Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Georgian Swords

• 27-08-2009 12:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, just thought I'd share a few swords (or should I say relic swords :p) from my collection. The 1798 period is of great interest to me, and thus, whenever possible I try pick up items from this period. Although they have no direct connection to the events, they were the particular pattern swords used at the time.

The first one is the latest to the collection, its an officers variant of the 'Pattern 1796 Light Cavalry Sabre'. Unfortunately as you can see in the pictures below she's in a some what sorry state, neither time, nor care has been on her side (but I suppose if I looked like that after 200+ years I wouldnt be complaining! :p).

101_0415.jpg

This sword would have been made sometime between 1796 and 1821. Its clearly an officers version as it has some finer details and little extras that you wouldnt find on the regular 'troopers' version. Basically, the officer could pay to have his sword made privately, and thus could specify specific engravings, styles etc that he wished, as long as the sword kept within regulation.

Some of the features can be seen below:

The 'backstrap' which came up behind the grip is whats known here as 'multi-sided', ie it has a number of flats, and into those flats have been punched, or cut series of little indents, these are pretty unusual!

101_0412.jpg

The knucklebow (to protect the hand or also act as an effective 'knuckle duster' is also multisided, and again on the flat you can see the indent pattern continued:

101_0406.jpg

Also note in the photo above the wire binding around the grip, three strands of silver wire.

Again the indent pattern continues onto the langet:
    101_0402.jpg
    101_0414.jpg

Its a real real pity that this sword hasnt been looked after, unfortunately the blade is too badly stained and pitted to make out if there were any engravings, which, in all likelyhood there were given that it was an officers sword. It would have had a number of engravings of stands of arms, foliage, the roya crest etc all done in gilt and the area around the engraving a bright, vibrant metallic blue, like the image below:

cs37a.jpg

But alas, I can only look and wonder how she might have been in her glory days! :o

I'll get some images of the Troopers P'1796 up shortly to show the differences.

Advertisement