Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2009 Belgian GP.

• 27-08-2009 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭

Just after watching the classic Belgian GPs on BBCs Red Button, and really starting to get excited for this race. A thriller almost every year! And off-track, the focus still on Raikkonen/Alonso/Massa all apparently driving for Ferrari next year.

Anyone think we're gonna see any announcements this race, or will we have to wait til Monza?

According to James Allen, he thinks Rosberg is signed, sealed and delivered as McLaren driver no.2 Link

On track, I think the battle will be down to McLaren/Red Bull and Kimi this weekend. Hopefully Kimi for me anyway, despite the news that Ferrari have officially abandoned development of the F60.

Thoughts for the weekend anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Unless it's raining (fingers crossed) I'd say it'll be a snorefest after the first couple of laps. Brawns should be happy to get in the top 6.

Badoer still in the Ferrari for the weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

yeah Badoer is confirmed.

I hope he does well, I have a soft spot for him, probably because he was in F1 when I started watching, and theres very few of them left!

Interestingly, Ferrari only have one driver change allowed for the rest of the year. If they announce something that pisses off Raikkonen at Monza, and Massa is unable to return, what are Ferrari going to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

ottostreet wrote: »
    yeah Badoer is confirmed.

I hope he does well,

Stop waisting you time hoping - he wont! He never had what it takes to be a top driver and he certainly didnt have it last weekend.

With regards to the race, expect the Redbulls to be alot stronger at spa. If their engines hold up, they should have a good race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

ottostreet wrote: »
    Interestingly, Ferrari only have one driver change allowed for the rest of the year. If they announce something that pisses off Raikkonen at Monza, and Massa is unable to return, what are Ferrari going to do!

Bend the rules ;)

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    You always hope that Spa will turn out to be a cracking race due the track, but it usually isnt. That said it probably will be better than most of the newly designed tracks races.

Can't be much worse than them anyway. Let alone anything else the fact that a lot of the new tracks are in areas where it won't rain ruins them.

• Advertisement

Always think when watching/reading about old races just how good was Martin Brundle?

They're showing the 1995 Belgian GP now, an absolute classic.

amacachi wrote: »
    Always think when watching/reading about old races just how good was Martin Brundle?

They're showing the 1994 Belgian GP now, an absolute classic.

Did you follow F1 back in his day? Because he never impressed me as anything other than average but amiable.

Has is an amazing driver, their was a nice thread on here a while ago where somebody (not saying who) said he was useless. He won pretty alot of classes except in F1. He even managed to push Senna all the way to the last race in F3000.
    Yeah, even in F1 the only teammates who really beat him were Schumacher and Senna, and he wasn't all that far behind them when you compare how others did against those drivers.
    Moonbaby wrote: »
    Did you follow F1 back in his day? Because he never impressed me as anything other than average but amiable.

I started watching in 94/95, I was only 6 and by that stage Brundle was already down with the lower-grid teams.

To be fair, that is when I started watching too.

I have this internet forum bud, who has every f1 race since the late 60's recorded.
    The sooner he sets himself up with some kind of piratebay situation.
    So we can actually judge for ourselves, the better.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    To be fair, that is when I started watching too.

I have this internet forum bud, who has every f1 race since the late 60's recorded.
    The sooner he sets himself up with some kind of piratebay situation.
    So we can actually judge for ourselves, the better.
    Too ****in right. Said it before but I really don't get why FOM don't do full Season DVDs. Publishing costs **** all now.
    And even then he beat them on more than a few occasions.

Yup, when you compare him to Schumi in 92 ya also have to wonder if he hadn't had such a disastrous start would the team have been slightly more biased towards him. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Formula_One_season#1992_Drivers_Championship_final_standings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Has is an amazing driver, their was a nice thread on here a while ago where somebody (not saying who) said he was useless. He won pretty alot of classes except in F1. He even managed to push Senna all the way to the last race in F3000.

hmmm.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 lendrew1

Yeah, Brundle was one of the unluckiest drivers in F1, he always seemed to be in the wrong place in the wrong time.
    He always seems to be quite modest about himself despite the fact he was only genuinely beaten by Senna and Schumi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

Can't be much worse than them anyway. Let alone anything else the fact that a lot of the new tracks are in areas where it won't rain ruins them.

