Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US citizen wanting to move to Ireland (de facto)

Options
  • 26-08-2009 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi,

I am a US citizen and have been in a relationship with my partner who is an Irish citizen for 1 year. I want to move there to be with her and I know the process of getting the de facto permission to remain and all that and that we have to be together for 2 years to apply, etc. Since we have been in a long distance relationship for the duration of the year, would I be able to go to Ireland in July and apply for permission to remain as a visitor that would result in a stamp 3 for 6 months, which in that 6 months I'd be living with my partner, helping her pay the bills, getting my address changed to her home, etc. and then once the 6 months visitor permission to remain is up, would I be able to apply for the de facto so that the stamp 3 would be changed to a stamp 4? I have proof of our long distance year long relationship, such as phone records, airlines tickets, pictures, etc. but I just was curious if I could go to Ireland on a visitor permission to remain and when we are together for 2 years, apply for the de facto. Please let me know if anyone has any info! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Do you plan on getting married? Unless things have changed in the last couple of years, that would solve your problems; my US husband came as a normal "tourist" without a visa to get married to me in Dublin. He stated his intent to do so and remain in Ireland to the customs agent and that was no problem. We got married a month later, went to the Alien's Office on the quay's a couple of days later with our marriage certificate, and he got a 10 year "Irish green card" wich allowed him to work and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭sophie4187

No, there is no intent on getting married for the time being. The DOJ just recently added the "de facto" permission to remain for partners of Irish citizens that are not EEU.. if you have been in a relationship for 2 years and can provide evidence of the relationship then you are given a stamp 4 which allows you to work and live legally in Ireland. I was just wondering if I could go as a visitor and apply for permission to remain, stamp 3 until we have been together for 2 years and then apply for the de facto. That way, I'd have proof of us living together, etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 je55ika

Ehm, I'm American too, and moved here for my Irish boyfriend. I came on the automatic 3 months tourism you get and got them to extend it while i was applying for a work permit (not easy; i'm not gonna lie, there were some tears shed). When that fell through, I started a postgrad course and stayed here on a stamp 2, and now just recently applied for de facto stamp 4 and got it. Just be careful to do everything above board and legally because it will matter when it comes to that decision. But yes, you can come over--and as long as you're able to find a way to stay legally until your 2 years are done, there shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the reply :) I think that I am going to apply for a Working Holiday Visa which will allow me to stay in Ireland and casually work for up to 12 months. By then, we'll have been together for 2 1/2 years, living together for 1 of those years. Luckily I've kept proof of our relationship since it began, even if it has been long distance. I've visited once, planning on going back in March for 3 weeks and she's coming here in 3 weeks for a week. We will then spend New Years together in Boston. I plan on going to Chicago to apply for the Working Holiday Visa so I don't have to mail in my passport- Hoping that I can move there in July and then get my De Facto visa :) How long did it take for them to approve it? What kind of things did you send in with your application?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Feckin hell, is that all that's involved? Ye lads just have to live here legally for 2 years and you can get a visa?

I wish the U.S. were as generous as the E.U. when it came to visas :( More or less impossible to get a U.S. visa and a Canadian one can take up to 3 years to get and you can only be there legally for 1 year unless you get sponsored or get a student visa and pay mental college fees!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

If your Both female, i doubt your proof of relationship would work in ireland, Just saying.

I'd contact Your Closest Irish Embassy tbh.

I know it's tough for anyone to come here, trust me. I'm not proud of it. Many of my girlfriend's family have tried and tried to come to the US legally but end up either not coming or coming illegally. It's not something I'm proud of and I can't figure out why people actually want to live here and think we are the best country, yada yada yada, just my opinion. Anyway, yes as of about a year ago, same sex partners of Irish citizens are allowed the de facto.. Ireland started recognizing same sex relationships, thank God. Many people who were from South Africa, America, and New Zealand that had Irish partners were given a stamp 4 through the de facto visa.. if interested, see link: http://www.queerid.com/topic.aspx?topicid=17207

Advertisement