Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broke up with the girlfriend - need her name off the Deed

Options
  • 26-08-2009 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

I broke up with my gf and we have a house together, She is no longer living there or paying her half of the mortgage, well she hasent paid her half in over a year, where do I stand in getting her off the deed and also
    that should she stiil be paying her half until name is removed??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

stevef28 wrote: »
    Hi,

I broke up with my gf and we have a house together, She is no longer living there or paying her half of the mortgage, well she hasent paid her half in over a year, where do I stand in getting her off the deed and also
    that should she stiil be paying her half until name is removed??

Solicitor, solicitor, solicitor.

He or she will tell you where you stand with regards the mortgage and her non-payment. You will in all likelihood have to buy her out if you plan to keep the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Chinafoot wrote: »

He or she will tell you where you stand with regards the mortgage and her non-payment. You will in all likelihood have to buy her out if you plan to keep the house.

That of course would probably mean you would be paying her less than she paid for her half and she might not like that. You might not be able to get a further mortgage to finance the buyout. You will have to inform the mortgage company. It will depend on how long you have the place and how much of the mortgage she has paid overall.

As stated you need to talk to a solicitor and leaving it longer is not a good idea you may end up feeling you have paid more than she has for the same share.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Charles1412

HI THERE I AM IN A SIMILAR SITUATION AND HINK UR FIRST STEP IS TO GET LEGAL ADVICE. AS REGARDS UR GIRLFRIEND NOT MAKING PAYMENTS TOWARDS THE MORTGAGE SHE IS LEGALLY OBLIGATED TO PAY HER HALF HAVING ENTERED INTO A CONTRACT TO DO SO WHEN U TOOK OUT THE MORTGAGE. YOU NEED TO BOTH GET VALUATIONS DONE ON THE PROPERTY AND THEN BASED ON WHETHER OR NOT THERE IS POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE EQUITY IN THE PROPERTY THIS WOULD BE THE BASIS FOR DECIDING ON THE "BUY OUT FIGURE"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Trampas

Chinafoot wrote: »

+1

when I bought my house with my other half we got a contract drawn up for this kind of thing. thankfully we haven't had to use it.

apart from the house the furniture etc will need to be split up also

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Paddyontherun

As other posters have advised get a solr. There are also stamp duty implications for removing her name off the deed so it will cost you. approx 50% of what normal stamp duty should be based on the value of your house. Sorry to land this on you in an obvious tough time

• Advertisement
Advertisement