireless adaptor, battery packs, plug and play kits, or just plain AA batteries.

I have both, i like both, i like both controllers. it can take a little time to get used to the other one when you swap but to let that put you off would be silly. Anyone that says one or the other controller is bad is deluded ( thats just personal choice )both are very good. PS have never had to update it because they got it right straight away. Its been the best controller since the PS1, the xbox controller was massive and had to be remade for the xbox 360 which is now also a top notch controller and every bit as good as the PS pad.

Exclusives ? bah, not one is worth getting a console for exclusives, killzone is good but i wouldnt buy a PS3 for it, Halo 3 is one of worst games ever made sorry xbox fanboys but it is, shooting 40 bullets at little gay aliens is not my idea of fun. Little big planet over hyped rubbish, motorstorm average racer. etc etc

Unchartered is good Unchartered 2 should be brilliant. Mass effect is brilliant. gears games are very good.

But really it comes down to playing on line with your mates he has a PS3 so id recomend getting one of them if he had a xbox id recomend sticking put. But the money you would get for trading in the elite may not be worth swapping at all.
    Good post apart from the highlighted part. The PS pad was not right from day one and it's still wrong. I'm very fussy about my game pads. Sony's refusal to evolve it is just annoying.
    Basically at the end of the day it comes down to which exclusive games takes your fancy. They're both good consoles. PS hardware design is much better, MS's controller is much better. Games are by and large equal, choose one and be happy!

• Advertisement

Biro wrote: »
    Sony's refusal to evolve it is just annoying.

They did evolve it. They made the boomarang controller and were inundated with bad reactions to it. They went back to the original [with added six-axis motion control]

Personally, I like the PS3 pad but the 360 pad is better for FPS games.
    This is incorrect. The PS3 is not the best blu-ray player on the market. It can't bit-stream Dolby True HD. If you're serious about your home theatre set up and have invested heavily in a TV and AV Amp plus speaker package, the PS3 will not be on the list of blu-ray players.

Actually the PS3 Slim can IIRC.

Good post apart from the highlighted part. The PS pad was not right from day one and it's still wrong. I'm very fussy about my game pads. Sony's refusal to evolve it is just annoying.
    Basically at the end of the day it comes down to which exclusive games takes your fancy. They're both good consoles. PS hardware design is much better, MS's controller is much better. Games are by and large equal, choose one and be happy!

That is just personal taste really though isnt it ? rather than they got it wrong, i love it i still love it i cant think of any way they could improve it.

But in saying that i prefer the xbox controller for slower games Ghost recons fallout etc but for pro evo the PS controller is the only one, ive gone as far as getting a adaptor that aloud me to use my old PS2 controller on my old xbox because the console was miles ahead but i couldnt use the controller for pro evo at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Thanks all for responses! It should arrive this week, will let you know my eventual decision :)

That is just personal taste really though isnt it ? rather than they got it wrong, i love it i still love it i cant think of any way they could improve it.

But in saying that i prefer the xbox controller for slower games Ghost recons fallout etc but for pro evo the PS controller is the only one, ive gone as far as getting a adaptor that aloud me to use my old PS2 controller on my old xbox because the console was miles ahead but i couldnt use the controller for pro evo at all.
    Well, not really. The analog sticks are placed at a poor angle compared to the grips, the reason for this is they were an after thought. The original PS controller had none, and Sony countered Nintendo's 64 controller design (a fantastic controller) with their Analog controller with dual-shock. That's the core problem. The other problem is that the input from the sticks aren't as accurate as the other two competitors. For instance, I had a PS1 and 2 and never could get comfortable with the sticks. After a while of play you'd get a cramp at the joint of the thumb, because it was stretched at an awkward angle to use the sticks. Also if on a driving game for example, and on a really long straight in a quick car, the constant tiny inputs required to keep the car straight cause even the tinyest input would over correct was annoying.
    Compare that to the Gamecube controller, fits more naturally into the hand, same with the 360 (probably cause I reckon they copied the Gamecube one!!). Both of those controllers are very easy to use and it's easier to use minor inputs for racing games etc.
    I'm unbiased, cause I've owned plenty of consoles from all 3 manufacturers (never owned a Sega!!), and the Sony one needs changing. Even if it's to move one analog stick to replace the D-pad. That would be enough.

Well, not really. The analog sticks are placed at a poor angle compared to the grips, the reason for this is they were an after thought. The original PS controller had none, and Sony countered Nintendo's 64 controller design (a fantastic controller) with their Analog controller with dual-shock. That's the core problem. The other problem is that the input from the sticks aren't as accurate as the other two competitors. For instance, I had a PS1 and 2 and never could get comfortable with the sticks. After a while of play you'd get a cramp at the joint of the thumb, because it was stretched at an awkward angle to use the sticks. Also if on a driving game for example, and on a really long straight in a quick car, the constant tiny inputs required to keep the car straight cause even the tinyest input would over correct was annoying.
    Compare that to the Gamecube controller, fits more naturally into the hand, same with the 360 (probably cause I reckon they copied the Gamecube one!!). Both of those controllers are very easy to use and it's easier to use minor inputs for racing games etc.
    I'm unbiased, cause I've owned plenty of consoles from all 3 manufacturers (never owned a Sega!!), and the Sony one needs changing. Even if it's to move one analog stick to replace the D-pad. That would be enough.

God no thats the worst thing that could happen that for me is the best thing about the PS controller. I hate to use the sticks for pro evo so i need to use the d-pad the xbox d-pad is up on a stalk so it impossible to use for pro evo as you could be running down the wing next thing he just jumps off the pitch :eek:. for games that i use the sticks with i like where they are its very comfortable for me anyway.

See again its all just personal taste the PS3 controller is perfect for me i find it the most comfortable for games i need to get around the controller quickly with.

I can use both controllers with ease, now if you where talking about the PSP then i could understand how you would get pains in your thumbs but the only way you would get pains from a PS3 controller is if you have shovels for hands :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've always hated the PS controller. It standardised 4 face buttons when 6 is the magic number, the analog sticks are in an uncomfortable position and not very responsive, it's too small and the d-pad is only better in the ****ness stakes by the 360's woeful d-pad. The d-pad is the main offender, I can get used to the other things but the d-pad hasn't been changed in 3 iterations and it still sucks. The triggers on the PS3 pad are also nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

duploelabs wrote: »
    Games aside, the PS3 is the best blu-ray player on the market. This is because, as it's connected to the internet, it constant downloads all the new firmware and software updates for your player, whereas most of the rest of the players don't

You should do your research. The PS3 was the best BD player or close to the best in it's price segment. But that time has passed. Although the new PS3 slim can actually bitstream hd audio now it's only playing catchup with other standalone players. And new players from Samsung, Panasonic and even Sony's new BD360 have passed it out in terms of video and audio performance plus connectivity. They are also a hell of a lot quieter than the PS3 which is important to some home cinema enthusiasts. Also, all these players offer internet connection and the samsung is even wireless. So the PS3 has lost that advantage too. I won't link to anything, but you can check out avforums for most of this information. I only have a PS3 as I want it for games 1st, and BD 2nd. If I just wanted a BD player, I'd get a Sony BD360 or even a BD350 for under 200 euro.

Advertisement