I seem to remember that there was a light drizzle in Malaysia this year ;)

kierank01 wrote: »
    I seem to remember that there was a light drizzle in Malaysia this year ;)

Like I said, "a lot". Don't think there's much chance of a monsoon at the latest addition of Abu Dhabi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

In terms of the race, what are the bookies offering on Button to Bottle the start again.

From BBC:
    "I've just lost so many points because I've been in the wrong position and I've not been able to overtake," Button added.

"If you look at the last race, I didn't qualify very well and then, on Sunday, if I had stayed inside Vettel [off the start] I would have broken my front wing and wrecked his race as well.

"It's not a case of having a conservative approach but I think we need to do something different with strategy that doesn't put me in a position around cars that are fighting me for the championship."

Bullllllll **** Jenson. You've let everyone past you the past 4 starts. Grow a pair and start barging. If you crash out and lose the 1 point you'd have scraped, then it's a loss. If you keep your place and get 8 or 10 points then it's a much bigger win. And he's not going to win this year unless he starts getting more aggressive.

Meh, he can lose three points a race to Rubens, all he needs to do is consistently finish in the top 5/6 and the title is his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Bend the rules ;)
    Marc Gene!!! :P

Red Storm wrote: »
    Marc Gene!!! :P

An Italian in by Monza(Fisichella?).

Drivers are using this i cant overtake excuse allot now, its like they all believe its harder to overtake now so they dont even try, and have the perfect excuse. They end up being too conservative, far to many cars are finishing races get stuck in.
    Button dont finish a race and say you were stuck behind slower cars force a move, at least let us see you trying and stop being so conservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭delta720

Button dont finish a race and say you were stuck behind slower cars force a move, at least let us see you trying and stop being so conservative.

Force a move!? In fairness im sure he was trying very hard! And he even posted in a few fastest laps near the end of the race, I'm no F1 driver but from what i can tell forcing a move will get you in too deep and just lose you more time. Unfortunately these days in F1 you just gotta wait for the driver infront to make a mistake.

Anyway back on topic, I'm flying out to Brussels tomorrow morning!!:D:D

Drivers are using this i cant overtake excuse allot now, its like they all believe its harder to overtake now so they dont even try, and have the perfect excuse. They end up being too conservative, far to many cars are finishing races get stuck in.

Hard to force a move from a second back with the tiny breaking distances involved.

• Advertisement

delta720 wrote: »

**** you. :P

Force a move!? In fairness im sure he was trying very hard! And he even posted in a few fastest laps near the end of the race, I'm no F1 driver but from what i can tell forcing a move will get you in too deep and just lose you more time. Unfortunately these days in F1 you just gotta wait for the driver infront to make a mistake.

I'm sure he was trying hard too.
    How much time did he loose stuck in traffic?
    No point in setting fastest laps at the end when everyone has pitted and are spread out.
    Force a move make it stick and then start doing quick laps, easer said than done i know!
    Hard to force a move from a second back with the tiny breaking distances involved.

Then he shouldn't complain that he is being held up if he is staying back 1 sec so he is in the clean air, thats his choice.

I'm not saying be reckless but at some point you have to either force a move if a slower car in front is wreaking your race.

I know its harder now, the front wing is easy to loose, Valencia doesn't give many opportunities to try something, and its easy for me to say but it seams like all the drivers would rather play it safe rather than take a risk these days.

If he took a risk last week and it payed off he would be in a better position now, and if he crashed out or lost a wing he wouldn't be in much worse of a position.

Back on topic, A light sprinkling of rain please spa weather gods.

Then he shouldn't complain that he is being held up if he is staying back 1 sec so he is in the clean air, thats his choice.

The air is turbulent to 0.7/0.8 of a second back, yeah they're in clear air but one decent corner and they're in the dirty air and will fall back more.

The air is turbulent to 0.7/0.8 of a second back, yeah they're in clear air but one decent corner and they're in the dirty air and will fall back more.

