Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband Alternatives?

Options
  • 26-08-2009 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hey guys,

I'm currently an irish broadband customer in D14 on their breeze 2mb service and I'm looking into changing provider. I'm not getting the speeds I should be and looking around it seems that their prices are no longer competitive against the market.

From what I can see from a quick look about it seems that UPC have a good 10MB service which seems to be available in my area. Has anyone had experience with this?

Are there other deals/packages that are good that people could recommend?

I'd really appreciate any input.

Cheers

TechKnow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

I didn't think Irish Broadband still offered a 2mb Breeze service...
    As far as I know, they scrapped everything below 4mb on the Breeze network, and upgraded everyone on 1,2,3mb

The only 2mb service that Irish broadband still provide is Ripwave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 techknow

daffy_duc wrote: »
    I didn't think Irish Broadband still offered a 2mb Breeze service...
    As far as I know, they scrapped everything below 4mb on the Breeze network, and upgraded everyone on 1,2,3mb

The only 2mb service that Irish broadband still provide is Ripwave.

if that's the case then I should just ring them up and ask for my service to be upgraded. As far as I know I'm paying the price for 4mb or equivalent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

techknow wrote: »
    if that's the case then I should just ring them up and ask for my service to be upgraded. As far as I know I'm paying the price for 4mb or equivalent.

While your asking, can you ask around for the Wimax upgrade?

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    While your asking, can you ask around for the Wimax upgrade?

sure I'll see what I can get out of them on the subject

Cool cool..on that note an engineer from Irish broadband is coming round to my house later to do a upgrade..ill post back if anything is worth mentioning.

• Advertisement

Cool cool..on that note an engineer from Irish broadband is coming round to my house later to do a upgrade..ill post back if anything is worth mentioning.

Were you on 2mb as well? There seems to be only 1 breeze package now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

They shouldn't have to call out to you to do an upgrade, as far as i know they can do it remotely.

Achilles wrote: »
    They shouldn't have to call out to you to do an upgrade, as far as i know they can do it remotely.

Presumably it's limited by the dish itself and the black POE box it uses.

To be honest the engineer was a bit vague..he said he would have to access my laptop..and plug in a few wires..im not that sure..

worse case scenario i'll cancel irish broadband and get chorus ntl 10MB installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

techknow wrote: »
    Presumably it's limited by the dish itself and the black POE box it uses.
    To be honest the engineer was a bit vague..he said he would have to access my laptop..and plug in a few wires..im not that sure..

worse case scenario i'll cancel irish broadband and get chorus ntl 10MB installed.

I wouldn't have thought so. There's nothing on your own computer that limits the speed, it's all done remote from you. There shouldn't be any equipment change either, unless your's is very very old, and has been superseded, but I'd doubt that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

daffy_duc wrote:

Nope - I'm in Wicklow on the 2Mb Breeze and never got an upgrade. Still paying the cheaper price for it and when I asked them about upgrading me they said I'd have to start a new 12 month contract, so I told them to forget it. I've been hoping they would upgrade me as I'm willing to pay the extra but am not willing to start a new 12 month contract just for them to change the QoS settings for my account.

BigMoose wrote: »
    Nope - I'm in Wicklow on the 2Mb Breeze and never got an upgrade. Still paying the cheaper price for it and when I asked them about upgrading me they said I'd have to start a new 12 month contract, so I told them to forget it. I've been hoping they would upgrade me as I'm willing to pay the extra but am not willing to start a new 12 month contract just for them to change the QoS settings for my account.

I just got off the phone with the engineer. Asked him about the upgrade to wimax and he said it was being tested at the moment to be rolled out in the coming months to the Dublin area first. I'm on the 2mb at the moment and not paying as much as I thought I was though it's only 2 euro more for UPC's 10mb line without TV. I think next time I'm onto them I might just play that card and ask for an upgrade.

Apparently my box hadn't been restarted in 3 months and that could have caused slower speeds (I dunno). It's been restarted now so I'll try it this evening to see if it's made a difference.

Advertisement