Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

books that changed your outlook on life

Options
  • 27-08-2009 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

For me i read catcher in the rye when i was young and when i finished it i just sat there with the book closed...so upset i was finished, i tried to forget the whole thing so i could start again!:o

so what books changed the way you look or think about things....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

cannery row

Zen and the art of motorcycle maintence

Richard bach's books

Tales of the city

Some sci-fi ones, were very though provoking

Robert fisk

Trainspotting

So many had an impact in so many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

chats wrote: »
    For me i read catcher in the rye when i was young and when i finished it i just sat there with the book closed...so upset i was finished, i tried to forget the whole thing so i could start again!:o

so what books changed the way you look or think about things....

How did it change they way you thought exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I've yet to read such a wonderful book, but 'The Doors of Perception' by Huxley was filled with some completely new ideas that had never entered my head before. It changed the way I thought about certain things... but not my outlook on life.

I think it would almost be a bad thing if some book changed your outlook on life to such a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

I came in here to post Catcher in the Rye and OP beat me to it. Holden Caulfield was a legend . I couldnt believe i was reading such a cool book in school. Made me want to smoke at 13 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists. Robert Tressell.

Brilliant book thats seems so relevant in these recession times. My father handed it to me with an enthusiastic smile.
    The book sticks up for the working class and gives two fingers to the ruling class and the church. :D

Highly entertaining and thought provoking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer (Pseudonym).

Despite a few criticisms it is generally believed to be a true account of a young German soldier in World War II. I can't really articulate my feelings on the book but it certainly made me appreciate a lot more things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 tickledhoney

Wild Swans by Jung Chang

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Cancer Ward by Solzhenitsyn.

It gave me hope at a time when I really depressed. It just made me realise that everybody goes through **** in life and your life will never go the way you want it to but it can still be an enjoyable and exciting experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

Football Grounds of Europe - Simon Inglis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Primo Levi - If This is a Man

Give it to someone who whinges and moans about the little annoying niggly things in life. It'll put a lot in perspective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 teamB_macro

Somehow I just didn't finish Catcher in the Rye. I thought I wouldn't like how it'll end, so i just gave it up. But anyway, To Kill a Mockingbird is one book that made me realize that life is not painted in black and white. There are so many gray areas where the concepts of fairness and justice are compromised. Yeah and scifi too mostly be Arthur C. Clarke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

page 3

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

Wild Swans by Jung Chang

Just bought that book, going to start reading it after I finish my current one. A lot of pages to get through, hope it's worth it!

A book that really opened my eyes was 'Man's search for meaning' by Victor Frankl. He was a holocaust survivor. He describes how people can find meaning and happiness in their lives even in the most awful of circumstances, and how a need to find fulfillment in life is central to one's happiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

On The Road
    The Doors - A Guide
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭cbmonstra

Catch 22 (my favourite :))

Brave New World

One Hundred Years of Solitude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭REPSOC1916

A.J. Ayer's Language, Truth and Logic. Having been an existentialist before reading that book; for me it was the equivalent of havien been blinded by cateracts before hand, stuck harshly on the head and then being able to see clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Red Tempest

The mystery of the crystal skulls - wow, just, wow. Taught me that things don't have to be true to be real

A child called It - never complained about my childhood EVER again

The Bible - destroyed my faith in institutionalised religion, strengthened my faith in God

The history of western philosophy - you can feel the doors being opened in your brain!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mSe265

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Neil gaimens neverwhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 wauners

On the road

Homage to Catalonia

Ham on Rye

Junkie

• Registered Users Posts: 13 King-of-mice

life of pi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

On The Road

clichés I guess, but they did the job, and by reading posts above, they did so for others too :P, and remain 2 of my favourite books ever.

...and anything by Alan Watts

Also, stories/adventures of celtic/irish/english mythology, like the adventures of King Arthur or Finn McCool had a huge impact on me as a child, and helped shape the person I am today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

+1 on Alan Watts, but the first I read was called 'The Tao of Philosophy'

• Registered Users Posts: 26 thebadmonkey

"Shake Hands with the Devil" by Gen Romeo Daillaire. I dont think a book has ever filled me with as many different emotions in one sitting..rage, grief, sorrow, disbelief, anger.....certainly an eye opener to how the UN makes important decisions and why the world can stand by and let genocide happen. There's two good documentaries too that could be watched after it, can see it on youtube.."Ghosts of Rwanda" and "Shake Hands with the Devil"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists. Robert Tressell.
    Wild Swans by Jung Chang

Loved these two.

Also Life and Death in Shanghai by Nien Cheng. It's even more amazing than Wild Swans I thought, because of the author's description of the misery of her life under Mao. In fact I think it's the only book I ever read where I felt the author inspired me.

Changed my outlook on life though? Don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭corkdave

Porkpie wrote: »
    A book that really opened my eyes was 'Man's search for meaning' by Victor Frankl. He was a holocaust survivor. He describes how people can find meaning and happiness in their lives even in the most awful of circumstances, and how a need to find fulfillment in life is central to one's happiness.
    Same here. And around the same time I read "For Those I Loved" by Martin Gray. He lost his whole family in the Holocaust, met and married and had a family after the war, and then lost them all too in a house fire. Those two books inspired me because they showed the capacity of the human spirit. I understood then, more than any time before, that life is there to be lived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Brida - Paulo Coehlo
    His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

The Years of Rice and Salt, Kim Stanley Robinson.

I still re-read it every year or two.

Advertisement