Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Games With Bad Endings?

Options
  • 27-08-2009 4:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to think of some good games that have bad endings. Assassins Creed immediately springs to mind lol. Any others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Halo2

Crysis

FFX (
    the game peaks too early. You end up enjoying the point where the game comes full circle more than you do the actual ending, which was unmemorable.. you could argue its more replay value I suppose
    )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Em... I forget the name of the game, but you are an assasin type person in Russia somewhere, you work with differant factions, the end of the game you are granted a wish. What you get is based on your actions throughout the game... wasn't pleased with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Fahrenheit.

First 10 mins -
    Me: "Hey this game is really good".
    End -
    Me: "Jesus christ what the **** just happened?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

gears of war 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Fallout 3 before the DLCs. Loved the exploration in the early and mid game, but once you get stuck into the main storyline it's over in a flash and the ending sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Sraw

Shenmue 2.
    Loved it. But it peaks at the end of disk 3. Why oh why did they have a 4th disk with you running around the country side for 2 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Em... I forget the name of the game, but you are an assasin type person in Russia somewhere, you work with differant factions, the end of the game you are granted a wish. What you get is based on your actions throughout the game... wasn't pleased with that.
    That's S.T.A.L.K.E.R. isn't it?

I'd say every Mario game because you know the f*cking Princess is only going to get kidnapped again in the next game!

Far Cry 2 had a fairly ****ty ending.
    I wanted to side with the mercenaries and keep the diamonds, but it wouldn't let you. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

MoH AA.

Half-Life

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

kaimera wrote: »
    MoH AA

First one that came to mind. For such an excellent game that ending was utter rubbish.

I'd add to it Ninja Gaiden: Sigma and FEAR 2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I'll get slated for this...but its my opinion...and i DID understand the ending, I just hated it :P

Final Fantasy X (*holds up arms to block incoming attacks*)

and GTA3 , Fallout 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Sraw wrote: »
    Shenmue 2.
    Loved it. But it peaks at the end of disk 3. Why oh why did they have a 4th disk with you running around the country side for 2 hours?

i thought the ending was great, yea it peaks on disk 3 but the ending after the boring running on and on is really quite magical, thought provoking and set up a sequel very well which of course hasnt happened.

also on shenmue, both games literally have bad endings. i never bothered playing the game for so long to acquire them but worth a look on youtube if you're a fan. the second game's bad ending is particularly spooky and the better of the two if I remember correctly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Why the hate for FFX? I thought the ending was fantastic. I liked GTA3's ending as well, it actually made me laugh.

FFVII springs to mind for me. The storyline has taken a turn for bat**** crazy hours ago and I'm wondering if the designers rushed the game or going for something deep and meaningful. What you get at the end is a gorgeous but totally ambiguous and not very statisfying ending.

Almost all Id games have bad endings, Quake being a standour in the craptacular.

System Shock 2's was a bit weird. It was such an intelligent game up until right at the end when it went a bit too hollywoody in the final cinematics.

Maybe I'll have to play FFX again, but after 100+ hours at it...I wasnt happy at all.

Or If I can find a PS2 for cheap Im sure I have a save somewhere to load up again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

humanji wrote: »
    That's S.T.A.L.K.E.R. isn't it?

I'd say every Mario game because you know the f*cking Princess is only going to get kidnapped again in the next game!

Far Cry 2 had a fairly ****ty ending.
    I wanted to side with the mercenaries and keep the diamonds, but it wouldn't let you. :(

sounds like stalker alright, and thats only 1 of about 6 or 7 different endings

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Maybe I'll have to play FFX again, but after 100+ hours at it...I wasnt happy at all.

Or If I can find a PS2 for cheap Im sure I have a save somewhere to load up again

To be honest the european release really ****ed up the end game. Stupid dark aeons got in the way of all the side quests.

MOH:AA I suppose I have to add and concur with the MOH:AA, unbelieveable....terrible ending to one of my top games ever (and my fave multiplayer ever :D )

Metal Gear 2 Can remember it being stupid..all this waffle at the end, was rose real, was she a figment of his imagination..zzzzz

Portal *joke* :P

I'd say MGS 4 but it wasn't a good game to begin with :P

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Space Invaders. Saw that plot twist coming a mile off.

Maximilian wrote: »
    Space Invaders. Saw that plot twist coming a mile off.

Halo spoiled it for me. Same storyline :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I HATED MOH AA so the crappy ending was no skin off my back.

Bioshock, the scene 2/3rds into the game is f*cking awesome but it fails to capture any of the magic after that :(

the recent command and conquer games (red alert 3 and tib wars) both had god awful endings, I can forgive RA3 cause they pretty much let the whole plot go to waste without any characterisation, but tib wars actually did a pretty decent job getting you back in the tib universe and the ending is pretty much a cop out for a sequel (roll eyes for EA!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Bioshock ending was lame compared to the build up through the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Kung Fu Master.

Year ago (and I mean years), after hours of kicking and punching several shades of $h1£ out of generic baddies, midgets, dragons, snakes, magic balls and bosses accross 5 floors all to go save the unfortunately kidnapped Slyvia; when I finally finished the game, there I was at the bottom of the gaff again and the silly tart had gone and got herself re-kidnapped. It expected me to do it all again.

Wasn't too impressed at all at the time I can tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

ninja golf has a sucky ending too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

How can you say Halo 2 didn't have a good ending? That's so unfair, it didn't have an ending so you can't criticize something that isn't even there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Deus Ex, in a sense, had a problem with its endings due to quick-saves -- you could literally quick-save, see one ending, 5-10mins later do a quick-load, and repeat.

It kind of dampened the "world-changing decision" you made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I'd argue most games end poorly. It's rare to play something where the pacing, final fight or boss, story and cut scenes all come together but....

Halo 3's ending was a let down. You fought a little robot!

Fallout 3 too, it ended too suddenly, but the DLC made up for it somewhat,

I really liked the System Shock 2 ending except the bit where he goes 'naah' and shoots Shodan.

Also Minesweeper ends poorly. Stupid smiling faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Knights of the Old Republic 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Knights of the Old Republic 2.

It reminded me of the stories I used write for school and couldn't be arsed finishing i.e. I woke up. It was just so abrupt and unnatural. I wonder will the fan restoration effort ever be finished.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

silvine wrote: »
    I really liked the System Shock 2 ending except the bit where he goes 'naah' and shoots Shodan.
    It makes up for it with the Shodan reveal at the end though. Finished it on a creepy note.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

It reminded me of the stories I used write for school and couldn't be arsed finishing i.e. I woke up. It was just so abrupt and unnatural. I wonder will the fan restoration effort ever be finished.

I doubt it tbh.

Advertisement