Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Games With Bad Endings?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Why the hate for halo 2s ending? tbh i love cliffhangers so it seemed ok to me. If they put another 6minute warthog scene in there you would all hate on that too!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Why the hate for halo 2s ending? tbh i love cliffhangers so it seemed ok to me. If they put another 6minute warthog scene in there you would all hate on that too!
    I wouldnt. I loved the endings of both Halo and Halo 3 (the actual levels, not so much the endings).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Because the opening levels on earth weren't bad at all but when you left earth and the flood were milling about it was arse. Then just as you were about to go back to earth it ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Because the opening levels on earth weren't bad at all but when you left earth and the flood were milling about it was arse. Then just as you were about to go back to earth it ended.

for a guy who hates Halo, you know an awful lot about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    for a guy who hates Halo, you know an awful lot about it.

Would that not be obvious, he has to actually play the game to form an opinion on it and through playing the game he has knowledge of the plot. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

well i actually played halo 3 and halo 1 but just couldnt play them for very long, they are such unremarkable games

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭J.Ball

Silent Hill Homecoming. It went at a decent pace then just suddenly ended. With not one but over 5 different crap endings.

Red Faction Guerilla wasnt much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    well i actually played halo 3 and halo 1 but just couldnt play them for very long, they are such unremarkable games

They are well produced games but the story is indeed crap and they are very over rated.

I have played all 3 and I couldn't tell you the plot if you paid me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They aren't bad just generic and samey. Decent fun in Co-op. They just aren't anything really special compared to whats available on PC.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Vegeta wrote: »
    They are well produced games but the story is indeed crap and they are very over rated.

I have played all 3 and I couldn't tell you the plot if you paid me
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They aren't bad just generic and samey. Decent fun in Co-op. They just aren't anything really special compared to whats available on PC.

I tend to scoff at Halo. I can't see what's so special about them, considering all the great FPS's I've played on the PC.

I think one of the reasons it's so popular is that for a lot of people, Halo was the first FPS they ever played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

As said before, The ending to Bioshock was pretty disappointing.

Crysis: Worse than Halo 2. I thought the game had crashed it was so abrupt.
    I don't mind cliffhanger endings but it pretty much ends while you are in control of the character. The game had just ended and they should have left it there instead of tagging that bit on. I know they planned to do a trilogy but it still wasn't necessary.

Renegade 3 on the c64 (although it's debatable if it was a good game)

Here it is in a full playthough. Just fast forward to about 9:05 to see the ending

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HnhXb6PNg8

Target renegade's ending wasn't much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVvjftzfaGM

When you look at these games, I think we realise how much storylines have progressed in gaming :p.

Incidently: Just found a windows based remake of Target Renegade:
    http://www.target2008.com/target-2006/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Rezident

Stalker Clear Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Overheal wrote: »
    Halo2

Crysis

FFX (
    the game peaks too early. You end up enjoying the point where the game comes full circle more than you do the actual ending, which was unmemorable.. you could argue its more replay value I suppose
    )

By full circle do you mean
    coming across the ruins of Zanarkand? - epic moment - I keep going on about it but they way they suspended the normal battle music and just let "someday the dream will end" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xRCjjiTR7I) seamlessly while the battles play is brilliant. I think they could have made the sad endng a little sadder but it wouldn't have been very fitting to portary Yuna in a overly crybaby manner just as she is about to take power.

EDIT: Gothpunk: Do not read the above until you finish it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Someone remind me,What was the MOH:AA ending?God i loved the Omaha Beach level:P

**nm i checked now..Meh it was too young to care back then..a ending was a ending to me

There was a time when i woulda said Hitman Blood Money but it took me nearly a fecking week to find out
    He wasnt actually dead:P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd agree with Silvine that the vast majority of games end badly. Far too many games just throw in a quick epilogue of a cutscene after the final boss or battle or whatever (finished Red Faction Guerrilla a few days ago which is an example of this). I think the problem is that you invest so much time into a game that unless the game gives you a satisfying emotional send off or thematic conclusion for the characters and events you've come across it feels a bit sudden - can a two minute long cut scene really sum up twenty plus hours of play? Bioshock has been mentioned, and is a perfect example - an ending that has none of the complexity of themes the first two thirds of the game had, and after a fairly limp closing act too. Should definitely have had more more than two (well, three with one that was very slightly different if you were a bit indecisive) endings, and should have felt more open and less forced - it just feels like you don't have a say in the final outcome, ironic considering the philosophy of the game itself (as compared to HL which uses that lack of control to a sensible narrative conclusion).

