Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Games With Bad Endings?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

Street Fighter 2 and Shinobi.

Gave hundreds of 20p pieces and a good portion of my childhood to those coin-op machines and all I got was a cutscene of a man walking into the sunset.

I demand retribution!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Anonomyte

Im very surprised nobody has mentioned GTA IV here,
    We did it cousin...WHAT DID YOU DO?! YOU LOST YOUR GIRLFRIEND AND HAE NO MONEY AHHHHHHHHH!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Maximilian wrote: »
    I tend to scoff at Halo. I can't see what's so special about them, considering all the great FPS's I've played on the PC.

I think one of the reasons it's so popular is that for a lot of people, Halo was the first FPS they ever played.

My first FPS was Goldeneye, (EDIT: My mistake, I played Duke Nukem years previously) so I do have some romantic notions about Goldeneye (I know it has aged badly) I don't have any such feelings for Halo but I wouldn't scoff at it as there are a lot of things done well in the games and I wish some games would take a leaf out of their book.

I don't think I have ever encountered a bug in a Halo game. Music is distinguishable, the amount of customisation in multi-player is really good for a console game. Controls work flawlessly. Co-op again works really well.

Its just the gameplay is dated (majority of FPS games could be accused of this), level design is not a strong point and well we all agree on the shocking story.

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Portal : Goes on way too long in that last level and it's just not as fun. It gets harder in some parts , well frustrating more like. The end just isn't satisfying enough to justify that last level.

Wow I thought Portal had a really great ending

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Vegeta wrote: »
    My first FPS was Goldeneye, (EDIT: My mistake, I played Duke Nukem years previously) so I do have some romantic notions about Goldeneye (I know it has aged badly) I don't have any such feelings for Halo but I wouldn't scoff at it as there are a lot of things done well in the games and I wish some games would take a leaf out of their book.

I don't think I have ever encountered a bug in a Halo game. Music is distinguishable, the amount of customisation in multi-player is really good for a console game. Controls work flawlessly. Co-op again works really well.

Its just the gameplay is dated (majority of FPS games could be accused of this), level design is not a strong point and well we all agree on the shocking story.

Yeah it was extremely polished, I'll give you that but the last part of your post pretty much sums it up. It was just another generic shooter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think the problem a lot of people have with Halo is how well it was recieved by critics/reviewers, when it wasnt anything that special. It was a fairly standard shooter, with good graphics and great music (i'm a big fan of the music). No way in hell it was ever a 10/10 game, or even close to that.

But i also think that it gets too much flak from boards users because of it. It really wasnt as bad as some people are saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Rainbow 6 Vegas 1,screw you ubisoft!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Bioshock - terrible ending to a great game
    Any and all endings in street fighter 4. Cringeworthy.
    Resident evil 4 - lol worthy ending
    Dead space -
    OMG THE MONSTERS NOT DEAD AND IS IN YOUR SHIP EATIN YOUR FACE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Portal : Goes on way too long in that last level and it's just not as fun. It gets harder in some parts , well frustrating more like. The end just isn't satisfying enough to justify that last level.

Oh no hes one of the ones that never figured out how to get beyond the part where your moving towards the flames:D

Oh no hes one of the ones that never figured out how to get beyond the part where your moving towards the flames:D

Actually the last level of portal was ****. I just wanted it to end but it JUST. KEPT. GOING. A funny song at the end doesnt make up for an hour long level that was a bloody slog to get through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

0ubliette wrote: »
    Actually the last level of portal was ****. I just wanted it to end but it JUST. KEPT. GOING. A funny song at the end doesnt make up for an hour long level that was a bloody slog to get through
    How about finding out that
    the cake wasn't a lie?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm more worried about the boss taking an hour to beat. You weren't doing it right. :)

Maximilian wrote: »
    Yeah it was extremely polished, I'll give you that but the last part of your post pretty much sums it up. It was just another generic shooter.

I am not disagreeing with you just in case I came across like I was.

Mediocrity is praised too highly these days for my liking.

Mr E wrote: »
    I'm more worried about the boss taking an hour to beat. You weren't doing it right. :)

the boss took about 5 minutes to beat, it was everything after you
    go behind the scenes of the test centre that annoyed me. it went on for bloody ages, right when you knew you were at the end and jsut wanted to see the ending, youd find yourself in another bloody room with a puzzle in it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

GTA4 mainly because you could see the twists from a mile of and also because it left one character who had been trying to kill you
    Bulgaran
    alive was very WTF let me sort this out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought the boss at the end of valykria chronicles was a bit of a letdown although I did like some bits at the end. While the game was really good it kind of did a system shock 2 and peaked a bit early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Polar101

I'd argue that any ending is better than what Eye of the Beholder 1 had.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

0ubliette wrote: »
    the boss took about 5 minutes to beat, it was everything after you
    go behind the scenes of the test centre that annoyed me. it went on for bloody ages, right when you knew you were at the end and jsut wanted to see the ending, youd find yourself in another bloody room with a puzzle in it

Ah come on now, Portal was insanely short. Short but sweet and all that, but I mean, complaining about a part of a game taking bloody ages in a game that isn't even 2 hours long is pretty silly.

Advertisement