Well you wont pass without going into the dirty air.

I really don't wanna sound like a smart arse writing this but...

The thing is the air 1 second back isn't 'clean'. The very fact your driving in 'dirty' air prevents you from getting closer than about .8 seconds during most stages of a lap. Driving in 'clean' air is when you have a pure clear track infront of you. It's not a case of getting a 'hit' of clean air and then making a daring move on a slower car infront of you. It used to be the case that your car had to be at least 2 seconds a lap faster than the car infront to make a pass when your stuck in the mid-field in a competative car, I'm not sure what it is now with the new rear wings, slightly less I'm sure.
    :o

Well you wont pass without going into the dirty air.

Yeah I know, but it's next to impossible to follow closer than a second through a corner, so the only chance to get past is a massive mistake followed by a long, wide straight into a heavy braking area. If it were possible to pass they'd be doing it.

Yeah I know, but it's next to impossible to follow closer than a second through a corner, so the only chance to get past is a massive mistake followed by a long, wide straight into a heavy braking area. If it were possible to pass they'd be doing it.

And theres me thinking I was the only person from Dundalk who liked F1!!:p

The problem is not making moves during the race, it's giving positions away for nothing at the start. At silverstone, he claimed he couldn't get around either side of Trulli, which was marginal at best. At valencia he just sat on the grid and let people walk all over him. He got 2 points by being a cautious little bunny. He SHOULD have had 6 or 8. He won't win this by getting 3,4,5 points every race. He has to win, or at least outscore his rivals every race. The "every point counts" mantra means "go for that extra point every time" not "only score one and you're ok."

Another point made recently about overtaking is that because the field is so tight (couple of hundredths a second), there isn't the performance gap between the frontrunners and the midfield/backmarkers that there used to be. We might complain about some teams having "crap" cars this year, but in the 80's there were performance gaps in multiple seconds. It's not difficult to overtake a guy that's a second slower than you when his car isn't throwing up turbulance that makes yours skate off the track.

I really don't wanna sound like a smart arse writing this but...

The thing is the air 1 second back isn't 'clean'. The very fact your driving in 'dirty' air prevents you from getting closer than about .8 seconds during most stages of a lap. Driving in 'clean' air is when you have a pure clear track infront of you. It's not a case of getting a 'hit' of clean air and then making a daring move on a slower car infront of you. It used to be the case that your car had to be at least 2 seconds a lap faster than the car infront to make a pass when your stuck in the mid-field in a competative car, I'm not sure what it is now with the new rear wings, slightly less I'm sure.
    :o

Your right none of the air is clean but staying 1 sec back saved his front tyres, the closer he gets the more he slides messing up the tyres. He chose to stay back, so why is he complaining. He has his 6deg adjustment on the front wing :pac:

Anyway i dont want to be getting on Button too much there all doing this.
    If they dont make a move at the start they just settle in behind and fall into the trap of following the car in front instead of pushing them into a mistake or make a move and i know this isn't the right thing to do all the time but it is sometimes and sometimes the right thing is to follow and do the fast laps later.

Its the complaining, i couldn't get past when they chose to wait that is annoying.

@Slutmonkey57b Thats what I'm talking about too stay inside Vettel force him to move to save his wing,take a chance stop thinking too much about finishing in the points. You do have to be smart about finishing in the points but dont get pushed around.

I dont expect any difference in overtaking i know its almost impossible and I'm being totally unreasonable.

• Advertisement

And theres me thinking I was the only person from Dundalk who liked F1!!:p
    Live and learn eh? :P
    The problem is not making moves during the race, it's giving positions away for nothing at the start. At silverstone, he claimed he couldn't get around either side of Trulli, which was marginal at best. At valencia he just sat on the grid and let people walk all over him. He got 2 points by being a cautious little bunny. He SHOULD have had 6 or 8. He won't win this by getting 3,4,5 points every race. He has to win, or at least outscore his rivals every race. The "every point counts" mantra means "go for that extra point every time" not "only score one and you're ok."

If he gets 5 points a race then Rubens has to average 8 points a race to draw level with him. Two top two finishes and the rest 6th or better and he wins the title.