MGS4 I'd consider a bad ending for opposite reasons - far too prolonged, and insistent on tying up every little pointless loose end. While all the characters at least get a send-off they deserve, again taking control away after four games is irritating. There has to be a sensible middle ground between extremely brief cutscenes and painfully long ones.

Worst ending of all time for me though is Halo 2. Weak single player component for the most part, and then a horrific and sudden cliffhanger that promises you the world and fails to deliver. Fine, Halo 3 continued from there (although not as well as you'd hope), but to hype up a massive battle for most of the game and then just cut to credits is cheap and insulting. The best part of the game is coming up, which will likely make up for the monotony and lazy design thus far, and then BAM! Wait for the sequel! **** you Bungie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

After the sequel thread in the movies forum thought I'd add 2 games here.

These games didn't necessarily have bad endings, however they ended on cliffhangers or at least a nod to indicate there'd be a sequel. But then they got canned and I'll probably never see a sequel for them

Star Wars: Republic Commando - Not going to ruin it, but the end was really just the beginning of a series of games, with a blatant cliffhanger (I know there was the sequel mod made but it's not the same)

Psychonauts: Great game, but this was really just the introductory game in a series which showed the training of the Psychonauts. It ends with them
    starting a new mission, having freshly graduated and flying off with their teachers to save the head of the Psychonauts
    . Now I'll probably never get to see what happened next :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I'm curious. What actually happened at the end of MOH:AA that everyone doesn't like?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I'm curious. What actually happened at the end of MOH:AA that everyone doesn't like?
    You hop on a train expecting to start the next level, except it fades out to black and the credits start rolling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Em... I forget the name of the game, but you are an assasin type person in Russia somewhere, you work with differant factions, the end of the game you are granted a wish. What you get is based on your actions throughout the game... wasn't pleased with that.

Completely OT but can I have your internet connection :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Kotor2's ending was really craptastic so gets my number 1 vote.

Dishonorable mentions.......

Crysis - very meh
    Monkey Island II - not funny just lame
    Bioshock - both endings sucked imho

But the worst ending of any recent game Iv played has to go to Farcry II as both final options are just ****ing retarded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You know about Crysis - I was chugging it on my laptop. So at the final cutscene,
    It just crashed when the cutscene faded to black, when youre staring into the whirlpool of the dead monster ship-eater. I had to reboot my machine and when I looked around for the next unlocked mission, there was none. So I was very confused.

2 days later I was telling this to some people in class and they just looked at eachother and laughed - I was innocent! they had to sit me down and explain "That was the ending." And I was like "No man, there was going to be another-" "-No Jon, there wasn't. Its over." My computer had just froze seconds before the credits began to roll.

After that I spent about 20 minutes expressing various connotations of "wtf!"

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Crysis. The first half is brilliant, goes to shíte in the second half of the game though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Definitely have to agree with Half-Life. The whole
    alien world
    seemed a bit last minute and thrown in.

Metal Gear Solid 2. Christ. What the hell was going on?

Metal Gear Solid 4. I loved the game. And I don't think it really had a bad ending as such; it's just that I wish they had tied up some of the loose ends earlier on in the game instead of just lumping them all into one giant mess of cinematic beauty. And that
    wedding scene
    . Why?

Strange that I honestly can't even remember half the games I've played, let alone the endings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

add batman arkham asylum to the list...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Metal Gear Solid 2 : It's just too long winded are impossible to keep up with on thefirst 10 attempts. It's like this story just comes out of the blue . I loved the game and the story line had me interested but yer man just lost it. He should've ended the game on its logical conclusion and then added in some extra DVD scenes or something...

Portal : Goes on way too long in that last level and it's just not as fun. It gets harder in some parts , well frustrating more like. The end just isn't satisfying enough to justify that last level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Far Cry. People complain about Crysis, but the two have exactly the same plot, pure balls

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Iv a soft spot for the original Far Cry. Yeah the trigen levels were lame but it wasnt as bad as the aliens levels in Crysis which went on far to long imho. Far Cry was unique in that it was such a big game compaired to how short most fps style games are these days.

Far Cry had a plot? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kiith wrote: »
    Far Cry had a plot? :confused:

Yup. In short:
    "****! Mutants!"

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure there was a hawaiian shirt in there somewhere too.

Advertisement