If he gets 5 points a race then Rubens has to average 8 points a race to draw level with him. Two top two finishes and the rest 6th or better and he wins the title.

He has it in the bag as long as he finishes in the points and a couple of good results its over.

He has it in the bag as long as he finishes in the points and a couple of good results its over.

Easier said than done! Kimi '07!

I hopeing for a couple of DNF's maybe a win from Webber this weekend...:D

If he takes my overtaking advice we will get a DNF or too! :pac:
    Engines could be a factor as they use them up toward the end of the season. Vettel is in trouble any way.

He can't afford "one or two" good results, and it's by no means in the bag. He is two wins away from losing. Valencia, he was *barely* able to scrape points and I'd argue he didn't deserve them, and that was with a car that was the fastest on the grid. The next few races aren't going to be as hot. What will he do then? He's looking at 2 races with no points, rubens wins two, or webber wins two, and where is he? Buggered. He's throwing it away.

More to the point, his rivals now know he can be bullied out of position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

Im hoping for a Red Bull 1-2 this weekend with vettel taking the win and the brawns following them in the points, would love to get to the last race and have a 4 horse race between the red bull and brawn drivers, would certainly make things interesting.

• Advertisement

How the hell are there cars running around the (extremely green) track right now within 1-2 seconds of last year's fastest time in Quali 2? So much for slowing the cars down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Yeah sky sports are touting fisi as getting the ferrari seat till seasons end. Would be a nice thing at his career stage for the guy and at least he isnt afraid to stamp on the throttle.

Agree with you there re button, his comment about the risk of damaging his or Vettels car was utter bollocks, Schumacher, Hamilton, Alonso, Hakkinen, Raikkonen, Senna, Prost and pretty much any driver with a pair of balls says "**** you anyway, i'm overtaking"... Stick Nico Rosberg in the Brawn for a race and see what happens, no kers in that or the Williams and he still makes 2 or 3 off the start. Button will most likely be champion and god forgive me for saying this but i do think he deserves it.. Plugging away for 8 or 9 seasons now and only got his first win in '06.. Webber deserves one too, probably more than Button but i think at 33 its this year or never for Mark.. C'mon the Red Bull at Spa!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Although I am fairly sure a red bull will win this weekend, i think an each way bet on Kimi @ 10-1 would be a good bet.

With regards to Badoer- please Ferrari take him out of the car asap! Go out on a limb and give some young gun a chance and let Luca get on with his retirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Please God please...let Kimi win this weekend!

25 races without a win, but right on the pace today. Hamilton & Raikkonen right up front today..heres hoping!

Engine change for Webber before qualifying. So not just Vettel then!

• Advertisement

Come on Fisichella!

I am absolutely ****in delighted, fantastic to see!

What on EARTH is going on this year!! Mind boggling quali.

Complete mirror image for Brawn compared to the start of the year - Rubens quietly getting on with it, doing what needs to be done when he needs to do it. Button flailing around, looking for some excuse to grab hold of, performances all over the place. At least he won't have to worry about having a poor start since they'll probably one stop him from there and hope he doesn't get overtaken by Badoer in his Kers equipped ferrari!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Jaysus Stefano Domenicali must have been standing at the finish line with a little contract in his hand to get that out of Fisi.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Irishshin

That was one brilliant qualifying session!
    So glad for Fisi :D

Great session, Delighted for Fisichella. :D
    It will be interesting to see the fuel loads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Cool result, can't wait for the race

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

jaysus. :eek:

What on EARTH is going on this year!! Mind boggling quali.

Complete mirror image for Brawn compared to the start of the year - Rubens quietly getting on with it, doing what needs to be done when he needs to do it. Button flailing around, looking for some excuse to grab hold of, performances all over the place. At least he won't have to worry about having a poor start since they'll probably one stop him from there and hope he doesn't get overtaken by Badoer in his Kers equipped ferrari!

Did you hear Button after the session?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Go on Fisi! Button looked wrecked afterwards, compare him to Ham who hardly seemed to have broken a sweat.

BTW - anyone know what that song was that BBC played out with?

c

• Advertisement
Advertisement